Asus Xonar Essence STX - Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Problem, plz help
Oct 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DeLuX

100+ Head-Fier
Hi im a long time reader, first time poster. I need help and i figured id start my quest for static-free audio here as you guys seem to know your stuff.

Ok I have the following system:

MSI P67A-GD55 Socket 1155, P67
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/XMS3
Core i5 2500K
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 460 1024MB OC
Asus Xonar Essence STX
XFX P1-750S-NLB9 ATX 12V
Mionix Saiph 3200
Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1

I've been using the Xonar STX to power my HD 650's as well as my DT 770 pro. I recently decided to get the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1. Now when i hook up the A1 to my Xonar STX using RCA i get quite noticeable static from my computer (beeping och humming which differs depending on what i do on my computer, scrolling a website seems to be the worst).  I've tried to connect the A1 using the headphone out (just to test) and the problem persists, unchanged.

I also tired hooking up a Firestone Audio DAC, and then connect that to my Maverick Audio A1, still the static was there!
Also I tried switching places for both the Asus Xonar Essence STX as well as the GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 460 1024MB OC. No difference! When i connect, say an iphone, via line in the static goes away (still theres some humming but thats what i expect from a tube amp).

Oh I allso tried uninstalling the drivers for my mouse, as a friend said he had heard about that beeing an issue.
Allso i have un/reinstalled the Xonar Essence drivers, and i have tried the UNi drivers, all wit the same result, static!  

So now im at a loss, this is driving me crazy and i cant think of what to do/try next.. All and any help would be greatly appriciated!

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 3
I assume the TubeMagic A1 has a grounded AC connector, and your problem is caused by a ground loop. There are a number of possible workarounds for this issue, but the simplest one is to drive your headphones with the sound card, which already has an amplifier that is good enough for the HD650. But if you do not want to use the TPA6120 amplifier, then you could try to eliminate the ground loop, use another (non-grounded) amplifier, or an external DAC with galvanic isolation from the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back