Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Apr 6, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,906 of 3,573
Quote:
I think I read somewhere XLR is 4v and RCA is 2v. You can buy XLR to RCA cables, so it should be ok

Yeah, was wondering what that extra 2V could do.

Been up 2 hours trying to fix this issue on my Essence One, but i think the RCA out is dead.
Only the left side speaker is working, space is too tight for me to know which line is going where.
I could just make my own XLR to RCA, but a little weary of that 2V. eh... time to research.

Bad thing is, i only have 49710HA on adapter board for the RCA.
The XLR uses two for buffer, being too close together, it will not fit 49710's on adapters..
Gahh! I'm so angryy!!

Tim

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #1,907 of 3,573
Quote:
The resistor in my Essence One broke again (near RCA op-amp).
I think it was due to solder not being hot enough to bond, no conduction = imbalanced signal.

At times like this, i wish i could sell my speakers and go for something with XLR input, so that i can ignore that broken RCA output on the Essence One entirely.

I wonder..
Is it possible to make a Dual 3 Pin XLR (Left Channel & Right Channel) to RCA's (Left Channel & Right Channel) cable and have it work with RCA input speakers?

Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage :
Balanced Output : 4 Vrms ( Vp-p)
Unbalanced Output : 2 Vrms ( Vp-p)

Just scared that the voltage different would have an adverse affect.
It would still obviously become an unbalanced cable, but it would help me get around the RCA issue.
Can anyone comment on this?

Tim

The One XLR output does not bring the standard +4db output so it should not be a problem if you use it as RCA. The easyest way is to connect pin 1 as ground, pin 2 as signal and leave pin 3 unconnected on the xlr connector. And also you only get half the amplitude because you don´t use the negative signal anymore.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,908 of 3,573
I use the asus one upgraded with six muses opamp with my ls 50 speaker, I tried the lme 49710 in the rca buffer but in my configuration I prefer the sound of standard asus one opamp, Perhaps the upgrade in the buffer with lme 49710 is only recommended for those who use headphones.

Ciao

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,910 of 3,573
Quote:
The One XLR output does not bring the standard +4db output so it should not be a problem if you use it as RCA. The easyest way is to connect pin 1 as ground, pin 2 as signal and leave pin 3 unconnected on the xlr connector. And also you only get half the amplitude because you don´t use the negative signal anymore.

Ah.
Shouldn't pin 3 have to be soldered to pin 1, then pin 1 goes to RCA ground, while pin 2 as signal wire?

Another thing, since it's half amplitude, does it mean that the XLR unbalanced is better, or worst than RCA unbalanced?
I would think that with a less amp'd signal, would let the powered speakers do their job more and ultimately have lower noise.

So basically i would need two, 3 pin XLR to two RCA plugs.
One 3 pin XLR for the Left Chanel, and the other for the Right.
Correct?

Thanks by the way.
Quote:
I use the asus one upgraded with six muses opamp with my ls 50 speaker, I tried the lme 49710 in the rca buffer but in my configuration I prefer the sound of standard asus one opamp, Perhaps the upgrade in the buffer with lme 49710 is only recommended for those who use headphones.

Ciao

Did you use the 49710 on TO-99 adapter boards in the headphone buffer?
It's somewhat hard to spot the difference on speakers if your speakers aren't neutral enough.
It was hard for me to notice it on the speakers at first when using the rca buffer, but the change is there if you play a single FLAC song multiple times.

I'm thinking about switching from RCA Unbalanced to XLR Unbalanced and using two discrete op-amps in the XLR's Buffer stages.
Perhaps the Audio-gd Sun/Moon/Earth (one of them).

If you feel as if the 49710 did nothing, sell it.

Tim

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,911 of 3,573
Quote:
Ah.
Shouldn't pin 3 have to be soldered to pin 1, then pin 1 goes to RCA ground, while pin 2 as signal wire?

Another thing, since it's half amplitude, does it mean that the XLR unbalanced is better, or worst than RCA unbalanced?
I would think that with a less amp'd signal, would let the powered speakers do their job more and ultimately have lower noise.

So basically i would need two, 3 pin XLR to two RCA plugs.
One 3 pin XLR for the Left Chanel, and the other for the Right.
Correct?

Thanks by the way.

Tim

You could connect pin 1 and 3 but this is an output so you would basically short one output signal whitch is not a very clean solution and it would not be important like on xlr input adapters. On half amplitude the xlr would be pretty much the same as an rca output.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,912 of 3,573
Ah, so doing it like that without the extra negative wire cuts it to 2V (in half)?
Which means half amplitude of XLR, equaling the same as RCA amplitude.

Do you think there will be any differences i can hear using XLR unbalanced versus RCA unbalanced?
I'm asking this, since the XLR is individually controlled per channel and has it's own separate op-amp.

Pin 2 = Signal
Pin 1 = Grounded to RCA
Can i use Pin 3 and connect it to shielding but not connect it at the rca side?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Tim

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,913 of 3,573
Quote:
Ah, so doing it like that without the extra negative wire cuts it to 2V (in half)?
Which means half amplitude of XLR, equaling the same as RCA amplitude.

Do you think there will be any differences i can hear using XLR unbalanced versus RCA unbalanced?
I'm asking this, since the XLR is individually controlled per channel and has it's own separate op-amp.

Pin 2 = Signal
Pin 1 = Grounded to RCA
Can i use Pin 3 and connect it to shielding but not connect it at the rca side?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Tim

It needs to have its own stereo opamp per channel because you always have to buffer the + and - signal instead of only the + on the rca. Looks like that there is a difference in the bypassing of the xlr buffer op-s there are 2 smd capacitors missing compared to the rca outpput. I didn´t really do an xlr/rca comparison, my amp has xlr inputs so i always used xlr but noone reported big differences so they should sound pretty similar. (except that you can´t use the 49710, maybe you should try the opa827 instead). I would leave pin 3 unconnected because you don´t need it and because it is an output and not an input you won´t have problems with noise if you leave a pin unconnected. You should get 2v with only one pin connected to rca.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,914 of 3,573
Quote:
It needs to have its own stereo opamp per channel because you always have to buffer the + and - signal instead of only the + on the rca. Looks like that there is a difference in the bypassing of the xlr buffer op-s there are 2 smd capacitors missing compared to the rca outpput. I didn´t really do an xlr/rca comparison, my amp has xlr inputs so i always used xlr but noone reported big differences so they should sound pretty similar. (except that you can´t use the 49710, maybe you should try the opa827 instead). I would leave pin 3 unconnected because you don´t need it and because it is an output and not an input you won´t have problems with noise if you leave a pin unconnected. You should get 2v with only one pin connected to rca.

Thanks! Very descriptive, love ya!

I sold my AD797's and can't recall if they did okay in buffer stages.
Since i won't be able to use 49710HA's due to size limitation, i'm looking for an alternative.

What does everyone recommend for XLR Buffer?

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,915 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks! Very descriptive, love ya!

I sold my AD797's and can't recall if they did okay in buffer stages.
Since i won't be able to use 49710HA's due to size limitation, i'm looking for an alternative.

What does everyone recommend for XLR Buffer?

The ad797-s don´t work well in any position in the one, they are unstable everywhere. I recommended the opa827. i am currently using the lme49990 in i/v and the opa827 in lpf and buffer. Compared to the 49710 it sounds smoother because it does not have that much treble, the 49710 is a bit too bright. Soundstage is probably a bit better than the 49710.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,916 of 3,573
Quote:
The ad797-s don´t work well in any position in the one, they are unstable everywhere. I recommended the opa827. i am currently using the lme49990 in i/v and the opa827 in lpf and buffer. Compared to the 49710 it sounds smoother because it does not have that much treble, the 49710 is a bit too bright. Soundstage is probably a bit better than the 49710.

The LME49990 is great in I/V (or in buffer). I just can't let go of them whatever combo I've tried. They are smooth, neutral and they have a really, really big soundstage (the biggest from all opamps I own). I can clearly hear more detail and seperation from my music using them over the AD797BR's in the buffer. However, they may tend to get hissy in certain songs depending on what combo you use with them.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,917 of 3,573
Quote:
The gain jumper is near the headphone section of the MUSES unit. From what I know, it's not really mod friendly (circuit gain will be set by SMT resistors) and the jumper pads won't be part of the standard or plus edition PCB (a PCB revision was made for the jumper).

Once and for all, does the MUSES edition have the gain switch or not?

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,918 of 3,573
Quote:

Yeah, i remember that and still so sad.
Right next to 49710, the AD797 is pretty much my all time favorite op-amp.

Looks like you got a somewhat similar set-up to Kenion.
Thing is with the treble, i use Audioengine A5+ and Audez'e LCD-2 which isn't spectacular in the treble area, so the 49710's help with this.
How much smoother is the OPA827? (how lower is the treble?)
I could use a little bigger sound stage, but not by too much.
Mainly want to focus on an op-amp with more detail/treble/separation.
Quote:
The LME49990 is great in I/V (or in buffer). I just can't let go of them whatever combo I've tried. They are smooth, neutral and they have a really, really big soundstage (the biggest from all opamps I own). I can clearly hear more detail and seperation from my music using them over the AD797BR's in the buffer. However, they may tend to get hissy in certain songs depending on what combo you use with them.

Have you tried the OPA827 in buffer?
How does LME49990 compare to 49720/4562 in buffer? 
I'm not too much of a sound stage guyy, one of few reasons why i sold the HE-500/HD-800/AKG K701.
If you're sure that they have more detail and separation, it's my queue to get them! Those are the two most important thing to me.
How is the treble/bass/neutrality compared to the AD797 or 49720?
Quote:

Once and for all, does the MUSES edition have the gain switch or not?

Read back to earlier pages bro, this was discusses for at least 10 pages.
It doesn't come with gain switch, unless you RMA it for a new one and specifically request for the switch to be installed.
Even with that, the gain switch muses doesn't sound as good as the the one without.

Tim

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,919 of 3,573
Which opamps in what slots would you guys recommend for a warm, smooth and dark sound signature (through headphones)?

Quote:
Read back to earlier pages bro, this was discusses for at least 10 pages.
It doesn't come with gain switch, unless you RMA it for a new one and specifically request for the switch to be installed.
Even with that, the gain switch muses doesn't sound as good as the the one without.

Thanks, but what a disappointment...

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,920 of 3,573
Quote:
Which opamps in what slots would you guys recommend for a warm, smooth and dark sound signature (through headphones)?

Thanks, but what a disappointment...

No problem!
It's a real shame, for those who use IEM's that is.

i thought the stock NE5532 was smooth/warm/dark.
Another would be AD797, but it's not usable on the Essence One.

You could give LME49990's a try, that is what im going to do now, for the buffer stages.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back