Asus Xonar Essense STX Sound Card - Glitch with the right channel
Apr 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EthanHarte

New Head-Fier
I recently built a new computer and decided to put an Asus Xonar Essense STX sound card in it. Yesterday I was playing some music pretty loud (I went downstairs and wanted to still hear my music) and when i was downstairs, the music stopped playing for a second and then continued. I went upstairs to see what happened and only my front right speaker was working. So i tried other sources like an iPod and a laptop and those worked fine. It was only when i was using my computer so i think it is the sound card. I took out the card to check for blown capacitors and i dusted it off. It looked fine so i put it back in and i was still only hearing sound out of the right front speaker. 

I checked if it was software by reinstalling the drivers and something weird happened. After the reboot of the computer, I was able to hear sound out of every speaker. BUT, when i turn down the volume on my computer, the volume of my speakers become out of sync (the right is louder than the left). When i have the volume all the way up on my computer, the volume of my speakers becomes synced and sounds how it should. Because of this I have made a temporary fix. If i turn the volume all the way up on my computer (syncing the volume of the speakers) and I use the receiver volume as my main volume control, it will act like it should. The receiver does not make the volume of the speakers go out of sync.

I am really confused because i have read about people having a high pitched noise from the right speaker or a hiss from the right speaker. My issue is similar to theirs but slightly different. Is it software or hardware?

Set Up:

-My computer
   -8GB RAM
   -64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
   -Asus Xonar Essense STX sound card
   -MSI R7770 Graphics Card
   -BioStar TA75 MH2 Motherboard
   -AMD A series A8 Processor

-My System
   -Pioneer Elite vsx-40 Receiver (connected to the sound card via digital optical)
   -Front Right, Front Left, are Klipcsh RB-61
   -Center Channel is RC-52 II
   -the surrounds are an old pair of JBL
   -the subwoofer is an old pioneer

-My Software
   -Audio format is 24 bit flac
   -Music program is Foobar
   -I am on the newest version of the xonar driver and software
         -48KHz
         -2 Channels
         -2 speakers
         -PCM is checked

I am only 17 and dont know much about speaker software or equipment so if i am doing something wrong with the settings or some simple mistake be sure to let me know.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Ethan Harte

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I would say it is software issue.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 5
This smells analog hardware damage. Do you have any other device to test optical input on this receiver?

Also, check analog outs from the STX as it could be software after all.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
This smells analog hardware damage. Do you have any other device to test optical input on this receiver?

Also, check analog outs from the STX as it could be software after all.

The reason I say it is software issue is because volumes are properly matched at full volume & volume on this card is totally managed by software, not hardware.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 5
If your system is connected to a receiver through optical cable and your speakers are connected through the receiver, then your sound card should output full volume and you control the speaker volume with the receiver. I would suggest any imbalance you have is coming from the Windows setup. Go into your control panel/Sound and check the sound card settings. You will find a tab that allows for adjusting the volume in each channel. It may well not be selected at full volume for both channels. Also, if you are using two speakers you may want to check to see if it is set for stereo in the control panel. If it were set for 5.1 for example, that would produce poor results for stereo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back