Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,576 of 3,573
Going to order some OPA2111KP's. They are listed as "recommended" on the Asus manual.
From what I've read they seem to have a really good bass, soundstage and a somewhat lower treble - which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Does anyone already had the chance to try them out?

Update: Also going to check out the OPA2227's

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,577 of 3,573
Quote:
I have the HE-500.
The muses Essence One outputs plenty of power for it.
Sounds a lot better than everything else that i have listened with, that's including a Schiit Asgard and LYR.

I'm going to my friends house today to strip naked his Essence One MUSES and compare it to mine side by side to check for changes.

Tim

You tested with a biftost+lyr and bifrost+ asgard and prefer the Muses? How would you say the sound compared to the Schiit stacks?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,578 of 3,573
Quote:

You tested with a biftost+lyr and bifrost+ asgard and prefer the Muses? How would you say the sound compared to the Schiit stacks?

Correct.

Perhaps it was a little bias, as i dislike tube amps, but that doesn't explain it with the Asgard.
the LYR i'll admit could have had better tubes, but once i don't like something in the beginning i choose to ignore it entirely, thus was why i sold it.

The Essence One sounds loads better the the Schiit Modi/Magni.
I bought that due to affordability and only use it at work.

For under $900, the Essence One is a "must get" DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp.
That is, if you are looking for a 3 in 1 combo.

If you want something a little more over the top, getting a NuForce DAC-100 paired with a balanced headphone amplifier would most likely be better, but more expensive.

Tim

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,579 of 3,573
Quote:

Correct.

Perhaps it was a little bias, as i dislike tube amps, but that doesn't explain it with the Asgard.
the LYR i'll admit could have had better tubes, but once i don't like something in the beginning i choose to ignore it entirely, thus was why i sold it.

The Essence One sounds loads better the the Schiit Modi/Magni.
I bought that due to affordability and only use it at work.

For under $900, the Essence One is a "must get" DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp.
That is, if you are looking for a 3 in 1 combo.

If you want something a little more over the top, getting a NuForce DAC-100 paired with a balanced headphone amplifier would most likely be better, but more expensive.

Tim

Cool, thanks for the reply. I tried the original E1 and I wasn't that impressed I guess those $50 opamps really do the trick huh?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,580 of 3,573
Quote:

Cool, thanks for the reply. I tried the original E1 and I wasn't that impressed I guess those $50 opamps really do the trick huh?

I don't like the stock NE5532 one bit.

It's only good once you incorporate it with other op-amps.
You'll have to go through some intensive work to find the right balance.

MUSES did it for me.
I was going to return the Essence One after hearing the stock NE5532 as they sounded worst than NuForce HDP.
After switching to MUSES01's, i sold the HDP so that tells you something.

Tim

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,581 of 3,573
Quote:
That is why I decided to get the Audio-gd Compass 2 (or the NFB-27 if Asus reimbursed me) with Sabre ESS9018, which is known for its neutral and revealing signature.
To be honest, we need to enjoy music, as we are not a Studio recording or something, as long we have something that makes me smile for hours.
If this setup was open/clear and revealing , I would tell you , the HD800 will sound really bad with this setup, and most of who owns the HD800, loves how it sounds with it.

I agree, life is too short to not enjoy. I did crack open the unit last night, and as everyone reported, no Gain switch, which actually closes out the only other reason I would have kept it. Maybe when they finally ship ones built with the correct boards. Asus is going out on an dangerous limb here, first sending out samples to get reviewed, with no supply to fill the demand, then shipping European configured lunits (non of the power cords we use in North American homes), then this.

Asus is a well, well, well respected company in the motherboard business, maybe even better than Apple in its stellar position, so these missteps are odd to say the least. On to something else....

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,582 of 3,573
I had to RMA a few Asus Nexus 7 because of screen lift on one side never did get one with out it, cant say I would be happy to get a Muses Edition with a missing gain switch, assuming I still have my hearing when it finally makes an appearance in the UK
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,583 of 3,573
Still waiting for any update from Asus!

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #1,584 of 3,573
Quote:
No, i just did some measurements it cuts the high frequencies also on usb.

The meausurement is made with onboard line in so it does not represents the actual  quality of the frequency response but it is good enough to show the high cut.

Interesting Whit3Rav3n,
I'll have to test mine again. I thought the USB was OK on mine...

Nonetheless, for sure the TosLink and coaxial's are being lowpassed when upsampled below 15kHz which is AUDIBLE and IMO a significant firmware bug when playing 16/44 audio.

ASUS - PLEASE FIX THIS BUG WHICH HAMPERS THE USE OF THE UPSAMPLING FEATURE!!!

Thanks...

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,586 of 3,573
Great.

Hopefully this gets solved soon.
I would love to use the upsampling function, however when i use it, the frequencies seems to drop, and everything becomes overly smooth/blended.

Would be a great attribute for treble heavy songs.
Should roll off some of the harshness and make MP3 more enjoyable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,587 of 3,573
Quote:

HQ just got back today and are setting something up for this as we speak. For now, send me your details via PM and I will forward them.

PM sent with details.

Your help in this matter is really appreciated & thanked, and I am sure Asus will never disappoint.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,588 of 3,573
Hi ASUSXONAR,

Fist of all thanks for your input on the forums as I'm sure most us appreciate when companies get involved and provide support and input within the community.

In regards to my query, I'm thinking of upgrading my Essence One and I'm curios to know if ASUS have any plans to sell OP AMPS like the MUSES01 through there distribution channels to the general public as its fairly difficult to obtain the recommended MUSES01 OP AMPS. 

Currently it's only available through Digy-Key if purchasing 100 + units or an eBay seller that is selling it for an inflated price directly from China.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back