Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #196 of 734
Yes, I also get a rattle. I remember doing these tests when I got my headphones. Even at under 20Hz I can feel a rumble like a massive truck passing nearby. This is so even with my onboard sound device, so it must be the headphones.

But I haven't noticed any problems when listening to music. My favorite track for checking headphones is Massive Attack - I Against I. It has a lot of different sounds, high and low.

On a different note, I installed Krystal Audio Engine, and a trial for Cakewalk Sonar, and both let me play with good latency.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #197 of 734
I was looking for another external USB sound card after my old one does not support Windows 8. 

Is this significantly better than Creative X-Fi HD USB Soundcard? I want to listen to music, have a volume control and be able to switch between headphones and speakers quickly but I really want excellent sound for 80GBP/130 USD.

I am so tempted to buy this right now. 68 GBP!

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #198 of 734
While I was doing my research I came up on a direct comparison between Asus Xonar U7 and Creative X-FI. I can't seem to find it now, though I remember that the reviewer was slightly inclined towards U7.

What I can say is that, apart for the few problems I had with the U7's line-in (which I solved acceptably - see my previous few posts in this thread), it's an excellent buy for me.
Consider that it's my first external sound device, though. I only had integrated sound cards.

Last night I bought a phone jack-to-RCA adapter, to plug my desktop speakers in the U7. I have my headphones plugged in at all times, and the switch from one to the other goes well. There's around half of second of silence between redirecting the sound to the other output, but it's not a problem.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #199 of 734
Last night I bought a phone jack-to-RCA adapter, to plug my desktop speakers in the U7. I have my headphones plugged in at all times, and the switch from one to the other goes well. There's around half of second of silence between redirecting the sound to the other output, but it's not a problem.

Thanks for you reply.

I thought I was just able to keep my speakers plugged in at the back and when I needed my headphones I'd just plug them into the front jack for headphones. Have I been very confused?

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #200 of 734
No that is what you can do. For the speakers you might need the aforementioned adapter. If you have both, speakers and headphones, connected, you can press the volume knob to swich between both outputs.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #204 of 734
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you could offer me some advice on the xonar U7.

I purchased it the other day to temporarily supplement my audio until I invest into some big time audio equipment as well as requiring an optical out jack. I was expecting it, at the very least, to offer a slight lift to my SRH1440s, which drive quite well off the onboard sound with Realtek HD audio. I figured, as they are a 32ohm headphone, it should be fine. 

However I have found that they don't seem to have the full rich sound and vivdness that I seem to get off my onboard (rear panel only, though.) There is a thinness in the mids and a less punchy and rich bass. There is less clarity, which is disappointing as the 1440s (with double-stacked pads) are able to be gently revealing while still being dreamy and rich in sound. the volume tends to be the same, if not slightly lower. Bear in mind that this is compared to the stock Realltek HD audio that came with my computer and only applies to the rear panel jack.

Where have I gone wrong? Have I at all? I am thinking of packing it back up and going for a dedicated amp, but that doesn't necessarily offer me the spaciousness and virtual surround (realtek has it but it feels lacklustre) that is nice during gaming.

Thoughts, Head-Fi?

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #205 of 734
Is it possible that you have some equalizer enabled on your Realtek? try using the software that came with the U7, and see if it helps...

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #206 of 734
And avoid using any surround settings in the XEAR panel. Only use the Dolby software for that. The Xear stuff just sounds awfull and off on headphones.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #207 of 734
I eventually decided to return the U7, yesterday. It was not an easy decision, and I am convinced that it is a great device, but the latency issue makes it unsuitable for playing/recording instruments.

I am now thinking to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Behringer U-Phoria 202, which both have the direct monitor option.
While U7 was $100, these others are $160-180.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #208 of 734
Yes I think for producing music, you need a professional device. A friend of mine uses a Focusrite and it is also a good headamp.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #209 of 734
Hello, I just got the U7 for my Laptop a few days ago. Now I am not very well informed on this matter, so please bear with me if my questions sound stupid.

Anyway, I already have been using the Xonar D2X on my Desktop, where I grew very fond of the stereo to 5.1 upmix possibility (receiving a stereo signal and putting it out as 5.1). I was hoping to achieve similar results with the U7, but I find no such option in either the Xonar panel nor the Dolby Home Theatre one. Can somebody here maybe explain to me what I'm missing? Just fyi, I have the U7 connected directly connected to a 5.1 analog system.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #210 of 734
The upmix only works for headphones on the U7. If you connect a 5.1 speaker system it can only output 5.1 if the source is 5.1. And for headphones it works very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back