Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #76 of 734
My U7 doesnt support OS X. What a bummer considering I have a Macbook and the U7 is marketed as a portable DAC.

Any workarounds to get it working in Max OS X?
The volume knob works, but it affects the volume of the laptop speakers.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #77 of 734
Sorry but that is the discount of the Apple world. Asus had Mac drivers for the U1 years ago, but they disappeared soon. But the U7 was never marketed for Mac usage. It is a pc component.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #79 of 734
You might want to install Windows then to get a proper OS finally.......Lol!!!
Just kidding.....

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #80 of 734
  My U7 doesnt support OS X. What a bummer considering I have a Macbook and the U7 is marketed as a portable DAC.

Any workarounds to get it working in Max OS X?
The volume knob works, but it affects the volume of the laptop speakers.

try using the USB 1.1 mode!

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #82 of 734
Got mine from Amazon UK

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #83 of 734
Hi! I have some questions about xonar u7.
Is it possible to connect ex: Fiio e10 to xonar u7? so I'll have for example my 5.1 speakers to xonar and then I'll output to e10 from my xonar.
I bought xonar u7 but I would like to use a better amp or dac/amp for my headphones.

I mainly use u7 just because I can put my mic and output to my 5.1 but is it possible through spdif to output to a better dac/amp for my headphones?. If so, what are your recommendations? max 200$

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #84 of 734
Is the sound like the stx ?(as someone stated in the thread) for me that means harsh and bright , if so , i'll cross this of my list of cards to replace my stx !!

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #85 of 734
Figured I'd post some thoughts about this device. I purchased one as I sold off my top of the line Desktop for a new Alienware laptop. The Alienware laptop like most things these days had the generic Realtek audio. Was using a STX in the desktop paired with some Q701's so I wasn't willing to take a step back on the audio department with my Laptop.

Anyways, while it is technically inferior to the STX I have to say I personally find the sound of the U7 to be better. This likely has to do with not being inside a noisy computer case.

The control panel of the U7 is pretty crap IMO. It has everything you need. It's just not easy to access. The STX's control panel had everything you needed right on the main page. Easy to access and easy to change. Now, the U7 does have the ease of being able to push the volume button to switch between headphone/speaker output. Still, other options are buried in the U7's control panel.

Finally, there is a serious issue with the U7 control panel / drivers in regards to Virtual Surround. The U7 offers both XEAR Surround, and Dolby Headphone. Good. Great. I wanted Dolby Headphone as I game a lot. ... What's this? The most channels I can select in Windows/U7 Control panel are two? Can't select 5.1. Can't select 7.1. I basically can't tell Windows, and thus the games that I play that I want audio to be passed to the U7 with all channels. This means that while the U7 has Dolby Headphone it is worthless. Dolby Headphone needs the surround channels passed to it to work properly. Switching to the speaker output gives one the option for 5.1/7.1 but you can't hook up headphones to the left/right jacks and expect virtual surround to work properly as when you select anything more then stereo for the speaker output the U7 is passing the extra channels to the additional jacks as it should.

I assume this is just an oversight in the drivers, but come on guys.

Other then that I find it to be an outstanding product when compared to the also outstanding STX.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #86 of 734
Dolby assured me that you get all available channels passed through but a headphone simply only has 2 speakers, so Windows shows only 2. The 7.1 signal is complete, but must be virtualized to 2 channel as there are no more. I also had teh STX and still have the U1 which uses the same interface as the STX. The sound via Dolby is as good as the U1, but has a much higher quality.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #87 of 734
Dolby assured me that you get all available channels passed through but a headphone simply only has 2 speakers, so Windows shows only 2. The 7.1 signal is complete, but must be virtualized to 2 channel as there are no more. I also had teh STX and still have the U1 which uses the same interface as the STX. The sound via Dolby is as good as the U1, but has a much higher quality.

I don't see how this is possible. Yes, headphones are stereo. The problem is that with the U7 windows will only allow 2 channels passed to the u7 itself. With the STX you can set it to 7.1 while using the headphone out, then Dolby Headphone can do its job.

This is a serious oversight in the U7 drivers.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #88 of 734
I can only tell you from playing games like COD Ghosts that it works perfectly. Sure I had the same What like you, but setting the channels to 7.1 in the STX interface did not alter the surround effect at all. You know two speakers cannot get real 7.1 channels, it has to be simulated. Maybe you select a movie with good surround effect andtest it. switch Dolby on and of while watching. just in the Dolby panel is the on/off button. Testing it with LOTR DVD The Bridge of Karzad Dhum. The goblins are all aroud me, perfect version of headphone surround....

atsmile.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #89 of 734
The problem is that with the U7 windows will only allow 2 channels passed to the u7 itself.

Technically, it is probably not the U7 that does the virtualization itself in hardware, but the C-Media/ASUS Windows drivers in software. So, the audio data passed to the U7 via USB is most likely already stereo.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #90 of 734
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write this thread!

I am a noob when it comes to audio in general. I have always skimped on the soundcards and equipment and could use some help now to finally get some decent sound in my games.
I got a laptop with the standard Realtek audio and I started this search looking for a good headset for my Battlefield 4 days. And getting virtual surround sound is something I desire.
I have been stalking the Sennheiser PC 360 and a couple of others that claim to offer 5.1 and/or 7.1.
But I quickly realised that my lappy would need help with running these so thus I stumbled upon a mention of the Xonar U7.

Now to my question(s):

1. Will this offer 7.1 vSurround on any headset? Even ones like the Sennheiser PC360 that isn't advertised as a 7.1 headset?
2. Would I still have need for equipment like Astro MixAmp etc that I have heard about? Or the Sennheiser PC363D's additional amp-thing?
3. Is there anything specific I need/should do to ensure the equipment delivers it's best or will it take care of things pretty much automatically? (I see some headsets come with EQ presets..dose this as well?)
4. It's just PC - USB - XU7 - 3.5 jack - Headset right? No other complicating connection mess required?

Thanks for all help given to a man sinking in the vast new ocean that is quality audio :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back