Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #242 of 734
  Great thread, read all the posts. This sound card is on the top of my list, probably buying one on monday; first I have a couple of questions though:
- I plan on getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro with impedance of 80 Ohm; since some appear to be having trouble driving 50 Ohm headphones, should I expect any of the same problems? 
- As someone who's never owned an actual sound card and has never used surround sound in headphones, how does Skype handle it? I read that it's a bad idea playing music in surround mode, and I'm often on Skype while gaming and therefore wondering if the call will get all echo-y since the input is not 7.1.
- The last post in this thread was about using Razer software instead of DHTv4, any update on this?

Thanks in advance!

U7 can (at least in theory,though...) drive cans with more than 60 ohm impedance. I'm pretty sure that your DT-770 will perform at their maximum with this soundcard. As for the SKYPE i can assure you that will work brilliant and your mates will here you cristal-clear
smily_headphones1.gif
I play BF4 and i use SKYPE to communicate with my friends in the game and they hear me very well whithout any hiccups or interference. Don't forget to lower the microphone volume while on Skype,because at max volume your voice will be to loud and not so clear so your teammates can be a little...disturbed in those moments
biggrin.gif

I don't know anything about RAZER software,i using DHT4 just when i listen music (i have some twekings on the EQ). In gaming and movies i don't use DHT because i hear sometimes a little interferences or humming/buzzing. I guess DHT4 is not fully compatible with W7 X64. Take note that if a lower the sample rate to 16 bit/48 khz,interferences dissapear in movies and games,though... I prefer 24 bit/192 khz when i use my ROCCAT KAVE 5.1 headset,so i simply turn-off DHT.  For listening music i use a pair of PHILIPS SHP-3000 with 16/48 sample rate and Dolby EQ on. I played few matches with my PHILIPS cans and DHT virtual surround set to maximum with 16/48 rate and i was amazed about how good is virtual sorrund sound 7.1 ch in games. Of course is not so powerfull and accurate like a pair of 5.1 real surround headset with 24/192 s. rate,but very close. If you use your Beyerdinamic cans with virtual surround and 16/48,you will have a lot of fun in games!
Overall this soundcard has top performance for the price you pay
L3000.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #243 of 734
Thank you for a comprehensive response! Pretty excited, wish it would be monday soon.. I always get these great ideas of new purchases on the weekends when everything is closed; it's terrible..!

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #244 of 734
I use my U7>duet amp> HD-800, for gaming .
I really need a decent cheap 5.1 headset, to run in place if my HD-800. I've been looking, haven't settled on one I like yet. The Razer is a free download, so u can give it a try.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #245 of 734
Quick Google turned up some very expensive Senn HD-800, are those the ones you're using? Wow. In what way aren't they good for gaming? Is it positional sound accuracy or? I mostly want immersion as I rarely play BF4 anymore; I assume that for immersion the headphones need just generally good sound quality, probably with a focus on the lower frequency range.

By the way, I've gravitated toward the Audio Technica ATH-M50X as the switchable cables really appeal to me (I want to use the cans with my smartphone when traveling); the Beyerdynamic don't have much in  the way of portability, although people seem to generally prefer them (at least for gaming).

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #246 of 734
Yup, those are the ones. There fantastic for music, but for gaming, as you know we tend to get a bit excited at times. And flipping a pair of $1500 headphones , after your killed, isn't the smartest idea. There ok for positioning, but I really just want a gamers headset. I was looking at Best Buy the other day. They had lots of nice ones, going back again today. The ATH-M50x are a nice choice.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #247 of 734
Haha, good point. I don't think I would even dare to put on such an expensive pair of cans in the first place!
Very excited about going to the music store tomorrow to have a listen, I hope my HTC One can adequately represent the headphones. Maybe I should pick up the Xonar U7 on the way and bring my MacBook for a proper listening session 
atsmile.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #248 of 734
Yup, those are the ones. There fantastic for music, but for gaming, as you know we tend to get a bit excited at times. And flipping a pair of $1500 headphones , after your killed, isn't the smartest idea. There ok for positioning, but I really just want a gamers headset. I was looking at Best Buy the other day. They had lots of nice ones, going back again today. The ATH-M50x are a nice choice.

I use an AKG K702 for gaming, it was recommended by MLE in his thread about gaming with headphones. This can is very solid build and can take some beating.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits
It is very neutral sounding and is very helpful for sound whoring, i.e. lets you know where the enemy is. It works flawless with the U7 BTW and I use the gaming preset from DHTV4. I am very satisfied with the Dolby surround simulation for headphones BTW.
And a good headphone on surround simulation and a separate mic is most of the time better as a gaming headset. An exception is the Beyerdynamic MMX300 for sure, as it is a decent headphone with a mic.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #250 of 734
Never tried the sound blaster, I do sometimes hook up my AK-240 dac, and use the Razer surrond sound . But I think the Dolby may be better. I think you'd be happy with the U7, order off amazon, and return if u don't like.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #251 of 734
Never tried the sound blaster, I do sometimes hook up my AK-240 dac, and use the Razer surrond sound . But I think the Dolby may be better. I think you'd be happy with the U7, order off amazon, and return if u don't like.

I have tried the Razer surround sound and it is very similar to the omni's headphones mode. The 5.1 surround sound on omni kind of sucked on headphones since I couldn't hear parts on my screen. I did own dolby gaming headphones before, (logitech g930, turtlebeach dx11, etc) and I did like the virtual surround sound on those, just not the headphone quality =\ . So I am curious if the virtual surround sound on the u7 is similar to the headphones I mentioned?

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #252 of 734
According to previous posts in this this thread, the Xonar U7 uses the Dolby Home Theater v4, which is apparently a re-branding of the well-known Dolby Headphones. So I'd imagine the surround is about the same as those headphones you mentioned. I don't own the sound card myself yet, so can't definitively confirm.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #253 of 734
 So I am curious if the virtual surround sound on the u7 is similar to the headphones I mentioned?

Yes, but depending on the headphone you drive with the U7 better to much better.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #254 of 734
According to previous posts in this this thread, the Xonar U7 uses the Dolby Home Theater v4, which is apparently a re-branding of the well-known Dolby Headphones. So I'd imagine the surround is about the same as those headphones you mentioned. I don't own the sound card myself yet, so can't definitively confirm.

Ok thanks for the info! Yeah I read the previous threadi just wanted more info about it .

Yes, but depending on the headphone you drive with the U7 better to much better.

I use a fidelio x1 most of the Time. I do use a beats pro once in a while if I needed no outside noises to be heard.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #255 of 734
Does the U7 have GX 2.5/3? Or none at all?

In the past I have used a Xonar DGX, with the GX button enabled.
In game for Counter-Strike Global Offensive, I have snd_legacy_surround 1
Audio options 5.1 instead of headphones

That setup sounds great for positional audio I find with my PC 360's.

I'm just wondering if GX still exists on the U7. I don't see it on the main page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back