** ASUS Xonar Essence and Matrix M-Stage Amplifier Query **
Sep 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

xb4iris

100+ Head-Fier
PLEASE HELP. I have seen many of these threads with zero responses, hence my thread.

Thanks for the all the advice in the past, and for all the great threads which have helped me out in the past. Need some more advise from you wonderful folks, as I have been unable to clarify anything with regards to my query on head-fi, at least in any detail.

My Current dilemma is as follows. I currently have four pairs of headphones, which I individually plug into my ASUS Xonar STX Sound Card. All are perform exceptionally on the Card, however, I chop and change between these headphones all the time.

As switching headphones is always a pain, I am looking for an inexpensive means of easily switching between these headphones without sacrificing any audio quality.

I have seen multiple Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifiers / Headphone Switchers on the Internet, however I currently have no experience with such things. Essentially, all I want for the Headphone output from my Sound Card to input into a device of some sort, and then output passively into one of my headphones. I don't know if re-amplification is a good idea or bad idea, but I do not mind either way.

I'm hoping anyone experienced can help push me in the right direction. I'm no audiophile, but I hope to become one. Love different sound signatures, hence the different headphones.

There has to be something simple for this purpose. I mean, how to people compare headphones.

Please help! You guys always have the best advise.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 67
Adding a switch to the chain is gonna degrade the signal no matter what switch you get. You're better off getting a desktop dac/amp or better yet, separates dac and amp. It will be easier to plug in different headphones by not reaching behind your computer. You'll avoid degrading the signal with a switcher and you'll get two upgrades. Sending the music as data through usb to the dac will be way better than going through your computers sound card and adding an amp will further upgrade the sound by driving your headphones properly.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 67
  Adding a switch to the chain is gonna degrade the signal no matter what switch you get. You're better off getting a desktop dac/amp or better yet, separates dac and amp. It will be easier to plug in different headphones by not reaching behind your computer. You'll avoid degrading the signal with a switcher and you'll get two upgrades. Sending the music as data through usb to the dac will be way better than going through your computers sound card and adding an amp will further upgrade the sound by driving your headphones properly.

Thanks for the information. I actually have a Fiio Amp/Dac which does pretty well with the headphones, however for some reason, the cans sound better on the Soundcard, contrary to popular belief. Using the Fiio cable clutter on my desktop as well, to decided to use it primarily for mobile use.

So sound quality is really degraded that badly. Aren't switchers passively supposed to reroute input signals to one of the outputs plugged in with. Can't find any of these for headphones, so what am I even talking about, lol. What about the 4-channel headphone amps like the one linked below:

http://www.amazon.com/CAD-Audio-HA4-4-Channel-Headphone/dp/B005O656B8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443322905&sr=1-8&keywords=4-channel+headphone

How would double amplification affect sound quality when multiple headphones are involved and volume is turned to 0 on three of them? As my Sound Card does well with amplification, using the headphone output would cause the signal to be amplified a second time, in theory. What do you think?

Any experience with such crazy propaganda :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 67
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-INP-5-/50-6180?t=2&utm_expid=8634549-27.0czCl7fSQamjILoiAH9mgA.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcmelectronics.com%2Fbrowse%2FSource-Selectors%2F0000000292

I'm sure someone somewhere will notice a loss of quality with these, but I use TWO of them in my setup (one for input, the other for outputs) and I honestly cant tell the difference.  The convenience is great.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 67
  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-INP-5-/50-6180?t=2&utm_expid=8634549-27.0czCl7fSQamjILoiAH9mgA.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcmelectronics.com%2Fbrowse%2FSource-Selectors%2F0000000292

I'm sure someone somewhere will notice a loss of quality with these, but I use TWO of them in my setup (one for input, the other for outputs) and I honestly cant tell the difference.  The convenience is great.

I was looking at a few similar items in my research sessions. Information is so hit-or-miss. Couldn't find something with standard 6.3mm inputs and outputs in the passive department. Those look great, but R/L stuff implies speakers in my world, and that bothers me for some reason. Why can't life be simple, Win Win for everyone. LOL!

I'm gonna keep that one bookmarked though. Very nice! Find me one with 6.3mm I/Os super kyamei!

By the way, how did you turn this into five outputs instead of five inputs?

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 67
I read up on your sound card (which I should have done from the get go) and it seems like its a quite capable dac/amp for headphones. If you do put some kind of switch, you definitely want to get or make a passive one.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 67
  DIY?

https://redsecta.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/making-a-passive-headphone-or-source-switcher/

DIY! LOL! Where do you guys come up with this stuff.

TheEnthusiast, the world can do without me DIYing stuff. I have caused hurricanes and mudslides when doing anything of that nature. Remember the days when you felt karma wasn't being nice to you, that was actually me trying to build a lego set. I do apologize. 

But to be honest, that is exactly what am looking for, just without the controversy!

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 67
  I read up on your sound card (which I should have done from the get go) and it seems like its a quite capable dac/amp for headphones. If you do put some kind of switch, you definitely want to get or make a passive one.

That's so right. Don't want to break the sound I have, just choose which headphone to use it with.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 67
  What about a simple extension cable to move the connection to where it's easy to reach?

That's an idea, but with no space for cable clutter, it would be rather hard in my setup at the moment. That's actually why I bought an Fiio, but the clutter got to me, when I stopped being able to use my keyboard.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 67
  There's lots of talented folks right here at head-fi. Maybe one of 'em could step up and build you one.

Think they'll add some rims to it. Gold plated rims would be ideal. Yeah, I have come across such talented folks browsing these forums, but when you mention that your on the other side of the world, they suddenly become untalented. But hey, I will definitely take a look. You never know. Gotta get some rims though, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back