Asus Xonar 'Essence' card in the works
Nov 3, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the benefit of using ASIO or KS when listening to the music? Aren't they only useful for musicans?

Thanks.

That's to bypass Windows' KMixer which degrades sound quality. Check here for more info.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #47 of 62
But will Xonar Essence STX performan any better if using ASIO or KS?

Will it become SNR126? :p

Sorry if this questions is stupid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

I think most decent sound card will sound better with ASIO/KS.

I might just get this card when it's released, if it's better than my current sound card, then I'll keep it. Should be interesting...

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Will it become SNR126? :p

Sorry if this questions is stupid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Theoretically yes, at least for WinXP (Vista has a much better sound architecture actually. No KMixer crap in there. Check the thread I linked to here above.).
Also note that the Xonars probably have an ASIO driver, so you don't need ASIO4All (unless the official drivers suck
tongue.gif
).

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #51 of 62
So... ur... sorry to ask again.
I know ASIO improves multi-track recording quality, but in terms of playback quality, ASIO and KS will improve Xonar Essence STC, or any other sound card, in which way?

SNR or THD+N? or anything else?

Thanks for clarifying again.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #52 of 62
Since the ASIO technology was designed for recording it allows high resolution audio to pass through with very little latency. Some other technologies such as MME, actually can force downsampling in certain situations. All the Xonars I have tested, which has been pretty much the entire line-up have a ASIO driver included in the cards drivers.
Which is good because the Xonars usually have a very good recording section..

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #53 of 62
So my question is will the longer or shorter latency affect the playback quality?

Latency will surely damage the recording quality, but it doesn't seems to matter when playing back.

So what's the benefit of using ASIO when playing back music through headphone and headphone AMP?

Just to clarify: I'm dying to get this card, WHEN IS IT COMING?!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #54 of 62
ASIO, KS and WASAPI allow you to bypass the Windows Kmixer which degrades quality. So your player will be talking directly to your hardware without a layer (Kmixer) that would degrade the audio quality.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #55 of 62
As to the Molex connector, I think this is a better way to go. First it is a more direct route from the PSU not running through the mobo becoming "dirty" from EMI and RFI. If you look at the pictures they are also using higher quality filtering caps then what is usually seen on other cards. They are the large purple ones right after the molex connector. If I had to guess I would say they are OS Cons...nice caps.
This card will be able to swing from +12 to -12, as with the molex connector right there this would be the optimal way to go.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #56 of 62
What's the benefit of having +12 to -12v?

:p thanks for the new lesson today.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #57 of 62
This card looks promising, but I will have to wait for some reviews before hopping on it. For now, the Auzen Prelude is in the mail.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

What's the benefit of having +12 to -12v?

:p thanks for the new lesson today.

Without getting too technical, the more "room" a opamp circuit has to use to reproduce the signal the better.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #60 of 62
Any word when this will be released? I have been waiting for a while for some reviews of this vs the Claro Halo before I make a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back