ASUS SK8N Motherboard?
Mar 5, 2006 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fr4c

Headphoneus Supremus
I was looking into building a new computer rig, as my old P4 is showing signs of lag with newer games. And today I just so happen to receive a ASUS SK8N mobo for free from my father's co-worker. It has socket 940 and I guess is meant for Opteron processors. I know that some users are using the Opteron because its good for OC, etc. so I thought I might do some research and see if its worth it to build a PC around this motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Socket 940 is used for server CPUs and uses very slow and expensive ECC memory. The Opeterons that OCers use is the Socket 939 Opeternon. Socket 940 does not overclock and my suggestion is to sell that motherboard and put the money towards your new comp.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
I see. So building a PC around this motherboard would not be worth the money? Just to throw it out there, the only games I play are probably CS 1.6 and Source, occasionally some Command and C. and other stuff. I'm not looking to run COD, BF, or UT on it.

Also, would I notify a significant upgrade if I was to use this to replace another old P4 1.6Ghz ? Thanks

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Yeah I wouldnt recomend building your system around that motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back