Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #106 of 734
So I've been using my U7 for a day now combined with HD650.

At max volume, I notice the treble distortion (I don't exactly know the word for it) you'd normally hear when you'd turn up the volume too much on a TV, for example.

Is it expected or one of the components is too less/too much for the other ?

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #107 of 734
  So I've been using my U7 for a day now combined with HD650.

At max volume, I notice the treble distortion (I don't exactly know the word for it) you'd normally hear when you'd turn up the volume too much on a TV, for example.

Is it expected or one of the components is too less/too much for the other ?

Did you select the gain setting according to your needs? Low gain could be less than what the D 650 needs. I would run it from either medium or high gain. Then you should not have to max out the volume. But as I have sold the HD 650 long ago, I cannot test it for you.
See this for the explanation:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread#post_9545846

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #108 of 734
  Did you select the gain setting according to your needs? Low gain could be less than what the D 650 needs. I would run it from either medium or high gain. Then you should not have to max out the volume. But as I have sold the HD 650 long ago, I cannot test it for you.
See this for the explanation:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread#post_9545846

Thank you but I already was using it at high gain.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #109 of 734
Thanks for all the great insight on this DAC / Amp, I'm strongly considering purchasing it in favor of other external DACs such as the Audioengine d1 or Aune models.

One question I had, for owners of the device, is regarding the volume control. Is the volume control 'software' based, i.e. driver-dependent, or does it occur post digital conversion in hardware? In other words, when turning the volume knob, does the volume level in Windows or in the device's driver software move, or is it an entirely analog adjustment that uses a built in amplifier? Hopefully the way I've worded this question is clear, I'd really like to know.

The other thing I was wondering was regarding Mac compatibility. I use both Windows and Mac, and although I'm sure the dolby functions, driver software etc. probably wouldn't work with the Mac OS I was wondering if the basic audio functionality and volume control works. The manual for the u7 says that it's supposed to work with Macs in USB 2.0 mode, which is a little counterintuitive since USB 1.1 is usually 'driverless', but in any case if anyone has tried fiddling with the device on Macs I'd be grateful for any insight you have.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #111 of 734
  Thanks for all the great insight on this DAC / Amp, I'm strongly considering purchasing it in favor of other external DACs such as the Audioengine d1 or Aune models.

One question I had, for owners of the device, is regarding the volume control. Is the volume control 'software' based, i.e. driver-dependent, or does it occur post digital conversion in hardware? In other words, when turning the volume knob, does the volume level in Windows or in the device's driver software move, or is it an entirely analog adjustment that uses a built in amplifier? Hopefully the way I've worded this question is clear, I'd really like to know.

The other thing I was wondering was regarding Mac compatibility. I use both Windows and Mac, and although I'm sure the dolby functions, driver software etc. probably wouldn't work with the Mac OS I was wondering if the basic audio functionality and volume control works. The manual for the u7 says that it's supposed to work with Macs in USB 2.0 mode, which is a little counterintuitive since USB 1.1 is usually 'driverless', but in any case if anyone has tried fiddling with the device on Macs I'd be grateful for any insight you have.

It works on a Macbook Air. The volume control works fine. The sound is very good. The gain setting was probably low. The AKG K702 was not overly loud. But besides that you have no settings. The function is very basic. Due to Christmas my son who is a Mac fan is with us so I could finally test it. SPDIF was also available.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #112 of 734
Hey, thanks for the response.

By S/PDIF I assume you mean the optical output, since the u7 has not optical input. Good to know.

So, when adjusting the volume, does it adjust the system volume on the Mac? Or is the volume 'post-dac' stage?

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #113 of 734
It is the system volume of the MAC and yes it is optical out.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #116 of 734
Dunno about the E10. But the U7 provides you with Dolby Headphone and has a very good headphone amp. The Fiio E12 is more powerful though. But is only on amp, no dac. I am fine with the U7 for gaming. If you buy thr U3 and use its optical out, you can feed the E10 with the Dolby signal and benefit from the E10 amp section.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #117 of 734
Dolby Headphone is still not able to be used properly with this product FYI. I know there a few that may disagree with me but I know enough about how Windows works to know that Dolby Headphone will absolutely not function correctly if it is not receiving multi-channel audio from Windows under Windows Vista +.

Again, since Windows Vista most applications/games output audio based on what you have selected in windows. When in Headphone mode the U7 driver only allows two channel (stereo) audio. This is unlike the STX, or any number of other sound cards where you can run the thing with Headphone out but still select 5.1/7.1 in Windows/the driver control panel.

This becomes a problem in regards to using virtual surround as when you have the DH DSP active it is only taking two channels and applying any environmental effects it typically does. Without the driver receiving multi-channel audio from Windows due to the stereo limitation this is what happens.

Again, this is an easy fix with the U7 driver itself, but do not buy this product if you wish to use Dolby Headphone. It simply will not work. You can argue with me all you like that it is working, but logic dictates it cannot without receiving surround from Windows itself. To confirm that this is an issue go into any Game that typically reports what you also have selected in Windows and all you will see is Stereo. If the game see's stereo it's sure as **** not going to be handing off anything more then two-channel audio to windows/the driver.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #118 of 734
  Dolby Headphone is still not able to be used properly with this product FYI. I know there a few that may disagree with me but I know enough about how Windows works to know that Dolby Headphone will absolutely not function correctly if it is not receiving multi-channel audio from Windows under Windows Vista +.

Again, since Windows Vista most applications/games output audio based on what you have selected in windows. When in Headphone mode the U7 driver only allows two channel (stereo) audio. This is unlike the STX, or any number of other sound cards where you can run the thing with Headphone out but still select 5.1/7.1 in Windows/the driver control panel.

This becomes a problem in regards to using virtual surround as when you have the DH DSP active it is only taking two channels and applying any environmental effects it typically does. Without the driver receiving multi-channel audio from Windows due to the stereo limitation this is what happens.

Again, this is an easy fix with the U7 driver itself, but do not buy this product if you wish to use Dolby Headphone. It simply will not work. You can argue with me all you like that it is working, but logic dictates it cannot without receiving surround from Windows itself. To confirm that this is an issue go into any Game that typically reports what you also have selected in Windows and all you will see is Stereo. If the game see's stereo it's sure as **** not going to be handing off anything more then two-channel audio to windows/the driver.

Do you own the U7? I mean, you are correct about what Windows is showing, but I have the U1, had the STX and have the U7. I have the same amount of surround effect with each of those, only Windows shows only two channels with the U7, my ears hear 7.1 though. I asked Dolby about this and they assured me that the U7 receives as much discrete channels as the source can provide. I was also thinking, am I missing something here? But anyways, the surround is there for me.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #119 of 734
pcharouz, really great review...indeed!

I have a Xonar U7 card since 6 months ago and I'm enjoying it. I usually listen mostly to FLACs on AKG K550 headphones and sometimes to K701. There is plenty of volume for K550 on medium gain setting (32-64ohm) and there is almost enough volume for K701 too, but on the highest gain setting (64-150ohm). I preffer driving the K701 through O2 headamp, which sounds much louder and a bit fuller than U7.

Anyway, seems that U7 has the same opamps as Audioengine D3 ($189): LME49726MY (which are designed for audio purposes: http://www.bdtic.com/DataSheet/TI/LME49726.pdf), according to http://chinese.vr-zone.com/84937/asus-xonar-u7-usb-soundcard-hand-on-review-10142013/ or to http://vrzchinese.blogspot.com/2013/10/asus-xonar-u7-usb.html or to http://www.hksilicon.com/kb/articles/276268/ASUS-Xonar-U7-USB, to http://pclab.pl/art53890.html and to http://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=127891&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a. Feel free to use google.translate.com or anything else to read the reviews properly. There are plenty of pictures with PCB with electronic parts too.

Have fun reading and a happy new year to all, 
Raul.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #120 of 734
Is the U7 fully compatible with Mac and OSX? Just plug and play with the USB?
The Asus site says the U7 Echelon will work with OSX without extra drivers, but it does not mention the regular U7...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back