Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2,641 of 3,573
  Can't wait for Asus to offically release this so I can void the warranty :) Those blue nichicon capacitors looks like they need a touch of fine gold upgrade!

LOL
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,642 of 3,573
  Do you guys turn off your E1 when not in use? Any reason to not keep it on beside power use? (Would it even use much when not actively converting signals?)

Anyone?

How can we quantify the effect of op amps without using subjective terms such as warmth and soundstage?

Is there ways to objectively determine the differences op amps make to the output of something like the E1, based on the specifications of the op amp itself? I ask because very few have the resources or are willing to make the usual measurements with difference op amps that could describe the performance of a DAC/amp.

I know it has been discussed a lot in this thread, but are there specific op amp setups apart from the 6x MUSES that are considered to give a noticeable improvement over stock?

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,644 of 3,573
  I upgraded my standard E1 with 6 x LME9720HAs, far cheaper than muses and a noticeable improvement in SQ.

Is it best to upgrade the 6 opamps with all the SAME model or it could be better to mix with 2-3 different type?

Most of the time when I read around, the one that seems to come up the most often is the (LM47920HA). I still wonder though why Asus didn't use something like that instead of the 5532 if they are clearly better as they don't cost an arm like the Muse01 which appears to be overpriced and very rare for no reason. If for 1 guy the 47920 don't cost too much, it would have cost nothing with the buying power of Asus and when you pay 600$ for a unit, you expect that it uses opamps better than something average at 5$ (-_-)

Do you guys also upgrade/change the headphone opamp or it's better not to touch at this one?

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,645 of 3,573
Some people don't believe that different opamps, capacitors, resistors, etc. have any effect on the sound unless they are changing parameters/specs.

The 5532 is a very fine opamp that has nothing about it to suggest it compromises sound quality.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,646 of 3,573
  Some people don't believe that different opamps, capacitors, resistors, etc. have any effect on the sound unless they are changing parameters/specs.

The 5532 is a very fine opamp that has nothing about it to suggest it compromises sound quality.

This post couldn't possibly be accurate could it?

I'm interested in experimenting with changing opamps, mainly to see if I can actually tell a difference... Do the MUSES01 have the same specs as the stock op amps?

I imagine the DAC is based around the opamps doing a specific task in a certain way? I'd want to avoid buying opamps that might cause issues/complications or using opamps that clearly don't fit the specific design/requirement as engineered by Asus. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #2,647 of 3,573
I see that there has been a lot of discussion about the imbalance problem here earlier, but that the newer units have new A10 pots which does not have this issue. My unit has the sucky pots, hence replacement is imminent. Did you guys locate somewhere to buy these in small quantities, like two?

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,648 of 3,573
  I see that there has been a lot of discussion about the imbalance problem here earlier, but that the newer units have new A10 pots which does not have this issue. My unit has the sucky pots, hence replacement is imminent. Did you guys locate somewhere to buy these in small quantities, like two?

Mach3, found a supplier for the A10, but unfortunately you had to buy in bulk of 100 so it never eventuated. I'm pretty sure he swap the b10s around which fixed the balance problem, however this will only work if one of your pots are good and also how you intended use your dac

I no longer own the E1 dac because both b10s had balance issues. great dac especially with the muses but the b10 pots ruined it for me

PS: When are you going to review the TH900s? I liked your last review on the heed amp and was quite impressed with the functionality of the Mytek

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,649 of 3,573
  Mach3, found a supplier for the A10, but unfortunately you had to buy in bulk of 100 so it never eventuated. I'm pretty sure he swap the b10s around which fixed the balance problem, however this will only work if one of your pots are good and also how you intended use your dac

Actually, it was minimum 1000 and it where about 2-3 dollars each can't remember. Excluding shipping cost by the way (so you do the math, not an ideal scenario)

Can't wait for the Essence III to come out, just hate how company like to announce **** they don't have a release date for. Pointless hype if you ask me.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #2,650 of 3,573

Can't wait for the Essence III to come out, just hate how company like to announce **** they don't have a release date for. Pointless hype if you ask me.

Yea... pointless as hell, mostly if it's not to be out anytime soon and even more stupid if it's without price!

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,651 of 3,573

I no longer own the E1 dac because both b10s had balance issues. great dac especially with the muses but the b10 pots ruined it for me

PS: When are you going to review the TH900s? I liked your last review on the heed amp and was quite impressed with the functionality of the Mytek

I see in your sig it says your are using the TH900s, how do you like them?

I used a pair of Denon D7000s for years and recently sold them.  But I miss that sound signature and I am looking to get the Fostex TH900.  I hear they are very similar as far as sound goes.  Would you recommend them to someone who was a fan of the Denon's?

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,652 of 3,573

Hia!

What a shame. I doubt ASUS will be helpful with shipping out the B10 pots to people who want to replace them too...

About TH-900. I recently moved to a new location and offloaded a lot of stuff to buy some speakers, TH-900 was one of the headphones I sold. I know a lot of people wil disagree with me on this, but I think they were treble hot. Tried using Equalizer APO (open source equalizing software) to tame them down a bit, and they were much more enjoyable then. Also, I was expecting TH900 to have the same physical midbass punch as Denon AH-D7000 but with better overall soundquality and deeper bass.

They did run deeper, had more details and a broader soundstage, but they lacked the midbass punch of D7000. The deep bass was great, but the treble hit something with me and didn't work out. I'm a huge fan of D7000 and I was expecting to get something else which could ultimately replace the D7000's, however, that turned out to be wrong. Actually, I don't think D7000 and TH-900 has as much in common as has been said. If they didn't look that similar, I doubt people would be mentioning them in the same sentence all the time.

Actually, it was minimum 1000 and it where about 2-3 dollars each can't remember. Excluding shipping cost by the way (so you do the math, not an ideal scenario)

Do you know the parts number of the B10 pots, please?

I used a pair of Denon D7000s for years and recently sold them.  But I miss that sound signature and I am looking to get the Fostex TH900.  I hear they are very similar as far as sound goes.  Would you recommend them to someone who was a fan of the Denon's?

I think my comments about D7k and TH-900 above can be a little helpful. However, note that there is not a lot of people who agree with me that TH-900 is treble hot, and even people who are sensitive to sibilance can be sensitive to different frequency intervals.

Wish they would just start producing D7000 again under a new name. We could start a thread on that and see how many would be interested, maybe Fostex would do it if enough people showed interest.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2,653 of 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway

Did not go searching for the B10 pot.
I got a quote for the A10 pot as it was superior to the B10 which is why new standard essence one come with them instead of the B10.
Also volume adjustment is more linear.

Product code: RD904F-20-15F-A10K-00D
Manufacturer: TAIWAN ALPHA
Minimum Order: 1000
Cost Per Unit: $1.91
Delivery: 4-6 Weeks

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #2,654 of 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway

Did not go searching for the B10 pot.
I got a quote for the A10 pot as it was superior to the B10 which is why new standard essence one come with them instead of the B10.
Also volume adjustment is more linear.

Product code: RD904F-20-15F-A10K-00D
Manufacturer: TAIWAN ALPHA
Minimum Order: 1000
Cost Per Unit: $1.91
Delivery: 4-6 Weeks

Thank you. I mixed up as the goal is to replace the B10's with a pair of A10's to get rid of the imbalance issues on both outputs.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #2,655 of 3,573

Absolutely, the TH900 is said by many to be best sounding closed-back HP on the market today closely followed by W3000ANV.  The sound signature of the D7000 and TH900 is similar in the way as soon as you hear both you know they are closely related, however you soon realise that TH900 is the big brother of the 2 with its tighter beeper bass, and with its more forward clearer midrange, overall it has more refined detailed sound.

Before you decide on buying new HPs, If you get a chance to audition the TH900s you should, considering you already know the D7000s

Hia!

About TH-900. I recently moved to a new location and offloaded a lot of stuff to buy some speakers, TH-900 was one of the headphones I sold. I know a lot of people wil disagree with me on this, but I think they were treble hot. Tried using Equalizer APO (open source equalizing software) to tame them down a bit, and they were much more enjoyable then. Also, I was expecting TH900 to have the same physical midbass punch as Denon AH-D7000 but with better overall soundquality and deeper bass.

They did run deeper, had more details and a broader soundstage, but they lacked the midbass punch of D7000. The deep bass was great, but the treble hit something with me and didn't work out. I'm a huge fan of D7000 and I was expecting to get something else which could ultimately replace the D7000's, however, that turned out to be wrong. Actually, I don't think D7000 and TH-900 has as much in common as has been said. If they didn't look that similar, I doubt people would be mentioning them in the same sentence all the time.

Interesting, I have to agree with TH900s being a bit treble hot, the funny thing is I did not feel this way "At All" when I had the E1 muses edition, in fact I would say the pairing had a very smooth top-end....... However, now with the Femto in my chain the TH900s top-end sounds quite aggressive which is the only gripe I've had with the femto, so maybe its what you pair with rather than the HPs themselves

I strongly disagree with the lack of midbass punch, I find the midbass/midrange to be by far its strongest point using both E1 and femto. If you head over to the TH900 thread you will read loads of posts with this point of view

Do you know if your th900s had the original pads? because same people who have experimented with aftermarket pads say they change the signature quite significantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back