Asus Xonar Essence STX bugs & problems
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #47 of 64
Sorry if I copy/paste what I said in the other thread:

I think the problem of screeching with xonar stx might be related to a defective Ram.
Recently I removed a stick of RAM because random problem occurred, recently my computer even refused to start.
I think there's a bug when using two sticks of 2Gb, or it come from my motherboard, because memtest couldn't in the past detect anything.
The ram I  use is from G-SKILL  (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #48 of 64
I think the screeching noise maybe due to the videocards audio drivers. Just don't install those drivers, it gives you a choice. I have windows 7  64 bit and have never had a single problem.

i7 3930K
Asus P9X79 Pro
Corsair 32gb (4x8gb)
Corsair 1200w psu
EVGA GTX 580 Classified

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #49 of 64
its not the ram or video driver

the w7 driver of the card are bugged
btw a guy talked to customer service
and here the result:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20090222084608127&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20STX&page=7&count=72

ANSWER FROM ASUS

so after some mails i got an answer from asus about the problem

1st there is no solution and
2nd it is not a general problem, if it would be one many users would have reported this bug and send there card back but nobody did this

REPORT THIS BUG TO ASUS WITH THE CONTACT FORM

asus thinks only a few people have this problem
and won't fix it
they just say disable onboard sound (and if u already have)  try older drivers....

so there is no help and no fix from asus
and there will be no fix for it !!!!!!!!!!
unless ALL people here will report the bug
but i know that nobody will so live with the bug and risc your headphones

the only thing u can do is use another soundcard or go back to xp

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #50 of 64
Ouch... Nice reply there from ASUS.

I'm getting the ST for my Win7x64 in a week or so. I'll keep this thread posted about whether or not I get the screech. If I do, I've decided I'm going to run two Operating Systems on my PC. A main one for gaming, movies and general storage and a second one dedicated to high end audio, work and the digital creation of music. I'm thinking of making the second OS WinXP - what do you guys think? What do you think is the best OS from which to run high end audio phones (especially with the Essence ST in mind)? Maybe a mac OS if I can get one?

Sorry for reviving the thread, but I reckon this problem still deserves our attention considering how many actually have the card and/or the STX.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #51 of 64
Owner of the Essence ST here. Never had problems besides the windows boot-up pop. No music screeching/freezing here. 
I have onboard soundcard set as Windows default when listening to music. J River Media exclusively uses the Asus souncard on Wasapi. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #52 of 64

Quote:
Owner of the Essence ST here. Never had problems besides the windows boot-up pop. No music screeching/freezing here. 
I have onboard soundcard set as Windows default when listening to music. J River Media exclusively uses the Asus souncard on Wasapi. 

Good to hear! The less buyers remorse the better.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #53 of 64
I happen to have an "all-Asus®" Windows box, specifically a CM1630-06 packing EAH6850 DirectCU® video and XONAR® Essence STX audio (the STX being the subject of this Thread) plus an Antec® TP-750 PSU to keep everything fed, running Microsoft® Windows® 64-bit 7.0.8001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601).  Having a lot of Internet video and music activities elsewhere, I use an offboard custom LinUX box to handle audio preprocessing for any video that I have to stream from the CM1630.

I found that only the analog-output section of the STX suffers from the screech, which appears symptomatic of loss of negative feedback in the I-V circuitry (the STX ships with two JRC2114D dual operational amplifiers in the I-V, but can be upgraded to (as of March 2012) Texas Instruments®-marketed dual op amps such as the Brown-Burris® OPA2187 or National Semiconductor® LME49720NA or LME49860NA mentioned on other Threads).  As I found with the LinUX box's Creative Laboratories® SB0350 PCI audio card and SB0250 I/O Drive on the receiving end of the STX' S/P-DIF, an external DAC (such as the FIIO® E9 mentioned among the previous Posts this Thread) fed from the STX' S/P-DIF output (coaxial or optical) should run normally even with the STX' local speakers in a steady scream.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #54 of 64
I'm using my Essence STX straight from the delivery date with linux only, ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 in my case.
When i'm hiding under my HD 650, i hear always a "tick" sound when booting up, means when i log into Ubuntu.
Also, when the System is into Suspend Mode, and wake up from that mode, it shuffles Headphone 1+2,
so i must set manually under Sound Preferences my Headphones to 1, otherwise i don't hear any sound,
that sucks...but for myself it's way better than using WinDOS....i've upgraded ALSA to 1.0.25 some months
ago, and the sound is way good. (Using LME49720HA OpAmps, but Upgrade to LME49990 OpAmps
is on schedule)

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #55 of 64
For people that have problems on win 7, I suggest to install this hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653312
I'm not sure it's the fix, because the problem of screeching is very rare for me.
But since it's a hotfix related to sound, install it anyways.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #57 of 64
So after upgrading from Xonar DX (which had high pitch problem sometimes - VERY uncomfortable!) to XONAR STX I have right headphone static noise problem. It happened 5 days after fresh windows 8.1 64 bit installation, I tried to switch to UNIxonar drivers and back to Asus beta drivers (for windows 8.1 there is NO better official drivers) but static noise is there. Prior to fresh windows installation I had the same problem and managed to solve it by taking out sound card form PC and putting it back and reinstalling drivers.

Any soultion to right headphone static noise?

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #58 of 64
Hi all, since i cant opet new thread (option nowhere present), i gonna use this one to try to get help from u guys, cause im having a really strange problem with this sound card.
Two days ago, all was fine, working perfectly for a couple of years.
But today some really weird problem occures, when i play some song, video, game, anythings, vocals are so silent, i can barely hear them on max volume, and other sounds are present, and with good tone, but not clean like they were, but artifical and strange a little. Something is wrong, that is for sure.
I did only two things that maybe, made me this problem. First, i uninstaled HDMI audio drivers from my graphics driver, cause i dont use it, and force uninstal it at device manager, cause windows instaled its owned... and it was sometime without any driver, but when this problem appeared, i put back hdmi drivers, but didnt help.
Second is, my case was close to the window for some time, and it was really cold, and when i tried to turn on comp, so power splashes happend, but all was working good.
I saw my sound card, checked it, no damage on it, no weid smell on it, i tried other cable for power too, no help, same situation.
Only thing left to do tomorow its to try new pci express slot. I also reinstaled all drivers, whole windows, tried some other drivers, nothing helped.
Also gonna try it on my frend comp, and if its the same, i gonna have to take it to the service, and i dont have warrenty.
Im afraid if it is broken, but weird, it works just fine with some sounds, and so weak in others, i cant put my finger on it...

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #59 of 64
I tried another pci express slot, no improvement, same result.
I discoverd in bios that my sound card is not named asus xonar essence stx, like it should, but PCI to PCI bridge.
That was the same on previous slot, cause that was slot of graphics card where i sticked it, cause i didnt have any other avaible slot, and it was working good for years, but when problem occured, maybe motherboard thought its a graphic card, since its in it slot, and send more power to it than it should, and named it PCI to PCi bridge, i dont know, im talking mambo jumbo.
Im thinking about flashing the bios on the sound card, is it safe for me to try that in this hard situation?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #60 of 64
  Hi all, since i cant opet new thread (option nowhere present), i gonna use this one to try to get help from u guys, cause im having a really strange problem with this sound card.
Two days ago, all was fine, working perfectly for a couple of years.
But today some really weird problem occures, when i play some song, video, game, anythings, vocals are so silent, i can barely hear them on max volume, and other sounds are present, and with good tone, but not clean like they were, but artifical and strange a little. Something is wrong, that is for sure.
I did only two things that maybe, made me this problem. First, i uninstaled HDMI audio drivers from my graphics driver, cause i dont use it, and force uninstal it at device manager, cause windows instaled its owned... and it was sometime without any driver, but when this problem appeared, i put back hdmi drivers, but didnt help.
Second is, my case was close to the window for some time, and it was really cold, and when i tried to turn on comp, so power splashes happend, but all was working good.
I saw my sound card, checked it, no damage on it, no weid smell on it, i tried other cable for power too, no help, same situation.
Only thing left to do tomorow its to try new pci express slot. I also reinstaled all drivers, whole windows, tried some other drivers, nothing helped.
Also gonna try it on my frend comp, and if its the same, i gonna have to take it to the service, and i dont have warrenty.
Im afraid if it is broken, but weird, it works just fine with some sounds, and so weak in others, i cant put my finger on it...

Ye actually ran into a known issue with the C-Media® CMI8788 DSP itself:  Under certain circumstances the internal ID registers can be overwritten.  The Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project has archived an article on remedying the issue in AFUDOS or FreeDOS or equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back