Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 734

1. Will this offer 7.1 vSurround on any headset? Even ones like the Sennheiser PC360 that isn't advertised as a 7.1 headset?
Yes.
2. Would I still have need for equipment like Astro MixAmp etc that I have heard about? Or the Sennheiser PC363D's additional amp-thing?
No.
3. Is there anything specific I need/should do to ensure the equipment delivers it's best or will it take care of things pretty much automatically? (I see some headsets come with EQ presets..dose this as well?)
No.
4. It's just PC - USB - XU7 - 3.5 jack - Headset right? No other complicating connection mess required?
No other demanding components

Thanks for all help given to a man sinking in the vast new ocean that is quality audio :)

Some headohones might need amplifiers, though.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #92 of 734
  Some headohones might need amplifiers, though.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment, Davidsh.

Out of curiosity (know this is prolly asked a lot):
Are there any other headsets, that would pair up well with the XU7 that are good for gaming and has a decent mic, that I should consider over the PC360?

For example Plantronics RIG or Plantronics PC 363D?
These have their own amps (i think) so would I not need the Xonar U7 with these?

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #93 of 734

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment, Davidsh.

Out of curiosity (know this is prolly asked a lot):
Are there any other headsets, that would pair up well with the XU7 that are good for gaming and has a decent mic, that I should consider over the PC360?

For example Plantronics RIG or Plantronics PC 363D?
These have their own amps (i think) so would I not need the Xonar U7 with these?

Well, hard to say. The only other headset I can recommend is the beyer mmx300. Or perhaps the siberia v2 in some cases. You ain't gonna find a lot of opinions on headsets here on the forum.

Else, theres the antlion modmic and others like it or just an external mic.

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #95 of 734
I use pc > U7 > AKG K702. And a stand alone mic that came with my Xonar U1. Works perfect.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #96 of 734
Yeah, I probably would have gone the ModMic way if they were available and cheaper to get imported.

I've also noticed that some sets come with USB only, or if you want to utilize the Plantronics' mixer you have to use USB.
Is there a way to connect something like the mixer through the U7 and get the best of both?

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #97 of 734
Hello,

Just purchased a pair of HD650 yesterday.

Hi-fi enthusiasts in Turkey have recommended Matrix M-Stage Dac/Amp to go with it whereas I had Asus Xonar U7 in mind.

Gaming-wise which one should I go for? Music-wise, would U7 be trampled too badly by Matrix ?

Thank you.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #98 of 734
  Hello,

Just purchased a pair of HD650 yesterday.

Hi-fi enthusiasts in Turkey have recommended Matrix M-Stage Dac/Amp to go with it whereas I had Asus Xonar U7 in mind.

Gaming-wise which one should I go for? Music-wise, would U7 be trampled too badly by Matrix ?

Thank you.

It's the matrix m-stage with the m-stage DAC, right?

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #100 of 734

It's the matrix m-stage with the m-stage DAC, right?

Yes, dac and amp.

If I am not mistaken, the m-stage should have optical input, right? If so, you should get the u3 (it's pretty cheap), as it has optical output. You can also get Dolby Headphones (virtual surround) and all the other effects out of the optical output. I'd suggest you do it that way.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #101 of 734
  If I am not mistaken, the m-stage should have optical input, right? If so, you should get the u3 (it's pretty cheap), as it has optical output. You can also get Dolby Headphones (virtual surround) and all the other effects out of the optical output. I'd suggest you do it that way.

Umm, the correlation between optical output and Dolby please?

I've been away from my Logitech Z5500 for more than two years so I've completely forgot what's what about audio connections, forgive me.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #102 of 734
You can use all the features of the u3 with the good sound of the matrix m-stage, provided the m-stage has optical input (which I think it has?). Like this pc->u3->m-stage->headphones.
Dolby headphones is virtual surround, good for gaming

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #104 of 734
It's your money, but the hd650 is said to need some proper amping to sound good. I doubt the u7 will deliver as well as the m-stage.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #105 of 734
The HD 650 is not too hard to drive. The U7 can do that very well. I use my AKG K702 for gaming with the U7. And even that one is good for music on the U7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back