Asus Xonar D2X works for like 5min, then sound is gone?
Feb 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RamGuy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got myself a Asus Xonar D2X as a temporally card while my Auzentech Prelude is going through the entire RMA process because of a not working mic-input.

First of all I have to admit setting up the Asus Xonar D2X was a dream, it was even easier than the Prelude! On sad thing with the D2X though is the lack of HD Audio connector for making use of the headphone / mic jack in the front of my case, now I have to go under my table and all the way to the back of my case to switch between headphones and speakers.

But hey, this card sounds really amazing. No doubt that the Prelude also is a really good card, but I feel that the Xonar D2X is slightly better when I fired up some music on my Creative Gigaworks S750 speakers.

But there are some confusions with this card.. I have no clue on how to activate the Dolby Pro Logic IIx, I can activate the built-in "music" or "movie" mode in the driver, which activates Dolby Pro Logic IIx, but I don't see any option for activating it myself?

I'm also facing on small and one major issue as well..
The small one is the fact that even when the DS3D GX 2.5 emulation of EAX1 - EAX5.0 is activated, I'm not able to activate EAX in any games? Tried to fire up Battle for Middle Earth II with EAX3, but when trying to select EAX3 I just get the message claiming I've got no suited hardware? How can the Xonar be emulating the EAX effects if I'm not even able to activate them in the games?

The major problem is the fact that after my computer has been on for like 4-6min, I hear this "click" sound from the audio card and right after there is no sound whatsoever? iTunes wont even start to play songs any more, there is no sound in either Windows or in games? A restart fix this issue, but after 4-6min it's gone once again?

I'm running Windows Vista 64bit with the latest Xonar D2X drivers install, with 7.1 PCM 192KHz - 8 Channel audio.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I had some issues with mine, well, quite big issues. When I first installed it, the power connector felt a little loose and I wasn't satisfied that it would be firmly connected. Anyway, my music worked fine and souned great - No issues there. The strange thing was when I booted up my PC, it would take forever. Anyway, I stumble across a forum post saying that you can push the white casing on the power connector on the card back some, exposing more of the pins. I did this and connected nice and firmly, and then the issues of bootup went.

I know this isn't your problem but it seems issues with the power connector can cause all sorts of problems, and I feel you should try this yourself, even if it is not particularly loose, it seemed that many people had issues that pointed to the power. Just slide the white housing back on the power connector firmly but gently. You will notice it slide back a reasonable amount, resulting in more of the pins in contact with the power cable.

Hope this helps, I have a feeling it just might.

Cheers

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Sorry for the double post but I heard that the click sound are the 'relays' in the card turning on/off - I don't know anything about that, but I get the click sound once when I boot up, apparently its normal at bootup.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DW87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some issues with mine, well, quite big issues. When I first installed it, the power connector felt a little loose and I wasn't satisfied that it would be firmly connected. Anyway, my music worked fine and souned great - No issues there. The strange thing was when I booted up my PC, it would take forever. Anyway, I stumble across a forum post saying that you can push the white casing on the power connector on the card back some, exposing more of the pins. I did this and connected nice and firmly, and then the issues of bootup went.

I know this isn't your problem but it seems issues with the power connector can cause all sorts of problems, and I feel you should try this yourself, even if it is not particularly loose, it seemed that many people had issues that pointed to the power. Just slide the white housing back on the power connector firmly but gently. You will notice it slide back a reasonable amount, resulting in more of the pins in contact with the power cable.

Hope this helps, I have a feeling it just might.

Cheers

Thanks so much, I had the same issue and pushing the white casing back worked great--power connector fits snugly now!
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 7
not to sound stupid but how about putting electrical tape on the bottom of the floppy connector where the floppy connector and part of that white casing meet ? it will also make for a more snug connection.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DW87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the double post but I heard that the click sound are the 'relays' in the card turning on/off - I don't know anything about that, but I get the click sound once when I boot up, apparently its normal at bootup.

Yes, many of the Xonars use relays to route certain signals for recording etc.
When you boot up the relays setup as you have selected in the drivers.
If you want an example of the relay click, go into the recording panel and enable the Mic or line you should hear a click as the relay changes the recording source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back