Asus Xonar DG
Dec 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 27
I've noticed a peculiar problem with the Xonar DG: the Windows Explorer navigation click sound tends to get distorted. On some clicks it sounds right, but mostly its clipped, like a high pitch thump.

I'm more inclined to think of this as a driver rather than a hardware bug, as I've yet to notice any problems outside Windows Explorer. This is on Windows 7 64bit, mind you.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 27
FYI, if anyone is interested there are rebates for the Xonar DG ($10 MIR), Xonar DS ($10 MIR) and Xonar DX ($20 MIR) at Newegg ending today (2010/12/31). So they end up:

DG: $19.99 AR + Shipping  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020    

DS: $39.99 AR Free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132013

DX: $59.99 AR Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

I'm trying to decide between the DG and the DX. I'm just using on-board right now to power my BeyerDynamic DT831s. I know the DG has a headphone amp but frankly volume has never been a problem for me. I'm really leaning towards the DX but I guess I'm not entirely sure/clear on what benefits a headphone amp would provide.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #19 of 27
Bump, but does anybody have any experiences with this card and Dolby Headphone? What version of DH does it use? I personally own the card, but have not used it with decent 2.0 cans. Regards. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
Bump, but does anybody have any experiences with this card and Dolby Headphone? What version of DH does it use? I personally own the card, but have not used it with decent 2.0 cans. Regards. 

I use it to play left 4 dead2, the dolby headphone works well, give pretty decent 3d sound

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 27
Ah OK, do you use the official Asus driver? What phones do you have?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #22 of 27
yes- i use the asus drivers. look at my sig, i use m,any different cans :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #23 of 27
hah. I guess you have a lot of cans :) Nice. Is it difficult to enable DH? Have you heard the FA-003s? How do you think DH would work with those cans? Im getting the HM5s over xmas, and supposedly they have the same sound signature. thx. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 27
enabling dh is ez- just click a box in the control panel. i had the fa-003 before i upgraded to the fa-002w. they work great with this soundcard

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #26 of 27
I have the Essence STX with OpAmp Mod for 1.5 Years, and therefor compared to the Xonar DG i can say even with the cheepo Koss Porta Pro the DG sounds Crap for my Ears,
tested with the same FLAC Files and Headphones (HD 650 also). Well, it was only for sometimes listening to the Music when i am working with PS, so i can enjoy my tunes,
therefor i won't buy a 2nd Essence STX, but the Sound Quality is bad compared to the STX, the DG is Asus cheapest Xonar Card. But what really goes on my nerves, no Add On
Soundcard made ever this: When i am using Photoshop Plugins that require a bit Processing Time, the Sound really stutters, stops for some seconds or more...so it's basically
really Crap for me...even my old 2006 bought Creative X-Fi Extreme Music never did this....the STX is built into my Linux Box, which is my main PC for Ages, still yet running
Ubuntu 11.04....

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
I have the Essence STX with OpAmp Mod for 1.5 Years, and therefor compared to the Xonar DG i can say even with the cheepo Koss Porta Pro the DG sounds Crap for my Ears,
tested with the same FLAC Files and Headphones (HD 650 also). Well, it was only for sometimes listening to the Music when i am working with PS, so i can enjoy my tunes,
therefor i won't buy a 2nd Essence STX, but the Sound Quality is bad compared to the STX, the DG is Asus cheapest Xonar Card. But what really goes on my nerves, no Add On
Soundcard made ever this: When i am using Photoshop Plugins that require a bit Processing Time, the Sound really stutters, stops for some seconds or more...so it's basically
really Crap for me...even my old 2006 bought Creative X-Fi Extreme Music never did this....the STX is built into my Linux Box, which is my main PC for Ages, still yet running
Ubuntu 11.04....

Use ASIO in your musicplayer for the Xonar and choose a large buffer(many millisconds) to fight the stuttering when you use Photoshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back