Asus Xonar DX enough Ohm(Ω)?
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Broeci

New Head-Fier
Hey, 

I am all new to hi-fi headsets and only know the basics, so I need some help if that's possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

I need a new headset and I am thinking of buying one of these 3: the Sennheiser 350SE, Beyerdynamic dt770 pro or the audio technika ATH-A700X. I am leaning towards the dt 770 pro, but I'm still unsure. The main problem is my Xonar DX which doesn't have built-in amp. The dt 770 requires 80 ohm or 250 ohm and the 350 se requires 150 ohm. So my question is: Can these headsets provide great quality with the no amp Xonar or do I need to buy a separate amp with it for max quality? Also, will the separate amp completely ignore the Xonar?
I mainly use my headset for gaming and music.
Help is much appreciated and sorry for my somewhat bad english. 
Cheers, 
beerchug.gif

P.S: I am open for suggestions of other headsets in the same price range (€150/ $200) 
color]

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

Sound cards, and all output devices in general, do not output in ohms. Ohms is a measurement of resistance. It's a gate keeper, so to speak, that tells something how much voltage will be needed to overcome this resistance, and is used to present a work load to an amplifier and make it behave differently.

The DT770 PRO 80ohm will run fine from your current soundcard. No need to buy something else. And I would choose it over those other headphones too, regardless of that.

Very best,

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 13
  Thanks for the reply and for the clarification about ohms. 
I will go with the DT 770 pro's, then. 
biggrin.gif

Best regards,

I also use to use the Xonar DX to drive my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
Personally I would sell off the Xonar DX and replace it with a Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box), $100. Same DAC chip (CS4398) as the DX but has a much lower output impedance, 22-Ohms, compared to the DX's 100-Ohm output impedance.
Sometimes the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) goes on sale for $65.
The SB1502 version might also be a good choice.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 13
  Thanks for the reply
I will look into that one. 

I guess I should have also said, you also have the option of getting something like the O2 (Objective 2) external headphone amplifier and plugging it straight into the Xonar DX.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/
I would consider this head amps better then the Z's head amp. This head amps have an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm and can drive headphones from 16-Ohms up to 600-Ohm. So you would have a very wide choice of headphones that you could get to choose from. Plus you can use the external head amp with more then just the Win PC.
But getting the external head amp, with headphones, does go way over your planned budget.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the reply.
I was looking at some amps, but does the amp completely ignore the outgoing sound from the Xonar dx or do they work together?
And are there also cheaper options like a Fiio. Or aren't they as good?

Cheers,

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 13
  I was looking at some amps, but does the amp completely ignore the outgoing sound from the Xonar DX or do they work together?
And are there also cheaper options like a Fiio. Or aren't they as good?

They work together, the DX does the surround sound processing and the Digital to Analog Conversion (DAC) and the external amp. provides the amplification.
Technically the DX can directly drive headphones, just a dedicated headphone amplifier does a better job.
The FiiO amplifiers can work with the DX, the FiiO E11's output impedance is usually less then 1-Ohm, E11 is fine for headphones from 16-Ohm to 300-Ohm.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok, thanks for the information. 
I think will go with DT 770 pros 80 ohm and upgrade it with an amp in the near future.
Or is it then smarter going with the 250-ohm version, since I will be upgrading it with an amp?
beyersmile.png

Best regards, 

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 13
  Ok, thanks for the information. 
I think will go with DT 770 pros 80 ohm and upgrade it with an amp in the near future.
Or is it then smarter going with the 250-ohm version, since I will be upgrading it with an amp?
beyersmile.png

The Xonar DX can not really drive 250-Ohm headphones, but can drive 80-Ohm headphones.
So if you got the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, you would have to buy an amplifier at the same time.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Since you own(ed) both, which one would you recommend, I went to the hi-fi shop and they only had the 80 ohm version. The only difference I know of is that the 250 ohm version has a cleaner mid due to the less overpowering bass. 

Cheers, 

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 13
  Since you own(ed) both, which one would you recommend, I went to the hi-fi shop and they only had the 80 ohm version. The only difference I know of is that the 250-Ohm version has a cleaner mid due to the less overpowering bass. 

Cheers, 

Not really a big difference between the two, but I do prefer the 250-Ohm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back