Asus Xonar Essence STX bugs & problems
Dec 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:
Also, I think that if I would get this card, I would keep the onboard enabled because I can keep the speakers on that source and the headphones on the Xonar.

Or you can run the speakers from the Xonar's line out RCA jacks (with an adapter if necessary), and switch between the two in the driver's audio center. That'll get you the Xonar's DAC.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #32 of 64
My speaker's aren't that high-end, and they're also 5.1. So the Xonar is out.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #33 of 64
Random but, anyone else experiencing Skype crashes when trying to change audio settings with the essence? ;;

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #34 of 64
The only screeches I have been able to reproduce was when I was listening to audio and then tried to playback a video thereafter. For example if I stop the audio I was listening and then try to start playing the video, the audio feed in the video would make a screeching sound. I'm not sure why it does that? I also sometimes hear popping noises when another audio source tries to access the card. Apart from that it is a fantastic product!

To Lily, haven't had any problems with Skype on my machine.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #35 of 64
Is the screeching tolerable? You don't sound to disturbed about it.

My Skype / Yahoo also crashed at times due to weird stuff in the audio drivers. I think Windows 7 treats audio a bit....... dubiously. Too many programs / products crashing. Can't be all the manufacturers' fault I reckon. Come to think at it, I had issues on Windows XP 32 bit as well. But then again, IM programs are VERY poorly written!

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #37 of 64

Quote:
Is the screeching tolerable? You don't sound to disturbed about it.

My Skype / Yahoo also crashed at times due to weird stuff in the audio drivers. I think Windows 7 treats audio a bit....... dubiously. Too many programs / products crashing. Can't be all the manufacturers' fault I reckon. Come to think at it, I had issues on Windows XP 32 bit as well. But then again, IM programs are VERY poorly written!

Yeah like MSN required a lot of GPU resources & is written to read off as a 3D application (meaning any forced settings for games will effect the look of msn too) :/ I found it. need to disable all the special modes, that fixed it for me.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:
The only screeches I have been able to reproduce was when I was listening to audio and then tried to playback a video thereafter. For example if I stop the audio I was listening and then try to start playing the video, the audio feed in the video would make a screeching sound. I'm not sure why it does that? I also sometimes hear popping noises when another audio source tries to access the card. Apart from that it is a fantastic product!

To Lily, haven't had any problems with Skype on my machine.

This is precisely the problem I have encountered.

=========================================================================

Just had my first experience with the loud screeching noise today.

I was listening through JRiver Media Center using ASIO and clicked on a HD Youtube video to leave it loading. I stopped the Media Center reproduction and as soon as I clicked play on Youtube I got a ridiculously loud screech on my left side. It lasted for a half second.

I tried to reproduce it by following the same steps, but I couldn't.

I am using the latest official drivers. I don't know if switching to the Unified Xonar drivers could do me any good, since I've already had problems with them.

As far as support from Asus goes, I'd stay away from Xonar soundboards and choose the DAC approach. I am even seriously considering selling mine and getting a Fiio7 + Fiio9 bundle. Same prince range, and better sound quality.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 64

Quote:

Can you back that up? Not trying to be confrontational, genuinely interested.

Hello Mr vyyne,

I believe it's already become common sense around these waters that going external is the best way to ensure better sound quality. The e7+e9 combo has been recommended relentlessly in this forum. A quick Fiio e7 Fiio e9 bundle will get you there.

Honestly, 200 dollars for a piece of hardware that needs a ton of tweaking is not worth my hard-earned money.

I also own a Creative Titanium HD, which I am also selling, and that is yet another piece of hardware that I won't miss. I though that upgrading (at least I thought I was upgrading) to the Xonar STX would be a great experience. Boy, wasn't I wrong!!!

I have to say it was a rewarding experience in the sense that you can get much better bang for you buck on the 200-250 dollar range if you purchase an external functional equipment. Well.... that's definitely where I am going.
etysmile.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:
Hello Mr vyyne,

I believe it's already become common sense around these waters that going external is the best way to ensure better sound quality. The e7+e9 combo has been recommended relentlessly in this forum. A quick Fiio e7 Fiio e9 bundle will get you there.

Honestly, 200 dollars for a piece of hardware that needs a ton of tweaking is not worth my hard-earned money.

I also own a Creative Titanium HD, which I am also selling, and that is yet another piece of hardware that I won't miss. I though that upgrading (at least I thought I was upgrading) to the Xonar STX would be a great experience. Boy, wasn't I wrong!!!

I have to say it was a rewarding experience in the sense that you can get much better bang for you buck on the 200-250 dollar range if you purchase an external functional equipment. Well.... that's definitely where I am going.
etysmile.gif

Hello Mr henriquerp,

There's no such thing as common sense on audiophile forums.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:
Can you back that up? Not trying to be confrontational, genuinely interested.

Technically, it is false. Both the E9 and the Essence STX have the same headphone amplifier chip (TI TPA6120A2) with the same output voltage and impedance, but the Xonar has a better DAC than that of the E7, and overall the system has lower noise and distortion with the STX than with the E7+E9. Also, the E7 is more limited in functionality and only supports 48 kHz/16 bit (that is obviously enough for CD audio, but the extra resolution is useful for any digital processing like EQ etc.). Of course, going external does have its advantages, as the components can be used independently of the PC, and, as already noted, Windows users are less likely to run into problems related to buggy drivers.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 64

Quote:
Technically, it is false. Both the E9 and the Essence STX have the same headphone amplifier chip (TI TPA6120A2) with the same output voltage and impedance, but the Xonar has a better DAC than that of the E7, and overall the system has lower noise and distortion with the STX than with the E7+E9. Also, the E7 is more limited in functionality and only supports 48 kHz/16 bit (that is obviously enough for CD audio, but the extra resolution is useful for any digital processing like EQ etc.). Of course, going external does have its advantages, as the components can be used independently of the PC, and, as already noted, Windows users are less likely to run into problems related to buggy drivers.

That was a lovely explanation. Thank you.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #45 of 64
stv014: Yeah, thanks for the info. Too many people with buggy drivers so I decided to not buy the ASUS. Also, going external gives me more OS independence, which is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back