ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX II 7.1 - VS. - External AMP/DAC
May 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BAKU

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

Firstly, I think I am supposed to post here first? Not entirely sure, but I believe that is what the message said. 

So I am looking into getting the ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX II 7.1 for my workstation. However, I had read on one of the forums that there can be a problem with internal sound coming through the card. So I am wondering if I should run sound through my motherboard sound card or use an external AMP/DAC to my headphone and sound system? 

Please note: 

- I am aware of the double amp situation with the STX II 7.1 to an external amp, I was thinking if there is a work around or another method. 

- It is important to note that I will be doing work on this computer in post production sound, so I am going to be running a separate Pro Tools HD system on the same computer. The STX II 7.1 and external AMP/DAC is more for playback for game and movie projects. 

Thanks,

May 30, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 6
  Firstly, I think I am supposed to post here first? Not entirely sure, but I believe that is what the message said. 
So I am looking into getting the ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX II 7.1 for my workstation. However, I had read on one of the forums that there can be a problem with internal sound coming through the card. So I am wondering if I should run sound through my motherboard sound card or use an external AMP/DAC to my headphone and sound system? 
Please note: 
- I am aware of the double amp situation with the STX II 7.1 to an external amp, I was thinking if there is a work around or another method. 
- It is important to note that I will be doing work on this computer in post production sound, so I am going to be running a separate Pro Tools HD system on the same computer. The STX II 7.1 and external AMP/DAC is more for playback for game and movie projects. 

Electrical noise generated inside the computer case can be picked by an internal (add-on or on-board) sound card.
If your using a modern motherboard and your not running multi-able graphics cards, you may not have to deal with that issue.
Going with an external DAC/amp is a good way to play it safe.
If you get an external using USB, it will bypass any sound card (add-on or on-board) features.
Using S/PDIF (optical?) external will allow you to still use the sound card features.

If you get a ($350?) Schiit stack (Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber).
It will give you a headphone jack and separate line-output (2-channel) for your sound system.

What is your sound system?
What headphones do you have or plan on buying?

May 31, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 6

Electrical noise generated inside the computer case can be picked by an internal (add-on or on-board) sound card.
If your using a modern motherboard and your not running multi-able graphics cards, you may not have to deal with that issue.
Going with an external DAC/amp is a good way to play it safe.
If you get an external using USB, it will bypass any sound card (add-on or on-board) features.
Using S/PDIF (optical?) external will allow you to still use the sound card features.

If you get a ($350?) Schiit stack (Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber).
It will give you a headphone jack and separate line-output (2-channel) for your sound system.

What is your sound system?
What headphones do you have or plan on buying?

The wonderful thing is that this will be a blank slate, and I am open to all suggestions. OoO! 

I normally use Sennheiser HD 280 and Sony MDR-7506. I typically use these with record in location. However, I was thinking Sennheiser HD 800 for use playback at home, but right now it is up in the air. I am getting a headset for game playback, I keep roped more and more into small game projects for some strange reason. O.o? So I am looking for something for movies and TV - I don't necessarily need it for music, but again I am open to suggestions. 

Typically the place I do editing and mixing use Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors, the mono/computer are through center Logitech speakers, I forget the model, then an EV for 5.1 to 7.1. I don't need to go that intricate, however I would like a system that I can modify and fix down the line. I'm fine with getting a couple studio monitors I could possibly modify. (I'm trying to self teach myself electronics and acoustics to get the best and most efficient sound out of my equipment; I had done a lot of recording work where it would have helped to modify or fix equipment and save money.)

The computer I am building will have dual graphics SLI GTX970 with intel I7 processor. I am rethinking the internal sound card and am most likely going with the "Schiit stack". I would really like something isolated that can take the processing off my processor, it looks like Schiit will do it, but I would like to research more. 

For cost I am looking for the whole "bang for your buck". I am willing to spend a bunch in certain areas if needed if that means everything then so be it. This will be over the next year that I am going to be purchasing everything. I am switching from more of contract based work to full time permanent work with contract work on the weekend. 

Thank you both! OoO!

May 31, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Here are a few things to consider

1) For gaming, the best headphones are not gaming headsets but regular headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

2) You might be interested in Garage1217 headphone amplifiers that you can put together yourself: http://www.garage1217.com/index.html Or the DAC and Objective 2 amps which you can also assemble: https://www.jdslabs.com/store/#featured

3) Sound cards add so little overhead to the CPU, I wouldn't worry about how a soundcard will impact your system performance. This was maybe a concern fifteen years ago, but a core i7 is so bleeding fast it just doesn't matter. If you buy the cheapest sound card that has the virtual surround features for gaming and movies that you like, either Xonar or Soundblaster, if you connect an optical DAC you can use the DSP from the sound card but get all the benefits of the external DAC. So might as well save money there if all you need the sound card for is the DSP.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello, 

There won't be any double amping if you use the RCA line outs.

Moreover, I haven't noticed any noise from my STX (the original one). I do however have a high quality power supply and motherboard.

One thing to consider though, is that it will take a PCI(-E) slot; if you plan to add more extension cards it could become a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back