ASUS To Release A PCI Express Sound Card
Mar 17, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 24
NICE! I want one sooo bad!

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 24
Well, ASUS makes solid quality motherboards so they know what they are doing. No EAX support might turn some people off (gaming wise anyway) but this is head-fi; we care about sound quality.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 24
some impressive spec, including the rfi protection. cannot reference on the sound quality since they will tdevelop their own hardware, these "high quality opamp, dac and adc" is remain to be seen.

my emu1212m just turned faulty. and with motherboard today heavily lacking pci slots, this look good, i will hold out on a new card until this come along, hopefully it wont be over $100 otherwize i would have to try for something else, since it'll be their first attempt i cant bet too much on it. i am a big fan of their video card and hardware, both are very high quality. with some good compatibility and decent sound and game support, and maybe a price to rival the xfi, then i think i'd definitely go for it.

i really hope it will be a bit perfect card, with none of that 48khz resampling like sound blasters.

if it look good i might give it a try and do an impression, but i cant wait very long since i need a new soundcard soon.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 24
The article is wrong. There ARE PCI-Express soundcards available now, namely the M-audio Audiophile 192HD, Audiophile 2496, Revolution 7.1 and this Japanese one.

http://www.digitalcowboy.jp/tokyosty...010/index.html

A rather interesting product I must say. Nice pictures, with what looks like Blackgates in one. This soundcard kinda made me regret buying my Julia.

EDIT: The ASUS soundcard doesn't seem to have socketed opamps as well. Not really necessary, but this a feature which is increasing more common among prosumer soundcards.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aegisofrime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The article is wrong. There ARE PCI-Express soundcards available now, namely the M-audio Audiophile 192HD, Audiophile 2496, Revolution 7.1 and this Japanese one.

The M-Audio cards you list are PCI-X, not PCI Express.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 24
Wow that Japanese card looks amazing. Any idea how much it is?

Or any other information at all?

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 24
I found a price list from some singapore site with some specs. Looks like its DAC is only 24bit/96kHz though compared to your Julia. It's price is 10 bucks cheaper.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 24
Waaaaah
mad.gif
, I thought PCI Express meaning the laptop cardbus standard that is plaguing me right now - most useless port EVER. PCMCIA was more useful.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M-Audio cards you list are PCI-X, not PCI Express.

Oh wow. I've never even seen a PCI-X capable mobo, those must be some hot sellers.

I guess I finally know what Asus were thinking when they designed the 2-PCI/3PCI-EX configuration of my motherboard, knowing full well the top PCI slot would be blocked by virtually every video card known to man.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow. I've never even seen a PCI-X capable mobo, those must be some hot sellers.

Used mainly in servers. HUGE slots.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 24
They're PCI-X compatible, meaning they'll work in regular PCI slots too. Not to derail the thread.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 24
what the... I wonder if there is any performance SQ wise by using PCI-Express as opposed to PCI...

If Creative haven't done this, why did Asus =\ sounds like a bit of a marketing gimmick methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back