Asus Xonar - Best Settings (EQ etc.)
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Trancer

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have the Asus Xonar sound card on my PC. Currently using Senn HD497 headphones, but should have a set of AD700's tomorrow.

I've never been a fan of all these surround settings, and messing much with the EQ. However, I've been playing about with the various settings in the Xonar software. I seem to find Dolby Headphone and 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter ticked to be the best. Then on the EQ "Jazz" appears to give the best sound for pretty much most genres of music.

I was wondering, does anyone else agree/disagree here? and are there any particular recommended EQ settings?

(I guess you should just set it to whatever sounds best to you? but just after some opinions)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Well I personally just click the "hi-fi" and enjoy my music with no other EQ settings/effects on.

But When I play games.. I enable the "DS3D GX" together with 7.1 virtual Speaker shifter. This gives me an awsome surround.

Dont forget to change the impedence setting on the Xonar STX to match of that on your Headphones.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Thats interesting, I find it a bit flat in just hifi mode. Well, in comparison to the other settings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d(((--)))b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont forget to change the impedence setting on the Xonar STX to match of that on your Headphones.

I have the Xonar DX, so I dont think it has an impedence setting on it.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 9
For music: 2 channel, Headphones, Dolby Headphone 3 - or - 2 channel, Headphones, Hi-fi. This depends on whether the source material sounds good with Dolby Headphone on or not.

For games and movies: same settings with 6 channel or 8 channel, depending on the game or film.

Edit: GX on, if the game is DirectSound3D based in Vista. Same for EAX games in XP. GX breaks the audio and causes crashing for some games so unless you know whether it should be on or off, it's best to try both.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 9
I also use just HiFi to listen to music with eq flat combined with my Senn HD650.
When gaming I use HiFi as well combined with my Senn PC350 dont like the hollow mop bucket over my head sound effects I get IMHO.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 9
If I remember correctly doesnt turning on hi-fi just activate the "7.1 virtual Speaker shifter"? all those buttons like game, hi-fi etc... seem to sound the same to me?

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 9
No - Hi-Fi deactivates all dsp effects.

The other modes are dependent on whether you're listening on headphones and / or the number of speakers but they all enable things like Dolby Headphone or virtual speakers.

GX mode doesn't apply any DSP effects but it affects game compatability.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Since I have an external headphone amp with my Essence STX:

A 'custom' mode:

Set to "2 speakers" (better sound quality also as it goes through the LM4562 buffer)

Sampling Rate: 24-bit, PCM 44.1 Khz for most stuff, 24/96Khz for stuff in say Dolby AC3

7.1 Virtual Speaker on.

The EQ's suck beyond belief thus I never use them.
This setting is great for both music and games (that work with the Essence STX, many games have hissy fits with this card. Valve games work fine though =
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Dolby Headphone + AD700's = pwnage.
Tried out my DT880's with Counter Strike:Source, was average. Changed headphone to AD700's = score dramatically improved.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also use just HiFi to listen to music with eq flat combined with my Senn HD650.
When gaming I use HiFi as well combined with my Senn PC350 dont like the hollow mop bucket over my head sound effects I get IMHO.

Dump those POS PC350's tbh and just use your HD650's for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back