Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #166 of 734
I heard good things about it, It has a big amp but sacrifices a little audio quality compared.
And apparently the sound is too fake or enhanced. mainly good for games etc

This is just what I heard. Never used it myself.

Quick question though, I have a Xonar U7 and Sennheiser HD598's, and am feeling like this U7 isn't driving them enough, I can put them on high gain at 100% while being comfortable. I ordered a USB powered HUB to check that it's not the power from the laptop.

I need a higher volume as I play piano through a VST.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #167 of 734
  I heard good things about it, It has a big amp but sacrifices a little audio quality compared.

Quick question though, I have a Xonar U7 and Sennheiser HD598's, and am feeling like this U7 isn't driving them enough, I can put them on high gain at 100% while being comfortable. I ordered a USB powered HUB to check that it's not the power from the laptop.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks

as I said in my review, unfortunately the U7 is not all that power-full, only thing you could try is getting a dedicated headphone amp, and use the u7 as a DAC..

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #168 of 734
Oh :frowning2: I read the review but didn't think it would be this quiet. I will try the USB hub anyway as I have ordered one. It may have to do with the fact I am using a midi keyboard as well as the soundcard next to eachother. 

What external Amplifier do you recommend with the asus as a dac?

Also how quiet would my recordings be if there not even loud enough for my headphones with the internal amp? I presume the amp in the xonar only does headphones?

Thanks for the help

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #169 of 734

Any ideas guys?
Thanks

I have the AKG K702 running on medium gain and it is more than loud enough to be too loud @ 60%  for me. The K702 is a hard to drive can it takes 3x the power to get to 90dB than you HD 598 if we belive Inner Fidelity. Did you notice the switch on the underside of the U7? It needs to be set to USB 2.0 to enable the U7 completely. You might want to check that.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #171 of 734
Thanks for the advice guys, I checked the usb 2.0 setting and it was on.

So maybe this isn't good enough to drive these headphones :/ I tried a usb powered hub and that made no difference. I can comfortably listen at full volume on high gain. This is trouble if I want to play piano.

Do you think I should send it back and get another one? OR maybe a different one? It needs to be for a notebook.
I only have a gaming laptop and a music one. So usb is the only option.

I really like the sound of this Xonar, can't I just get a cheap amp to plug in the output of the xonar?

Thanks again for helping out

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #172 of 734
Hello,

I was thinking of purchasing the U7. I will use it on my Win7 64 bit PC, for listening to music and capturing sound from my Korg synthesizer.
I have a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-T500 with 40 Ohm impedance which I will use with the U7.

I was wondering about the line-in of the U7, as no one seems to mention it (I read the entire thread, and also searched google, with no luck).
My main concern: is the line-in stereo? I realize it could be a dumb question, but I'm considering that the microphone - which is usually mono - shares the same input with line-in.

Apart from that, is the line-in quality acceptable? Can I get low latency with ASIO?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #173 of 734
Hey just to answer a few questions about the U7, Yes the line in is for a Mic, it is stereo so you have the option to plug in a Mp3 player etc. (The control panel lets you choose whether the input is Line in or Mic) It has a tremendous Mic boost, I have it on 10% haha. I haven't found a way to have mic playback like the realtek onboard would so :/ Havent really tested it out yet. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #174 of 734
And also the ASIO has 4ms latency on 16 or 24 bit. It can be changed if you want to higher levels maybe to increase sample size if you need it. My main problem is I have 50 ohm headphones (HD598's) and is too quiet when using Kontakt player to play piano. I need a headphone amp to put after the U7 that won't change the sound but will amplify for my headphones without distortion. Turning the volume up on Kontakt makes horrible crackling noises. So would really appreciate the help

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #175 of 734
  And also the ASIO has 4ms latency on 16 or 24 bit. It can be changed if you want to higher levels maybe to increase sample size if you need it. My main problem is I have 50 ohm headphones (HD598's) and is too quiet when using Kontakt player to play piano. I need a headphone amp to put after the U7 that won't change the sound but will amplify for my headphones without distortion. Turning the volume up on Kontakt makes horrible crackling noises. So would really appreciate the help

Popular Head-fi amps: Fiio E11, PA2V2, Fireye Mini Plus.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #176 of 734
Thanks for the reply, I like the Fiio one. 
A few questions if I may:
1.Does charging and using at the same time cause interference (If not how long does it last?)
2.can it accept an analogue input such as 3.5mm jack?
3.Will it change the sound effects or quality of my U7?
4.what kind of gain can I expect? 
5.I use my HD598's through my U7 a 100%+High gain and am comfortable, is this normal or faulty?

Thanks for the help guys

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #177 of 734
If you play music from a program like media player or the likes, is the listening level the same, or is it louder?

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #178 of 734
I find that if I am using youtube etc I can turn the volume up in flash player and that's good enough but in Kontakt player that causes distortion. The pianos are really good but something in my setup makes my Kontakt distort. I really like the Xonar U7 because of all the features. I found an amp called the Objective 2 and am really interested in getting it to run a setup like:
Laptop>U7>O2>HD598's  ?

How would that work out? (Ill probably velcro the Xonar and O2 together and make some kind of elaborate design.)

Thanks for the help

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #179 of 734
That is a perfect idea. The O2 should be able to drive your HD598 with ease.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #180 of 734
That is Awesome, you have made my day, that is exactly what I wanted to hear :)

This means I can use the O2 for playing piano, listening to music and games. But also have the U7 for my Mic, Dolby and EQ and 7.1 if I ever want to.
One last question, On realtek there was an option to turn Mic playback volume up to hear myself through headphones, Is there a way to do this on a U7?
The U7 has a playback option but has delay :/

Thanks Pietcux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back