Asus Essence One stole my bass :(
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Amputate

New Head-Fier
Hello hello!

For the longest time I've been using an Asus Xonar Phoebus which I ended up replacing due to it's technical problems.
The thing I really really liked about that card though was the Dolby Home theater integration which allowed me to tinker with the sound.
Anyway, I ended up replacing that card with a Asus Xonar Essence One.
(I know this one probably still has to open up so I might be getting worked up over nothing but I'd still like some input on this matter.)

I've only been using the Essence One for a few hours now and so far I'm experiencing a musical revelation.
It's really hard to explain but it's like... 
It's like having sex without a condom for the first time after wearing it for years.
...Ye that's pretty much what it's like.
It's like my headphones are shouting THAAAANK YOOOU!! 
dt880smile.png

Everything is super clear, crisp, and very very detailed.
The only thing that worries me is that I lost a considerable amount of bass.

Now the Xonar Phoebus is one of those cards that is "designed for gaming" which means that it's focuses on "surround".
So that alone might be responsible for creating excess amounts of bass to which my ears have grown accustomed to.

Anyway,
Right now I'm left wondering if eventually after a week or so when the amp opens up a bit the bass will slowly return.
Or is this what it's meant to be like?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 2
It sounds to me like the Phoebus had some software equalization enabled that boosted the bass. You can always do that yourself in your media player if you still feel like you're missing it after a few days. But you may also get used to the more neutral sound and appreciate it more afterwards, I know that happens to plenty of people when they move from average consumer gear to a bit more high fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back