ASUS Xonar STX vs. DAC + Amp
Jan 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RobLikesBrunch

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have an ASUS Xonar STX and am enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm off to college soon, and I will be unable to take my computer with me--which entails that if I want to keep my STX, I will have to build a new computer exclusively for audio (it'd be rather low-powered...so it would cost about $500-$600). I will have a ThinkPad T4010s for all my other computer needs.

I have never heard a better audio set-up than my Xonar STX--so even though I like it a lot, I'm really only comparing it to the craptastic integrated audio I had before.

So my question is, is it worth it to build a computer just to get the STX going, or should I simply go for a USB DAC and amp (which I could spend about $400ish on...as I'm not building the computer (the leftover $200 is going towards two external 1.0TB drives that I'll mirror in RAID 1 for all my music)?

And if I do the USB DAC option...what would be options (I have zero knowledge of USB DACs)? Also, I USE LINUX. So the DACs must be compatible.

EDIT: I'll be using Sennheiser HD595s & SR325is with whatever option.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 16
Keep in mind in this post I don't have a ton of experience, it's just my observations/opinions/suggestions.

I would say a DAC/Amp combo. I'm sure for $400 you could get a combo that could output sound better than the Xonar. There's so many flavors and options... I don't have the experience to recommend any, especially for $400. I think you should start a thread asking for a DAC/Amp combo for $400.

Just my 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your STX. You´ ll have to spend a big amount of money to beat the top of the line Texas Instrument Burr Brown 1792A DAC included in your Xonar.

A DAC is not just about what DAC chip is used, but more about how it's used.
As for the topic at hand, I'm also interested in this. At what point is the external DAC+AMP (combo) much better than an STX?

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Thats what i would like to know having an stx i wonder for example compared to a x-can v-8 ,schiit asgard, or Burson ha 160 would they be a big difference in sound quality or would it be relatively small improvements. i would rely like to know.Any experience out there.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 16
You should have made your own thread, Mike. This one's nearly two years old.

The answer to your question depends entirely on what headphones you're using.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks ,Hi. im using Denons d5000 any match made in heaven for those phones. Thanks, started an other thread nothing so far.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 16
I would avoid the Essence STX for those Denons. Avoid anything with a high output impedance, try to get something with 1 ohm or lower (Essence STX has 10 ohms). It's not often published, so try to dig and ask around. You really don't need much power at all for the D5000, just worry about output impedance and cleanliness of the signal (noise and distortion will be the info you'll most often find published, but usually measured in best-case scenarios).

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for feedback. Actually im running the 5000  with Musicbee> asio > essence stx . is there danger for the phones. it what way does this alter sound quality. Thanks for your time.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 16
No danger, and might not be a big sonic difference when it comes to frequency response. You're reducing the electrical damping of the headphones, which means the drivers might ring more (keep moving even without a signal). An amp with a lower output impedance might tighten up the bass response and make it quicker, and might have better sub-bass extension. A general rule of thumb is to have an output impedance lower than 1/8th of the headphone impedance.

Lots of mights there. No idea how big a problem it would be, just not something you want.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks again.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 16
But since my denon d-5000 impedance is 25 ohms woudnt stx output of 10.7 ohms be ok or like you say would be better if it was around 2 ohms output or less is that correct. so low output amps  solid state or some hybrid amps as long as output is solid state. like schiit asgard. i guess. any ideas on that. Thanks for the help.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
But since my denon d-5000 impedance is 25 ohms woudnt stx output of 10.7 ohms be ok or like you say would be better if it was around 2 ohms output or less is that correct. so low output amps  solid state or some hybrid amps as long as output is solid state. like schiit asgard. i guess. any ideas on that. Thanks for the help.

i am curious about this also...i have an stx with a denon ahd2000 and a senn hd600, and soon getting a hifiman he 500. 

What desktop amp can i connect the digital out pcm from the asus xonar stx to that will give a significant increase in sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back