Asus Essence ST/STX (RCA line out) with an external amplifier
Dec 30, 2011 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theabsurdist

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers

Some context:
Headphones -- Sennheiser HD 598
DAC -- Asus Essence ST

So my I'm running my Essence ST and I love the sound that comes out of the RCA line out.  However, I'm not as impressed with the headphone amplifier that is included in the Essence.

I was wondering if anyone out there is using RCA line out with the Essence ST or STX while using an external headphone amplifier
for example, like a little dot I+ or some other alternatives.

I'm curious because I'm looking to purchase the little dot I+ but I'm wondering if the soundstage and clarity will improve as compared to the Essence's headphone amplifier.

Any experiences or thoughts about this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 4
I use Essence ST to an amplifier. I honestly don't think the difference is that huge, but that's mainly because the headphones I use are not that hard to drive. The bass is more controlled, highs are smoother and it's a bit more detailed overall. The difference would be bigger with headphones that are harder to drive. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 4
I use the Xonar Essence STX's line out with my Little Dot Mark III and Sennheiser HD650 cans. I've briefly tried using the STX's amp (I had my Little Dot before I got the card) and wasn't impressed. It definitely didn't sound better in any regard compared to the Little Dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back