ASUS Xonar DS or Creative Xtreme Audio
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

avlover0424

New Head-Fier
My friend wants to buy a entry level sound card. He now focuses on two models: ASUS Xonar DS or Creative Xtreme Audio.

His budget is about $50, not high for most people in this forum but enough for a beginner in audio. These 2 cards are both about $50. Compared with their sample rate, ASUS Xonar DS is much better than Creaive. Is there anything my friend should note for the two cards? Thanks a lot.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Xonar DS is way better than Xtreme Audio, do note that Xtreme Audio don't use CA20K X-Fi DSP but Audigy SE DSP.

Xonar DS also have socketable PDIP opamp so you could change them to your liking as well

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Both card offer software based chipsets. The DS will atleast allow you to swap out the front opamp. The DS although is a entry level card is a couple generations beyond the X-Audio which came out awhile back.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 11
From what I've heard, the X-Fi Extreme Audio doesn't even do EAX as well as the old Audigy cards. I'd get the Xonar DS simply because it will likely sound better and gives you the option of upgrading the opamp, even though it doesn't emulate EAX well at all. But on the other hand, it does do OpenAL, which is becoming increasingly common in games these days.

But there is a HUGE difference once you get above the entry level cards. I recently bought a refurbished X-Fi XtremeGamer for $54, changed my mind in minutes after receiving it and ordered an Auzen X-Fi Forte. There's just no comparison.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Well the X-audio is a software card so it will process EAX through software. The routines are still the same though. IIRC, it has EAX 1,2,3,4 and OpenAL.

The Xonar DS, has support for EAX 1,2 and higher levels are done by GX 2.5 which is an emulation driver. It also has generic OpenAL support IIRC.

I agree with you, I suggst the OP goes for something just a bit more expensive.
You can find X-FI X-Music's for about $40 or X-Gamer for around $50 as you said.

Between these two cards the DS will probably give you the best sound but it is advisable to go with a higher level cards that is a refurb so you get more for your money.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Say no to Xtreme Audio... you might as well go backwards and get a Soundblaster Live!

If you really have to get a X-Fi, get a Xtremegamer (but even that I don't really recommended, there are many better sound cards out there).

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 11
He never mentions anything about games, so what with EAX thing?

For music between those two, Xonar DS wins for two reason, better Wolfson DAC and swappable opamp for the front channel.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 11
I would say the DS as the Xonar ds has a replaceable op-amp dip-8 socket and the xtreme audio doesn't. That way you can swap out the op-amps for many diffent ones.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Say no to Xtreme Audio, too! Not a fan of Creative, I really got annoyed by this series because of its terrible UI and "blasting" reinstallation. Creative is an old brand and really needs restructure or I wouldn't choose it again in he future.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 11
Had an x-fi extreme audio.  It had popping audio at times. Then I ditched it for the Xonar ds.
Xonar sounds slightly better plus i get stereo mix now on my Dell.

For music i'd take the Xonar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back