Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
May 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,101 of 3,573
Quote:

I won't recommend any mods without oscilloscope pics again - I think its probably the best way to recommend things like this. You are quite correct. 

Hi ASUSXONAR,
Well, actually you shouldn't recommend any mods with your ASUS badge there :wink:
The idea is to avoid voiding the warranty, right? Not to justify the result.

I think better if you write: You wont recommend any mods with soldering practice involved :)

Just FYI, oscilloscope is only one thing. There are much complex process if you really want to justify why this sounds like that and why that sounds like this, etc etc etc (even sometime not yet measurable). Not because we don't understand then we shall judge it doesn't make sense (or it's a complete BS). Probably similar when we are watching magician on the show. When we don't know how they do it, we will think they are using 'black magic'. But when we know the secret, then we know it's about how to practice and master the technique.

I believe you have connection to the engineer and R&D. They are absolutely great person to start if you are interested more in this field.

For the sake of knowledge (not only for you, probably also for other), this is a good start to learn (for capacitor sound):
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf

Search for "Pierre Johannet Micro Discharge Interface distortion" if you want to know more how the insulation itself matter, not only the conductor. Unfortunately, mostly in French, but I think in this Internet era, we 'can read' all kind of language. 

PS: I have equipped myself with some equipment. The frequently used one are the oscilloscope (for sure!) and capacitor tester (Sencore LC-102). Some small signal generator and PC based analyzer also helpful to check (as I can't afford a Spectrum Analyzer and Distortion Meter at present time). Sorry if I don't really put all of my result around. I don't think it will bring interest to most readers anyway.

Thanks for coming back on this.

May 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,102 of 3,573
Well I'm over wrestling with my E1 imbalance problem, Asus Australia want nothing to do with fixing or replacing the faulty unit, mainly because every "standard edition" has this problem and if they fix or replace 1 unit than they would be flooded with people wanting the same.

So next dac on my radar is the Audio-gd Master 7

E1 is a great sounding dac/amp combo especially with the muses I've always said this, and I would continue to use my unit if it wasn't for this problem, but I've had enough unfortunately

May 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,103 of 3,573
Quote:
Well I'm over wrestling with my E1 imbalance problem, Asus Australia want nothing to do with fixing or replacing the faulty unit, mainly because every "standard edition" has this problem and if they fix or replace 1 unit than they would be flooded with people wanting the same.

So next dac on my radar is the Audio-gd Master 7

E1 is a great sounding dac/amp combo especially with the muses I've always said this, and I would continue to use my unit if it wasn't for this problem, but I've had enough unfortunately

Hopefully sooner than later,I will get the Audio-gd 27, and compare our notes...please do not tell anybody, good choice Gandah...
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2,104 of 3,573
Quote:
Hopefully sooner than later,I will get the Audio-gd 27, and compare our notes...please do not tell anybody, good choice Gandah...
biggrin.gif

Sure no problem man. Audio-gd products are in well regard with head-fiers and Kingwa, seems like a cool-cat within our community, so I'm looking forward to the new dac
darthsmile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #2,105 of 3,573
Well, the Audio GD will cost you 4x that the E1, right? :)

Regarding channel imbalance, I think ASUSXONAR should be able to help. This is a thing that should be covered under warranty, I think (unless you have tempered your PCB off course).

Thanks.

May 15, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #2,107 of 3,573
Well yeah it doesn't cost as much as my GS-x mk2, but yes a lot more then the E1

I have asked ASUSXONAR quite a few times about this issue, but ASUSXONAR has said he can only help people in North America, and that's cool I understand I'm not pissed or anything its just the way it is

I actually think its a good thing to have a representative here on the E1 thread, I just wish he could help more of us that live outside N.A.

May 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #2,109 of 3,573
Quote:
Yeah the size is one of the cons people talk about a lot, big heavy and power hungry, however they also say SQ outweighs any con 10 fold

I have a large desk so it's not a huge issue but I was a little stunned when I pulled it out of the box.

Sadly I have not gottten to hear it yet, my new amp comes in today! so I am looking forward to hearing what it can do.

May 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,110 of 3,573
Hi ASUSXONAR,
Well, actually you shouldn't recommend any mods with your ASUS badge there :wink:
The idea is to avoid voiding the warranty, right? Not to justify the result.

I think better if you write: You wont recommend any mods with soldering practice involved :)

Just FYI, oscilloscope is only one thing. There are much complex process if you really want to justify why this sounds like that and why that sounds like this, etc etc etc (even sometime not yet measurable). Not because we don't understand then we shall judge it doesn't make sense (or it's a complete BS). Probably similar when we are watching magician on the show. When we don't know how they do it, we will think they are using 'black magic'. But when we know the secret, then we know it's about how to practice and master the technique.

I believe you have connection to the engineer and R&D. They are absolutely great person to start if you are interested more in this field.

For the sake of knowledge (not only for you, probably also for other), this is a good start to learn (for capacitor sound):
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf

Search for "Pierre Johannet Micro Discharge Interface distortion" if you want to know more how the insulation itself matter, not only the conductor. Unfortunately, mostly in French, but I think in this Internet era, we 'can read' all kind of language. 

PS: I have equipped myself with some equipment. The frequently used one are the oscilloscope (for sure!) and capacitor tester (Sencore LC-102). Some small signal generator and PC based analyzer also helpful to check (as I can't afford a Spectrum Analyzer and Distortion Meter at present time). Sorry if I don't really put all of my result around. I don't think it will bring interest to most readers anyway.

Thanks for coming back on this.

thanks for your input. i have over 15 years of experience with audio and diy. and thats why i am here representing the asus xonar team - it was their suggestion i handle this account. I know the r&d and pm team quite well and am fortunate enough to work with them in some areas. i am not an engineer but do know that mods do and dont work. I do take feedback to r&d yes - even component choices. Just so you know i am not new to the world of audio and mods :)

sorry that my suggestion for not modding the pcb directly and soldering to the opamp bothers you. i suggested it because its an easier route and because i know people like modding. A damaged opamp is far easier to replace than a damaged pcb. ask csarrow who tried cap mods and then got himself banned when he got into trouble. when he started i told him by pm not to but he was resolute and ended up with a paper weight.

Next time i post anything it like this it will be a complete guide.

nice equipment. if you have any before and after mod measurements please do post them. Some of us enjoy that stuff and its nice to confirm improvements.

Ps we will have some nice news for e1 folks soon.

May 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,111 of 3,573
Thanks ASUSXONAR.

Well actually it's not really inportant for me to know you and your experience, but the most important is what you have contributed to the surrounding. They will judge themselves who you are and what are you. Everyone can write anything about everything, right?

But I dont really think I will post anything related with Xonar here any longer. I think with your 15 years experience, you do can give some mods practice. Well, you are from ASUS, right? Better if they follow the correct source :wink:

Thanks.

May 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,112 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks ASUSXONAR.

Well actually it's not really inportant for me to know you and your experience, but the most important is what you have contributed to the surrounding. They will judge themselves who you are and what are you. Everyone can write anything about everything, right?

But I dont really think I will post anything related with Xonar here any longer. I think with your 15 years experience, you do can give some mods practice. Well, you are from ASUS, right? Better if they follow the correct source
wink.gif

Thanks.

Hi,

1) Yes they certainly can. We're not here to compare knowledge levels or win contests against one another. Sharing knowledge where possible is always good. Having spent time working with engineers in the past and having built circuits myself, I know that some things can improve sound and measurements while others can make them worse. With mods this extensive and other guys showing interest or thinking of following suit I just thought it wise to mention there are other ways to mod that aren't as risky from a warranty perspective. Sometimes maybe we should provide measurements, too.

2) By all means, don't stop posting here just because we did not quite agree with one another. Part of the Xonar ethos is to embrace the fact that you guys like to mod things. At the same time yes we do have to consider some things ourselves. If it were not for this community some of these products would not even exist. On top of that, there is stuff I can't quite divulge which shows how much we value this forum and our commitment here - more on that soon.

May 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,114 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks ASUSXONAR.

But I dont really think I will post anything related with Xonar here any longer. I think with your 15 years experience, you do can give some mods practice. Well, you are from ASUS, right? Better if they follow the correct source
wink.gif

Thanks.

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,115 of 3,573
Hi, I'm not sure anyone covered this already (a thread search came up unconclusive), but:

How does the E1 treat HD600 and HD650s directly from the headphone amp section? What about LCD2/3's?

I know the headphone section doesn't go through the muses, would it be better to drive the headphones through the muses speaker out->headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back