Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #256 of 734
GX is not available on the U7. Most of today's games don't use it any longer.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #257 of 734
Ok thanks for the info! Yeah I read the previous threadi just wanted more info about it .
I use a fidelio x1 most of the Time. I do use a beats pro once in a while if I needed no outside noises to be heard.

The Fidelio is easy to drive, so no problem with the U7. But the stock cable seems to have a bad influence an the sound. You might want to exchange it.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #259 of 734
I found a guy who's selling a Fiio Qogir E09K that I'd like to pair with the U7 to drive some DT 770 or 990 250 Ohms, but I'd really like some fast feedback from someone who's using a desktop amp with their U7; is it a good idea? And can you turn the built-in amp off in the sound card? I imagine having two amps hooked up as a bad idea.
Also, in terms of connections, is it PC -> USB -> U7 -> 3.5mm jack -> E09K -> 1/4'' jack -> headphones?

I'd appreciate some quick feedback so I know whether this amp would be of interest, thanks!

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #260 of 734
I think it's worth it, I use it to drive HD600 from my second setup (U7→PCSTEP→HD600) and really like it. But dont know how to switch off U7's amp, it would be interesting to know if it's possible.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #261 of 734
I just picked up the Razer kraken headset for gaming. Only to realize that I was in such a rush, I didn't notice it's usb connected to PC . I just assumed it was 3.5mm, crap, really wanted to hook it to my U7 last night. Can't use it with any of my DAC's.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #262 of 734
  I think it's worth it, I use it to drive HD600 from my second setup (U7→PCSTEP→HD600) and really like it. But dont know how to switch off U7's amp, it would be interesting to know if it's possible.

How does your amp connect to the U7? The E09K has aux in, which I assume is the one I should use? I want to preserve the surround stuff the Xonar does, which means I have to use the Xonar's headphone out to connect the amp, but what do I then plug into the amp? To my knowledge the E09K does not have a 3.5mm input on the back.
Would a 3.5mm jack to RCA do the trick?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #267 of 734
How does your amp connect to the U7? The E09K has aux in, which I assume is the one I should use? I want to preserve the surround stuff the Xonar does, which means I have to use the Xonar's headphone out to connect the amp, but what do I then plug into the amp? To my knowledge the E09K does not have a 3.5mm input on the back.
Would a 3.5mm jack to RCA do the trick?

The U7 has a line out. With an adapter RCA to 3.5 mm you can connect any amp. But you do not output Dolby effects this way. It is only Stereo.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #269 of 734
They make various usb to 3.5mm cables, as well as various RCA connections. I need a USB to 3.5 mm to use my U7. Now I'm using just the Razer surround sound software to drive my kraken headphones.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #270 of 734
Okay, well I plead ignorance. Just want to be sure I'm not shelling out for something that's effectively useless for my purposes, but it seems like everything's in order.
Would be strange if the E09K couldn't connect to a PC sound card, so it most likely can, and without any signal being lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back