Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Sep 7, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #2,566 of 3,573
I have messaged you.
Should solve your problem.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,567 of 3,573

I see, the thing is, the MUSES edition costs like twice as much here. I can get a normal E1 for around $400AUD, but looks like the MUSES editions go for like $1K USD. 

If I got the E1, would I ever regret not getting a more traditional DAC that was in the same price range?

"SQ alone" E1 Muses edition nothing up to 2k to my ears comes close.  E1 standard edition is big bang for you buck and can upgrade to muses edition, however standard edition isn't in the same ball park as the muses edition in SQ

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2,568 of 3,573
  "SQ alone" E1 Muses edition nothing up to 2k to my ears comes close.  E1 standard edition is big bang for you buck and can upgrade to muses edition, however standard edition isn't in the same ball park as the muses edition in SQ

Got ya. So the Muses op amps, do they improve the specs, like SNR/THD and stuff and process signal more 'cleanly'? or do they just colour/reproduce signals/sound in ways that are more pleasant?

Outside of "SQ" what else is important? The E1 looks like it has lots of features that more expensive hardware lacks too.

I'm sorry for the poor communication, I know little about sound and audio hardware.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,569 of 3,573

Got ya. So the Muses op amps, do they improve the specs, like SNR/THD and stuff and process signal more 'cleanly'? or do they just colour/reproduce signals/sound in ways that are more pleasant?

Outside of "SQ" what else is important? The E1 looks like it has lots of features that more expensive hardware lacks too.

I'm sorry for the poor communication, I know little about sound and audio hardware.

Specification wise, it's not that "great". In terms of reproduction, it outputs a more neutral and pleasant sound signature with much better vocals, sound stage, and instrument separation. It is one of the best, if not the best op-amps i have found to date (surpasses second place LME49990 by a fair margin in my opinion). It sounds a little closer to a V sound, where the mid-range vocal is a bit more centralized than the other bits and pieces of background music. I prefer this, but audio is an iffy hobby so where one prefers, another can dislike.

It has an internal power supply that regulates clean energy, separate volume controls, op-amp based for sound design, runs cool, great DAC IC's, and a pretty darn good multiple layer pcb to save room. Only negative i see about the Essence One is that it takes some time to tweak the sound the way you like it. Having that said, the output current is a little low and may only satisfy a few planar magnetic headphones such as HE400. I felt like the HE500 and LCD2 was super restricted, but hey, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2,571 of 3,573
  Specification wise, it's not that "great". In terms of reproduction, it outputs a more neutral and pleasant sound signature with much better vocals, sound stage, and instrument separation. It is one of the best, if not the best op-amps i have found to date (surpasses second place LME49990 by a fair margin in my opinion). It sounds a little closer to a V sound, where the mid-range vocal is a bit more centralized than the other bits and pieces of background music. I prefer this, but audio is an iffy hobby so where one prefers, another can dislike.

It has an internal power supply that regulates clean energy, separate volume controls, op-amp based for sound design, runs cool, great DAC IC's, and a pretty darn good multiple layer pcb to save room. Only negative i see about the Essence One is that it takes some time to tweak the sound the way you like it. Having that said, the output current is a little low and may only satisfy a few planar magnetic headphones such as HE400. I felt like the HE500 and LCD2 was super restricted, but hey, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

In terms of specs, what else is there to look out for? The E1 seems to have better SNR than almost everything I've seen. That said I know these sorts of things aren't everything. I'm just curious.

I see. Well I had only planned to use them with a pair of something like the HD650's for now, and a pair of something like Swan M200 MKIII or T200 speakers down the road.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,572 of 3,573

In terms of specs, what else is there to look out for? The E1 seems to have better SNR than almost everything I've seen.

I see. Well I had only planned to use them with a pair of something like the HD650's for now, and a pair of Swan M200 MKIII speakers down the road.

You can't just go off SNR.
Most tube amplifiers i know have much lower SNR and sound superb.
120SNR is likely out of the audibility range anyhow.

I would advise you to test it out for $400AUD, but to be honest the stock Essence is nowhere as good as the higher priced Muses unit. Most people should agree with me on that. The stock unit with NE5532 op-amps was made to be replaced/tweaked. It lacks an insane amount of detail, treble, and midrange. Everything sounds all syrupy and pushed back. Bass is also very loose and boomy.

Since this is an appreciation thread, i do recommend you buy and try it out. If you don't like it, return it. However for the money, i recommend two different units instead. For example. Bifrost + Tube or SS Amplifier. Though that method would be a little more costly.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,573 of 3,573

You can't just go off SNR.
Most tube amplifiers i know have much lower SNR and sound superb.
120SNR is likely out of the audibility range anyhow.

I would advise you to test it out for $400AUD, but to be honest the stock Essence is nowhere as good as the higher priced Muses unit. Most people should agree with me on that. The stock unit with NE5532 op-amps was made to be replaced/tweaked. It lacks an insane amount of detail, treble, and midrange. Everything sounds all syrupy and pushed back. Bass is also very loose and boomy.

Since this is an appreciation, i do recommend you buy and try it out. If you don't like it, return it. However for the money, i two different units. For example. Bifrost + Tube or SS Amplifier. Though that method would be a little more costly.

Got it. Cheers :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,574 of 3,573
I got some genuine Muses01 today and just like how I was surprised by how the fake ones ruined the sound, the real ones improve the sound to an extent I find pleasantly surprising. I haven't listened for very long, about 30 minutes with my speakers and then another 30 minutes with the HD 800 via the HDVD 800. The change is that the character of the sound is sharper and better defined, with both good and bad aspects of songs coming into clearer focus. Especially on certain electronic bass samples there's a definite increase in speed as they start and stop, and I've noticed some male vocalists have a gravely or grainy quality to their voices which is coming through with a clarity I haven't heard before.

Other aspects like separation between elements of the music and the size of the soundstage has increased as well, but it's the sharpness of focus that stood out as the most obvious change, as if a layer of crap has been removed from the sound and now I'm hearing the sound actually present on the recordings. The "bad" thing about this new sense of sharpness is that sibilants are a bit harder than they used to be, though still well within tolerable levels. It doesn't sound like the kind of horrible sibilance you get from crappy headphones. I remember some comments about the Muses01 having a "V" style sound, and I guess this would be that character coming into play since there's now a whole bunch of Muses01 in my Essence One Muses Edition. Every single song I've tried so far has had this new style of sound in its presentation. A proper upgrade in sound quality, not just a "change in flavor" or something like that.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,575 of 3,573
  I got some genuine Muses01 today and just like how I was surprised by how the fake ones ruined the sound, the real ones improve the sound to an extent I find pleasantly surprising. I haven't listened for very long, about 30 minutes with my speakers and then another 30 minutes with the HD 800 via the HDVD 800. The change is that the character of the sound is sharper and better defined, with both good and bad aspects of songs coming into clearer focus. Especially on certain electronic bass samples there's a definite increase in speed as they start and stop, and I've noticed some male vocalists have a gravely or grainy quality to their voices which is coming through with a clarity I haven't heard before.

Other aspects like separation between elements of the music and the size of the soundstage has increased as well, but it's the sharpness of focus that stood out as the most obvious change, as if a layer of crap has been removed from the sound and now I'm hearing the sound actually present on the recordings. The "bad" thing about this new sense of sharpness is that sibilants are a bit harder than they used to be, though still well within tolerable levels. It doesn't sound like the kind of horrible sibilance you get from crappy headphones. I remember some comments about the Muses01 having a "V" style sound, and I guess this would be that character coming into play since there's now a whole bunch of Muses01 in my Essence One Muses Edition. Every single song I've tried so far has had this new style of sound in its presentation. A proper upgrade in sound quality, not just a "change in flavor" or something like that.

I would be the one who commented about the V style sound. The pointy part being the vocal, while the back ends are the instruments and vocal fade-aways being well separated rather than all being meshed behind the main vocal. Everything before sounded like "v", "o", "■", they were all over the place. Those op-amps truly expand everything and like you said, not a change in flavor for varied preferences, but genuinely sounding better.

How many were you able to obtain? If you have 6 total, that is deal.
I have found 6 MUSES01 (I/V | LFP) and 49990 in the headphone outputs to sound best, but that's just me.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,576 of 3,573
I have a Essence One Muses Edition, so I got 3x more Muses01 for the unbalanced and balanced buffers. I don't use the headphone output, so 9x Muses01 is probably everything I'll ever need. The unbalanced output goes to my speakers (Nad C 375BEE and B&W CM8), while the balanced connection goes to the HDVD 800 I use to drive my HD 800 and LCD-2. I'm pleased with the difference it made with the speakers. The improved separation and wider soundstage improves the sensation of the speakers "disappearing" and the music filling the entire space in front of you in all directions. I'm also liking the slight shift in tone of the sound that came with the improved focus, precision, sharpness, resolution or whatever you want to call it. It feels like a step in the right direction toward realism. The Muses01 are pretty expensive when you buy several at once, but so far I'm more happy with the upgrade than I hoped to be. That's true of the Essence One in general. It's great.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,577 of 3,573
May I ask where you guys get the muses01 amps from any links would be helpful thanks.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,578 of 3,573
  May I ask where you guys get the muses01 amps from any links would be helpful thanks.

[Mod Edit: Links to the site of a banned member]

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,580 of 3,573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back