Asus Xonar and Windows 8 RTM
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ombadboy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, been trying to get this working for the past 4 hours and got nowhere. I have two issues

1) Control Panel (either Asus one or CPanel) do not start after reboot. I've tried both official and unified drivers to no avail. The control panel just DOESNT want to start after installation reboot. It runs fine when you just installed, but after a reboot, good luck getting it to run.

2) Front Panel auto switching. What? Is it for real that the Asus Xonar cannot auto switch when you plug something in front panel?? My onboard sound card can do that! (I am prettu sure I connected front panel to sound card, as I can manually switch to it (when control panel works))

If anyone knows how to resolve these issues, or has any suggestions what to try, PLEASE let me know..

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Currently there is no CMI driver for windows 8. You gotta wait for another month or so

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Hey guys, been trying to get this working for the past 4 hours and got nowhere. I have two issues

1) Control Panel (either Asus one or CPanel) do not start after reboot. I've tried both official and unified drivers to no avail. The control panel just DOESNT want to start after installation reboot. It runs fine when you just installed, but after a reboot, good luck getting it to run.

2) Front Panel auto switching. What? Is it for real that the Asus Xonar cannot auto switch when you plug something in front panel?? My onboard sound card can do that! (I am prettu sure I connected front panel to sound card, as I can manually switch to it (when control panel works))

If anyone knows how to resolve these issues, or has any suggestions what to try, PLEASE let me know..

The Asus Xonar DGX, DSX & Phoebus auto switch when headphones are plugged into the front panel headphones jack.
But not the other Asus sound cards.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I've got the DGX but they don't autoswitch..

I'm guess your DGX is not front panel auto switching because there is some software compatibility problem with Windows 8.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Meh.. They need to do something about this >.< but reading the threads, I don't think ASUS will..

And I was such a fan of ASUS..

Still a month to go for the official launch of Win8, drama queen.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Since unified didn't work for me at all on Win8 x64 and my Essence ST, I was using the Win7 drivers with compatibility mode option, so I got sound and nothing else really.

Now I've been able to start the Xonar Audio Center too using the files from the Win8 Xonar DGX drivers.

If anyone is interested, just ask, too lazy to do a manual right away, it's really easy to do...

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 13
How did you do it?  I just bought a DSX and have the same problems as the OP (can't get the control panel to come up after a reboot and auto-switch for the front panel doesn't work).

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 13
I assume that someone who installs Win8 at this point knows a little bit of Windows managing...

Ok, first download the Win8 DGX drivers and the last Win7 ones for your audio card model.
Install in compatibility mode the Win7 ones, to do that open the properties with the right click on the installer.
Reboot the computer (probably not necessary).

Open the task manager and disable the HsMgr and "Windows host process(Run...." entries in the 'Startup' tab.
Reboot (this is mandatory in order to be able to replace some files).

Replace the files installed in your system folders
C:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar **** Audio\Customapp
C:\Windows\System
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
C:\Windows\System32

with the ones in the folders of the drivers package
DGX-1.08(W8-CR)\Win8\Customapp
DGX-1.08(W8-CR)\Win8\SoftwareDriver\DLL
DGX-1.08(W8-CR)\Win8\Program

Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and edit they entry Cmaudio8788 with
C:\Windows\syswow64\RunDll32.exe C:\Windows\Syswow64\cmicnfgp.cpl,CMICtrlWnd

Reboot and the audio center should appear right in your taskbar and also in the control panel (32bits).

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Xonar DSX now has official Win8 (x64) drivers, as Xonar D1, DX & DG and Essence STX.

So, it seems that they are releasing them for both current and old products and pci/pci-e.
I guess drivers for remaining models should be expected :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back