asus xonar hdav1.3 opamps
Feb 28, 2019 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scruffy1

100+ Head-Fier
it's sorta like the essence stx, but there's no specific headphone out

and as such, i am confused as to what the secondary (pair of) opamp positions are doing sound wise

the primary slot serves the front 2 channels, and in that respect the burson v5 dual is doing a very fine job presently (where the dual mount opa627 used to live)

can anyone clarify what the other sockets are serving - presently a pair of default 2114d do whatever they do, and my brief attempt with dual mount opa627's sounded worse, so i presume they do something :)

8842145.jpg

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 4
in the absence of replies, i put the v5i's in the iv slots

does it sound better ? well, it sounds really good, but as the v5 went in the primary slot oinly earlier in the week, i'm not sure i have enough experience with that in situ to tell, although i have general sense that it's improved some

it would be instructive to have someone tell me it can't have any effect, and i will know i am deluding myself with observer bias and be educated

thanks y'all

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 4
additional observation :

it sounds great from the other room, but sitting in front of it at lesser volume and the stage is compressed and voices are way back in the mix

in a moment of clarity, i realise that the default opamps are rated from 3-22v, whereas the opa627's start at 4.5v and the v5i start at 5v

perhaps the iv slots need to hold opamps with lower minimum as the voltage supplied in the secondary slots might be under 4v

NJM4556A and AD823AN start at 2v and 3v respectively :)

will report back after i source and try them

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 4
ad823's ordered from china - here's hoping they're the real deal, but meh ! if they sound better i don't mind if they ain't

the dual opa627's i got from fleabay years ago cheaply were a vast step up from the default primary - who knows if they were "real" ones ? my ears rejoiced anyway

meantime tried the LM4562NA i found in the stash of gear i had accumulated from somewhere - rated 2.5 to 17v - quite good at low volume, crowded as the decibels climbed

the ad823's are rated 3 to 36v, and i am presuming that means they will exceed the abilities of the 2114's at 3 - 22v rated, but i have no technical prowess to assess that though - but for under us$4 i will let my ears do the task

Users who are viewing this thread

Back