Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,951 of 3,573
Quote:
I wish there was a fix for this imbalance sound issue.

Happens in speakers mainly.

The nice thing about the airmotiv speakers, is that each got its own volume, so issue fixed 
wink_face.gif
...I know you love those babies, don't you?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,952 of 3,573
Quote:
The nice thing about the airmotiv speakers, is that each got its own volume, so issue fixed 
wink_face.gif
...I know you love those babies, don't you?

Always feels better to have it 100% even, rather than going through tweaks. 
evil_smiley.gif

Makes life more simple.

Airmotiv's are the $h1F.
I listened to the Stealth, it's good, but.... too large..

Tim

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,953 of 3,573
Yes, it would be great if Asus could fix the sound imbalance issue through the speakers.  Maybe they can fix it through a firmware upgrade?

ASUSXONAR, could you bring that to the attention of your engineers?

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,954 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes, it would be great if Asus could fix the sound imbalance issue through the speakers.  Maybe they can fix it through a firmware upgrade?

ASUSXONAR, could you bring that to the attention of your engineers?

Sound imbalance comes from volume pot and is dependable on it's setting. Mine is affected only at the very beginning of the scale, so at listening levels there is no problem.
As this is unrepeatable hardware problem, it could be adjusted using software (firmware) case by case - impossible mission.
The only solution is to use higher quality potentiometer.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,955 of 3,573
Quote:
Sound imbalance comes from volume pot and is dependable on it's setting. Mine is affected only at the very beginning of the scale, so at listening levels there is no problem.
As this is unrepeatable hardware problem, it could be adjusted using software (firmware) case by case - impossible mission.

Yes the Taiwanese Alpha potentiometer are the problem

Mine on rear output, pot is imbalanced all the way round to 5 o'clock. HP amp on the other hand was imbalanced and now it's not, however I no longer use it anymore. The pot is not of bad quality, it just doesn't gel with the units build

Maybe Japanese Alps potentiometer would of been a better choice

Just sayin...........

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,956 of 3,573
That picture of the japanese potentiometer doesn't have the two pins coming out the back unlike the stock taiwanese one.

If you can locate a japanese one with the same pins, i'll get two and try it out with my essence one.
It isn't really stock now anyway, might as well give it a try.

As of now, the imbalance is heard mainly from 7-12 o'clock.
From 12-5 o'clock i could hear that the left is 4-5% louder.
Didn't get this problem with the NuForce HDP nor DAC-100 that i have
The only way for me to get around this was by adjusting the L/R balances on Windows.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,957 of 3,573
Quote:

Well, maybe ASUS could offer us to upgrade the volume pot and fix the issue.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,960 of 3,573
i got mine stable with two rocks and some jelly.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,961 of 3,573
Quote:
If you can locate a japanese one with the same pins, i'll get two and try it out with my essence one.
It isn't really stock now anyway, might as well give it a try.

Hehe... I want to elect Tim for our own resident E1 Beta tester, for all the modding so far, and his willingness to go the extra mile
gs1000.gif

Unfortunately I don't think its as easy as swapping the pot out, however I could be wrong. My point was if asus design the E1 with Japan Alps pot which has been proven to be robust in the DIY community, we more then likely would not have this problem.

Tim, if anyone can do it you can. I petition Tim aka cssarrow too Essence One mk2 team leader of project design
ksc75smile.gif

popcorn.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,962 of 3,573
"DIY Muses E1" 

Haha!
That's so cute! I love it. 
tongue.gif

It shouldn't be hard.
Just using a simple heat gun and heating up the bottomof the petentiometer until the solder melts.
Afterwards, use a long clamp to remove the old and pop in the new.

Might be difficult for those who doesn't have a heat-adjustable/digital heat-gun.

He said Essence One MK-2, hahah! classic.
That sounds pretty beast, not going to lie.

I'm looking online right now for some Japan Alps Pot with the same pins as the stock.
Help would be appreciated.

Tim

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #1,963 of 3,573
Does Asus use the same volume pot for the speakers and headphones?

If it is the same one, I wonder why the speaker side is a lot more noticeable?  It's actually quite bad and unacceptable.  If you're selling something for almost 1k, you have to get the basics right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back