Asus Xonar DG: The best cheap thrill in computer hi-fi
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wali

1000+ Head-Fier
There was a time when the cheapest headphone amp was, well, not very cheap. Except DIY nasty amps there were no 'budget' headphone amps around. Then ASUS changed everything with Xonar STX/ST but now it seems they have even pushed the envelop further with Xonar DG -well, almost.

For $30 you get a 'very good' soundcard and a headphone amp! I call that progress. But it gets even better because thanks to the community efforts you no longer need to wait for ASUS to release a driver every five years... With Unified Xonar drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/) not only you get quick updates but also a dramatic change in sound quality over the Asus drivers, and the change is for the good.

I bought the Xonar DG on a whim and initially I was impressed with the sound for the price but it was nothing special. It simply lacked the detail and emotionality one expects from hi-fi audio. The impressive factor was how its little amp powered my K701 very well... But by sheer accident I came across the above mentioned Xonar unified drivers and installed them - WOW!

I have been waiting for three days for the placebo to wear off but it refuses to do, so I had to post this semi-review... All I can say is that Xonar DG sounds as good as Xonar STX! In fact it has more emotionality with its detail, which makes it even more enjoyable.

Now the trick was clearly the unified Xonar drivers but what I don't know is how the STX might sound with unified drivers because I no longer have my STX.

Anyway, the headphone used AKG K701. The headphone amps setting at >64, foobar and flac files.

I wanted to share this because not only I would like others with STX and ST for example to give Xonar unified drivers a shot but also if they can, do a head-to-head comparison of Xonar DG with with Unified Xonar drivers and other soundcards.

In my case Asus Xonar DG is the best cheap thrill I have ever got in computer hi-fi... And when I say its ever better than Xonar STX with unified drivers, well, don't take my word for it, try it!

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 3
I used to have a DG. I think it's the cheapest sound card with a built in headphone amp in the market. Even though it's freakishly cheap, the sound IS decent enough and for me, it's way better than using onboard realtek chips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back