Asus Xonar Essence, as a transport
May 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 23
I resell Audio-gd in New Zealand so I wont comment on the Digital Interface.

I have found the Asus Essence ST sound card to be significantly superior to the STX even when just used as a coaxial digital source. The ST was pretty much on a par with the Musiland Monitor 02us as a coaxial digital source for my dacs.

The difference between coaxial digital output sources is much bigger than I can understand.

The imaging is the biggest improvement on the ST over the STX.

Regards

Macrog

May 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
Well, basically because the Xonar Essence can eventually serve other purposes, like a nice headphone source, or a third rig (I have a 2nd one).
But if the Hiface is clearly superior, at 150$, it is a no-brainer.

---------

No WAY!

I had a Hiface and sold that crap. Essence as digital transport is near from the top I had occasion to hear (audiophilleo usb to spdif is a bit better depending of the taste).
It's my second best transport.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #20 of 23
Compared to the Musiland 02US and HiFace the STX digital coaxial output is poor. The ST is on a par with both. I guess the reclocking chip of the ST must work.

Regards

Macrog

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 23
I'm using the coax out on the Essence ST with the Anedio D1 DAC and I can't really hear a difference between that and using the usb 3 port on my motherboard when listening to 16/44.1 material. I tested it today and I was able to quickly switch between usb and coax, it sounded the same to me with the music I played.

I need to use coax though to get 24/192 and I think I'll keep the ST as transport just because it's better in theory :) I haven't tried the motherboard coax out to compare with. 

One of the selling points of the D1 DAC is that it copes well with jitter. Maybe the transport has a bigger influence with other DACs, I don't know.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 23
I've been using the coax out on the Essence ST for about six months now, it's about the same as the ESI Juli@ (and both are better than my onboard coax out).

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #23 of 23
I'm using the ST as a transport since about 2 month now.

what i noticed is, that when i shuffle trough my library with Foobar ( WASAPI, buffer: 1000ms, full file buffer set to 150MB) sometimes when onr song ends i get digital noise until the next track starts.

It's a very annoying sound and it drowns out the last second of the song.

can anybody help here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back