Asus Essence ST and Dolby-True/DTS-HD
Feb 14, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 20
Sonci he didnt not say the sound card was better then the receiver, Thats you just thinking that. He said that plugging the sound card into the receiver thru analog, will output higher quailty then it does thru spdif with the same receiver. Also was saying other people did that test over at the other forums. I see that as with my receiver, where analog + the receiver outputting a higher quality sound thru analog then digital.

He never mention any thing about the sound card being better, you just making it seem like he is when hes not.Just so you can throw a fit over nothing.

But yea rob if he still dont understand then hes a loss soul.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by Dac section, how do you judge it?

I did a direct comparison of these two rigs, connected at the same time :

Xonar D2X -->digital out --> Marantz 4003--> Tannoy F1 speakers

vs.

Xonar STX --> analog out --> Marantz 4003--> Tannoy F1 speakers

I preferred the STX setup

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a direct comparison of these two rigs, connected at the same time :

Xonar D2X -->digital out --> Marantz 4003--> Tannoy F1 speakers

vs.

Xonar STX --> analog out --> Marantz 4003--> Tannoy F1 speakers

I preferred the STX setup

I see,
Well, as I said before, it should be some kind of convertion problem,
The spidf signal is PCM stereo data, which doesn`t get out raw, but its prepared for the receiver,
other factors can be a law quality digital cable, or very long,
or because some 5.1 receiver are not optimised for stereo output,

@ROB@
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #19 of 20
^^I assure you I know a thing or two about how to use my receiver for stereo output.( I used pure direct mode).

The digital cable was a nice one from monoprice & was considerably better than the 2 cents (literally) analog cable I used with STX.

You can keep making your assumptions to delude yourself but the facts are a little different.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 20
@mojave
Hello,
Are there any newer (PCI or PCIE) HTPC cards that  can decode the HD audio formats and pass out 5.1 or 7.1 channels of analog out without just extracting the core and staying lossless?

I want to use the analog inputs of my ARCAM AV9 prepro connected to my HTPC and feed it with the HD lossless movie tracks.

I have been reading various of mojave's posts about multichannels dacs for htpc, and I'm considering whether buying a MOTU, focusrite or similar device (as multichannel dac with analog outs, I need just six channels) or going with a PCI(e) soudcard with those analog outs.

I already have the assus essence StX II with the daughterboard (although not working at the moment - working with Asus technical support on that), and frankly don't know if the STX II actually keeps the lossless HD format "intact" or does somekind of "downgrade" or conversion to non HD lossy AC3 or DTS and then passes that lossy signals to the analogs outs.

notes:
 -not interested in HDMI and using a receiver, as I want to try the analog capabilities of the AV9.
- My speakers and amps are more than fair (MF Kw500 integrated, primaluna and Cary valves, feeding nice speakers)
- stereo (music) quality is served with a good modern R2R dac feeding the KW500)
- again, I know receivers and hdmi exist, thanks

mojave, which soundcard would you advice (for HD audio formats) and which external multichannel dac (Which MOTU of focusrite, for example lowish budget for the external..). ?

Is the minidsp UDAC 8 any good? (compared to an internal sound card...)

Use would be for movies with either Kodi or Jriver MC with mkv and similar files stored on the HTPC.
Not looking for DSP, room correction or active filtering/amplificatin at the moment.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back