** ASUS Xonar Essence and Matrix M-Stage Amplifier Query **
Sep 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 67

I was looking at a few similar items in my research sessions. Information is so hit-or-miss. Couldn't find something with standard 6.3mm inputs and outputs in the passive department. Those look great, but R/L stuff implies speakers in my world, and that bothers me for some reason. Why can't life be simple, Win Win for everyone. LOL!

I'm gonna keep that one bookmarked though. Very nice! Find me one with 6.3mm I/Os super kyamei!

By the way, how did you turn this into five outputs instead of five inputs?

I've got my headphones hooked up to amps so the RCA jacks never bothered me....could just get a little adapter cable.

The switch has 5 "inputs" and 1 "output", but if you hook your input to the output jack, you now have 5 outputs.  In other words, just hook it up backwards.  I've got 2 PCs and a TV on the input switch, and 4 amps hooked up to the output switch.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 67
Funny how I stumbled upon this thread asking for a solution for four headphones, because I recently bought a Pyle PHA40 amp that lets you plug in four headphones at once. There are four 1/4" headphone outputs on the back and four volume knobs on top. Plus it's the most affordable desktop amp I've ever seen! However, the amp doesn't have a lot of output power (which only matters for harder-to-drive headphones), you have to unplug it to turn it off, and you would probably want to mess with the volume knobs each time you switched headphones to avoid hearing the other headphones externally. Really, though, I don't see what the big deal is about simply plugging and unplugging headphones individually like most people do with higher quality amps. You compare headphones by listening to them over extended periods with lots of music. This does not require rapid switching.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 67

I've got my headphones hooked up to amps so the RCA jacks never bothered me....could just get a little adapter cable.

The switch has 5 "inputs" and 1 "output", but if you hook your input to the output jack, you now have 5 outputs.  In other words, just hook it up backwards.  I've got 2 PCs and a TV on the input switch, and 4 amps hooked up to the output switch.

That's so cool. Couldn't see that in any of the reviews. People love those switchers though. Great reviews all around. May have to look for a bag of 6.3mm to RCA adapters which are attractive to give this a shot. You think there is any sound quality loss when going from 6.3mm to RCA? Shouldn't in theory!

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 67
Looking further at that gizmo I posted, I'm not thrilled about all the phones being active at once. I wonder what kind of impedance his amp will see! I would probably find a device with a selector so only one phone was active at a time...

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 67
  http://www.amazon.com/ART-SPLITMix4-4-Channel-Passive-Splitter/dp/B002VX0DCE

Here's a passive one...

I was looking at those an hour or two ago. Was excited, when I noticed that they were splitting the signal into four outputs. That will more than probably affect audio quality, because all four headphones would be shooting all the time. No idea if turning volume down would affect that though. Couldn't see any switch to bounce between the outputs or make out if turning it to zero does that.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #25 of 67
  Funny how I stumbled upon this thread asking for a solution for four headphones, because I recently bought a Pyle PHA40 amp that lets you plug in four headphones at once. There are four 1/4" headphone outputs on the back and four volume knobs on top. Plus it's the most affordable desktop amp I've ever seen! However, the amp doesn't have a lot of output power (which only matters for harder-to-drive headphones), you have to unplug it to turn it off, and you would probably want to mess with the volume knobs each time you switched headphones to avoid hearing the other headphones externally. Really, though, I don't see what the big deal is about simply plugging and unplugging headphones individually like most people do with higher quality amps. You compare headphones by listening to them over extended periods with lots of music. This does not require rapid switching.

Weirdly enough, those were the first 4-channel amp I checked out. Everything you mentioned about those, was kinda the reason I started this thread, so someone was able to clarify and improve my knowledge on doing this, like they do in some audio stores. Couldn't really find much information on the matter, except all the options I just become too wary about. 

I get what your saying about me making a big deal outta nothing. I'm just one of those fools, that gets an idea, lets if fester, tries solutions, stumbles, and runs to a place with knowledge for the first thing I thought about at the beginning. I don't mind leaving the headphones in the drawer and swapping them out when I need to, but I change headphones twenty times a day, which does kinda affect the ambiance a bit. LOL!

Thing is, the clutter is my wifes' death sentence. I kinda was fine with the Fiio, but the sound quality difference, kinda got to me. Them I shoved all four headphones on the desk, and made a mess to speed up the process, and almost got murdered. So, she made a special place for me to hang these cans, but its now harder to do the swaps.

Its such a pain, but maybe this thread can help someone searching for the same answer.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #26 of 67
  Weirdly enough, those were the first 4-channel amp I checked out. Everything you mentioned about those, was kinda the reason I started this thread, so someone was able to clarify and improve my knowledge on doing this, like they do in some audio stores. Couldn't really find much information on the matter, except all the options I just become too wary about. 

I get what your saying about me making a big deal outta nothing. I'm just one of those fools, that gets an idea, lets if fester, tries solutions, stumbles, and runs to a place with knowledge for the first thing I thought about at the beginning. I don't mind leaving the headphones in the drawer and swapping them out when I need to, but I change headphones twenty times a day, which does kinda affect the ambiance a bit. LOL!

Thing is, the clutter is my wifes' death sentence. I kinda was fine with the Fiio, but the sound quality difference, kinda got to me. Them I shoved all four headphones on the desk, and made a mess to speed up the process, and almost got murdered. So, she made a special place for me to hang these cans, but its now harder to do the swaps.

Its such a pain, but maybe this thread can help someone searching for the same answer.

Out of curiosity, which headphones do you have, and what do you use each of them for? (Including sound signature goals for music.)

(Oh, and it would be a good idea to list your gear on your profile and optionally your signature, to make things easier.)

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #27 of 67
Quote:
  LOL cross posted again...

Your too Enthusiastic, dam, that was lame.

I really think your answer is in post #10. I mean, how cluttered can one extension cable on your desk get?

In truth, the Fiio was my extension cable. I explained the backstory in post #25. My wife will have my neck if I clutter the place again. Either my cans stay in a drawer 3 feet away, or on the rack hanger she made for me to hold my cans which is about the same distance away. Either way I use an extension, I will probably lose my life! If I can get a passive splitter over there, I have a reason for her to allow me to move the rack closer. Everyone is happy!

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #28 of 67
Get the wife's permission to buy a single pair of uber expensive high end headphones all in the name of reducing clutter! BOOM! DONE! SOLVED! 
gs1000.gif

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 67

Out of curiosity, which headphones do you have, and what do you use each of them for? (Including sound signature goals for music.)

(Oh, and it would be a good idea to list your gear on your profile and optionally your signature, to make things easier.)

Sorry bout that, will sort that out soon. New to being a head-fier, so lame at the game so far! Don't judge my catch phrases, I just watched The Expendables a few minutes ago.

Anyhow, I'm pretty obsessive compulsive when it comes to audio.

I have four cans. Just grabbed them randomly along the road. Have a Takstar Pro 80 for pleasure listening and some bass-heavy gaming. Have a ATH-40x for monitoring music for a band I'm in, which is terrible by the way, and some genres of music I prefer them with. Have a Superlux HD668B for treble heavy music. Have a Have a Philips Fidelio X1 for mostly gaming and everything else I do, and all movie watching.

I work from home, so headphones are a big part of my life at present.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #30 of 67
  Get the wife's permission to buy a single pair of uber expensive high end headphones all in the name of reducing clutter! BOOM! DONE! SOLVED! 
gs1000.gif

I'll give her your phone number, LOL! To tell the truth, I have had a lot of high end stuff pass by this place in the past. Sennies HD800's, Beyer Tesla and HifiMan stuff. Not at all impressed with the high end sound. For me all the tech in those don't make them a jack of all trades.

They'll be good for something and crap at other things, just like the four headphones I won. They they sexy expensive stuff that grows the ego a tad bit much, so you believe that the ninja planar or magnetic tech is out of this world unbelievable. Kinda like Beats By Dre, but in a more bankruptcy way, I am more sexy in my studio than u kinda way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back