Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,546 of 3,573
Great to hear that you guys enjoy your new E1 despite the missing gain selector.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,547 of 3,573
Quote:
...and the Muses do not make that big difference, so your OK....
biggrin.gif

P.S: I can confirm that the sound is getting better, and I can assure you guys, that this DAC/amp is one one the most comfortable I ever used, no fatigue what so ever even after hours of listing.

I am loving it more and more.....and I don't know how I will  bare shipping it back...
frown.gif
, as everything else sounds "Dull" now as to Soulless.

I do too. I've been running it since Tuesday last week, and it sounded even better last night. My problem with it is that while it sounds really pleasant and comfortable, I do know that it is definitely inaccurate, as really bad recordings sound tolerable with this setup. Odd dilemma, I know, but I would like something more neutral, as this may tend to overcook already balanced, warm recordings.

But no fatigue is right, even with the K701s playing rock.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,550 of 3,573
I have been following this thread from the beginning so I thought I would chime in.

My new E1 Muses also does not have the gain switch. After having a look at the updates on this thread I thought I should check - been too busy enjoying the sound. I too will be interested in what Asus says here and will also follow up with my retailer.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,551 of 3,573
Quote:
I do too. I've been running it since Tuesday last week, and it sounded even better last night. My problem with it is that while it sounds really pleasant and comfortable, I do know that it is definitely inaccurate, as really bad recordings sound tolerable with this setup. Odd dilemma, I know, but I would like something more neutral, as this may tend to overcook already balanced, warm recordings.

But no fatigue is right, even with the K701s playing rock.

That is why I decided to get the Audio-gd Compass 2 (or the NFB-27 if Asus reimbursed me) with Sabre ESS9018, which is known for its neutral and revealing signature.
To be honest, we need to enjoy music, as we are not a Studio recording or something, as long we have something that makes me smile for hours.
If this setup was open/clear and revealing , I would tell you , the HD800 will sound really bad with this setup, and most of who owns the HD800, loves how it sounds with it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,552 of 3,573
Quote:
I have been following this thread from the beginning so I thought I would chime in.

My new E1 Muses also does not have the gain switch. After having a look at the updates on this thread I thought I should check - been too busy enjoying the sound. I too will be interested in what Asus says here and will also follow up with my retailer.

Thank you for sharing, and always its nice to hear/read from what new members have to say.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,553 of 3,573
Quote:

Welcome to the forums upside!
Enjoy your music, because thats why we're all here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,554 of 3,573
Quote:
Thank you for sharing, and always its nice to hear/read from what new members have to say.

Thank you turokrocks for posting the updated information and pictures of your E1 Muses. Unless I'd seen your pictures I might not have opened my E1 Muses to confirm what Asus said should be there.

I also own the original version of the E1 that I recently upgraded to a Plus version and can say every step up in op-amps has been very worthwhile. Sometimes it's just nice to forget about the gear and enjoy the music.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #1,555 of 3,573
I know exactly what you mean about enjoying the sound, its so enjoyable, and never felt like this before, as from the moment I put my HE-500, I never feel the urge to remove them to get a break, even after long play, it just takes you to another dimension of "Enjoyable Music dimension".
My Friend who is all about vinyl, was totally surprised when he listened to it. He said that with all the LEDs , buttons and chips, it still does not sound "Digital" and even its not "Truly  warm " as a tube amp, but its a combination between vinyl+CD, and he is truly thinking about getting one (and that says something)

The details are there but not over exaggerated, as to hurt your ears. Guys lets be honest, you want something that revealing that makes your ears hurt or just "To live the moment".

Asus you made a wonderful DAC/amp, a very enjoyable one, thank you

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #1,557 of 3,573
Agree fully with everything that Turok has said.

It has the benefits of Vinyl & CD.
It reveals the detail of music, yet doesn't overly embellish it.
Has a warm rounded sound, but not over the top unlike some tube amps that i've used, which i very much like. (LYR stock, i did not like)

This DAC was what made me sell my NuForce HDP, it just literally smacks it hard in the face.
I love my MUSE01 & 49710HA combo as they are much less cold sounding than the LM4562.
Would be the perfect all in one if these things were resolved/possible
  1. tsst (ssss) sound on certain songs when using various op-amps (OPA627, LME49720NA, LME49720HA, LME49710HA, OPA2132, AD797BRZ, OPA2111AM) [Minor with LM4562 & MUSES01] - Doesn't happen on NuForce HDP, it rolls off that high sharp "tsst".
  2. Gain Switch not found
  3. Firmware MCU Frimware Update Issues
  4. ASUS should sell the MUSES01's as an upgrade kit
  5. Stock LED color may not appeal to everyone (please add more choices) baby blue is for girls.
  6. Cheap Plastic Buttons

Other issues like wrong power cord or tards forgetting to switch to the right voltage input can be resolved with a cheap cord or fuse.
The Essence One takes two 250V 1A fuses.

Those are just some of my quick thoughts.

Tim

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,558 of 3,573
Quote:
Agree fully with everything that Turok has said.

It has the benefits of Vinyl & CD.
It reveals the detail of music, yet doesn't overly embellish it.
Has a warm rounded sound, but not over the top unlike some tube amps that i've used, which i very much like. (LYR stock, i did not like)

This DAC was what made me sell my NuForce HDP, it just literally smacks it hard in the face.
I love my MUSE01 & 49710HA combo as they sound much less cold sounding than the LM4562.
Would be the perfect all in one if these things were resolved/possible
  1. tsst (ssss) sound on certain songs when using various op-amps (OPA627, LME49720NA, LME49720HA, LME49710HA, OPA2132, AD797BRZ, OPA2111AM) [Minor with LM4562 & MUSES01] - Doesn't happen on NuForce HDP, it rolls off that high sharp "tsst".
  2. Gain Switch not found
  3. Firmware MCU Frimware Update Issues
  4. ASUS should sell the MUSES01's as an upgrade kit
  5. Stock LED color may not appeal to everyone (please add more choices) baby blue is for girls.
  6. Cheap Plastic Buttons

Other issues like wrong power cord or tards forgetting to switch to the right voltage input can be resolved with a cheap cord or fuse.
The Essence One takes two 250V 1A fuses.

Those are just some of my quick thoughts.

Tim

Agree to everything you guys have mentioned above.

About your "sss" sibilance problem on certain songs. I highly recommend trying out the LME49990's. Even though they tend to get quite hot, I always find myself comming back to them, they simply seem to soothe all the the harsh/aggressive treble for most of my recordings. I use them on the I/V section of the E1.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,559 of 3,573
Quote:

Agree to everything you guys have mentioned above.

About your "sss" sibilance problem on certain songs. I highly recommend trying out the LME49990's. Even though they tend to get quite hot, I always find myself comming back to them, they simply seem to soothe all the the harsh/aggressive treble for most of my recordings. I use them on the I/V section of the E1.

Sorry, at best i was substitute them into buffer only, but i doubt they'll be stable there.

I'm keeping muses01 in I/V and LFP. Never taking them out, as i don't $50 $59 op-amps to go to waste.

I'll try the LME49990 in buffer to see if it does any smoothing there.

Thanks.

Tim

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,560 of 3,573
Quote:
I'm keeping muses01 in I/V and LFP. Never taking them out, as i don't $50 $59 op-amps to go to waste.

Sure, that makes sense. Just wanted to let you know, what other options you might have to eventually solve your problem with the [sss].
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back