Asus Xonar 'Essence' card in the works
Oct 27, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the Specifications, much better..

I may just be blind, but do you have links for specifications?

Honestly, if its just a lot of high numbers, taken even higher, the quality isn't going to be better by any integer factor greater than one (oh yeah, thats right), however it could be "better enough" to justify the purchase price.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #35 of 62
Looks nice, but judging by Xonar HDAVs price that thing will probably cost 350/400$... |:-|

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice, but judging by Xonar HDAVs price that thing will probably cost 350/400$... :|

Why would you think it's going to be $350+? The Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe is 'only' a little over $200 - XONAR HDAV13 DELUXE

$200 ~ $220 would be my guess

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice, but judging by Xonar HDAVs price that thing will probably cost 350/400$... |:-|

did you know, that you just crushed my dream
frown.gif

haha
regular_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #38 of 62
By the looks of it, This card is being built especially for heaphone/stereo users. Would be cool to have some features aimed right at can heads.
What would you guys like to have?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #39 of 62
If it does the same things as my Xonar DX (dolby + eax simulation option) then I would be very interested in upgrading to these, if only because they have separate line-out and headphone-out jacks. I feel like this is never mentioned, but I use both. I live in an apartment, so late at night I use headphones for music and all day for gaming. During the day, I use speakers for music.

Right now I use a crappy plantronics audio switch between the two but it is a little tedious, especially since Asus's software has zero ability to automate profile switches in its settings. I tried using the front panel headphone jack and switching in software, but the jack was picking up noise on the way to the sound card so that was a no go.

If I understand this card correctly, not only can I get better sound (I never purchased an external amplifier) for my 50 ohm HD-595's, but I can also easily plug them both in and...hopefully...Asus can improve their control panel a bit to make switching between the two outputs relatively painless.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 62
This card also has a built in headphone amplifier so if you have the higher impedance cans you don't need a external amplifier.

I always thought ASUS control panels were qute easy to configure, just switch output options by drop down list. Did you have something else in mind?
The profile switching is a good idea though, I considered this one so you can associate setting with certain applications.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This card also has a built in headphone amplifier so if you have the higher impedance cans you don't need a external amplifier.

I always thought ASUS control panels were qute easy to configure, just switch output options by drop down list. Did you have something else in mind?
The profile switching is a good idea though, I considered this one so you can associate setting with certain applications.

For me to switch between headphones and my speakers, I have to make the following changes:

Music/Games - Headphones:
- Audio Channel set to 8 Speakers
- Analog Out set to Headphones
- Dolby Headphone enabled
- Turn master volume to 40%
- Flip audio switch to Headphones

Music - Speakers:
- Audio Channel set to 2 Speakers
- Analog Out set to 2 Speakers
- Turn master volume to 100%
- Flip audio switch to Speakers

Games - Speakers:
- Audio Channel set to 8 Speakers
- Analog Out set to 2 Speakers
- Dolby Prologic enabled
- Turn master volume to 100%
- Flip audio switch to Speakers

Now, if Asus would simply implement profiles it would clear up 2 steps in that process at very minimal programming effort. Similar to how the "DSP Modes" work except (1) they would be customizable obviously; and (2) they can also make changes to Output Channel and Analog Out selection (right now the DSP Modes only affect Dolby implementations).

If this new sound card allows me to plug my headphone into a separate jack on the card itself (and thus no noise issue with a front panel connector), being specifically amplified for headphones just sweetens the deal. I would pay the money to have the convenience of getting rid of the crappiest item in my audio chain, the $10 plantronics audio switch and just control it by software. But what I'd like Asus to do is simply allow me to hit a global hotkey and make all those changes between the 3 profiles I just listed.

That would make my double life of headphone use and speaker use much more satisfying.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For music, don't use any effect ...
2 channel all effect off is the way to go.
Use ASIO or kernel streaming.

I disagree when it comes to listening to music through headphones. I enjoy having Dolby Headphone on as it reduces fatigue. As for ASIO, or KS, well yes, I use Foobar, but that really is unrelated.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #44 of 62
Yes,like everything else in audio. Effects or no effects are a preference. Some prefer EQ, some no, Some prefer Dobly Headphone some not etc. Everybody has a different setup preference.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #45 of 62
What's the benefit of using ASIO or KS when listening to the music? Aren't they only useful for musicans?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back