Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,531 of 3,573
Been tinkering with the E1 here, and I've run into my first issue.  For whatever reason, the FWUpdateEndUser.exe program refuses to start, and I can't update the firmware.  Killing the process in Task Manager does -nothing-, mandating a reboot to give myself another shot at things.  Following the PDF guide to install their C-Media drivers over the USB Composite device did absolutely nothing either, and compatibility mode is rubbish as well!

Running up-to-date W7 x64. Checking event viewer now, but any ideas in the interim?  I recall reading about a USB selector mode that tells the E1 to operate at USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 for audio, but I can't find it again for the life of me, and I'm wondering if that may help matters.

FWIW, I did get the MCU upgraded.  Now I just need the Firmware done.
Did you check the log of your security software? Try to disable or exit those security software on your computer and try again. Also use an USB 2.0 not 3.0 port or another 2.0 port. Hope this works for you.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,532 of 3,573
Quote:
Did you check the log of your security software? Try to disable or exit those security software on your computer and try again. Also use an USB 2.0 not 3.0 port or another 2.0 port. Hope this works for you.

No USB 3.0 ports
Software doesn't close, even taskkill and process explorer can't kill the process. A reboot is required to try again.
Security/AV software wasn't causing an issue.

The issue was (apparently) my Dell U2410 Monitor (first revision).  When I unplugged it from the same USB host controller as my ASUS E1, it magically was able to update the firmware just fine.  I still get crackle and pop on a 24/176.2 file though, so I'm still trying to hunt down that alleged USB 1.1/USB 2.0 switch to see if that can fix it.

In the interim, now that it's updated? It's making my HD 800s sing. Listening to Electronica and Pop brings out that full bodied sound I was missing on the Fiio E9/E17.  Oh bass, how I missed thee.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #1,534 of 3,573
Another GREAT review that states that the jumper do exist, but did they check it?
http://soundnews.ro/2013/02/13/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition-review-english-version/

Anybody can spot any difference? other than the pcb being black?

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,535 of 3,573
Quote:
Another review that states that the jumper do exist, but did they check it?
http://soundnews.ro/2013/02/13/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition-review-english-version/

Anybody can spot any difference? other than the pcb being black?

That sucks man I was considering selling my standard edition for the muses, mainly for that gain switch because my TH900s are so efficient 9 oclock is max for me. so after your experience I think I will go for another dac unfortunately, plus I need true balanced xlr out

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,536 of 3,573
Quote:
That sucks man I was considering selling my standard edition for the muses, mainly for that gain switch because my TH900s are so efficient 9 oclock is max for me. so after your experience I think I will go for another dac unfortunately, plus I need true balanced xlr out

Yep, big time.
The only reason I got this (other than the Muses) is this switch.
I really feel let down by ASUS, and it sucks when you pay premium, but Asus will fix this in the best/most appropriate matter, as we are not talking about a small company, but one of the biggest and best companies in PC hardware, with lots of innovation.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,537 of 3,573
Quote:
Yep, big time.
The only reason I got this (other than the Muses) is this switch.
I really feel let down by ASUS, and it sucks when you pay premium, but Asus will fix this is the best/most appropriate matter, as we are not talking about a small company, but one of the biggest and best companies in PC hardware, with lots of innovation.

Absolutely man, I've always been a big fan of asus, however my 6 month old rog rampage 4 motherboard died 3 weeks ago and they have not replaced it yet, and now your story, hmm not such a big fan after all
confused_face_2.gif

PS: are you sure their muses..........Jokes :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,538 of 3,573
Actually I'm not jumping to any conclusions but who did you buy the muses edition through, and has asus ask you for the S/N?

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,539 of 3,573
Quote:
Actually I'm not jumping to any conclusions but who did you buy the muses edition through, and has asus ask you for the S/N?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181071415528?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are closed for CNY until the 17th of this month.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #1,540 of 3,573
Quote:

According to asus the xlr outputs on the one are true balanced.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,542 of 3,573
I also heard from ASUS that the XLR are fully balanced.

Tim

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,543 of 3,573
Another review:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,545 of 3,573
Quote:
my new base version E1's pcb is also black in color.... which makes it no diff from yours...
redface.gif

...and the Muses do not make that big difference, so your OK....
biggrin.gif

P.S: I can confirm that the sound is getting better, and I can assure you guys, that this DAC/amp is one one the most comfortable I ever used, no fatigue what so ever even after hours of listing.

I am loving it more and more.....and I don't know how I will  bare shipping it back...
frown.gif
, as everything else sounds "Dull" now as to Soulless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back