ASUS Xonar Essence STX Impressions
Dec 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 34

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 34

Quote:
Hey beowulf,

I actually got the STX because though my onboard + Asgard sounded fine, there was a lot of weird pops/squeals/whining noises in the back that were really annoying to listen to when there wasn't actually anything playing or when it got to a quiet part in a song. I suspect the noise is coming from my power supply or video card but never bothered to troubleshoot it further. Everything in my room is plugged into a power filter.

In any case, the 1/4" out on the STX had no noise as far as I could tell even at the loudest volumes, but the noise problem persisted on the RCA outputs. Sound wise, I think the bass sounded a little more powerful on the STX over the Asgard but nothing to rave about. Considering the Asgard was $250 and the STX was $180, I would say that the STX was the better buy, but only because I don't really take my headphones out of my house. Schiit's Bifrost looks pretty interesting though for $350 and would definitely have waited for that instead if portability was something I was looking for. My computer is rather heavy so I don't take it anywhere. :p

I have the 650's which are 300 ohm impedance if I remember right. Not entirely sure how much the impedance effects the amount of noise that comes through... but like I said, even at very high volumes I don't pick up any noise on the 1/4" out. Hope this post helps even if it was a little late.

Sounds like you have a ground loop problem when using the RCA out as the RCA should be even quieter that the headphone out.

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #34 of 34
I just got today my Xonar ST, what tweaks would you advise me to do for the best headphone listening?
Whats the thing with WASAPI? and D.C coupling???
That was me in 2011, since then I have continuously used this card, with 2 x LME49990 and OPA627AU, the clock oscillator Vanguard TCXO mod, no output caps.I am still using it today.
The clock mod was a very good choice, definitely noticed the change, on the minus side, the weak drivers support was/is a hassle sometimes.
Also finding the right layout on new motherboards to insert this card is starting to be a problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back