Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,156 of 3,573
How do you get the E1 working with Windows 8? ASUS said they support it ( https://plus.google.com/+ASUS/posts/BCKUeYLtMD5 ), but when I try to install the driver, it tells me my OS is not supported.

Plus the driver-download on the website seems to be broken: http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One/#support_Download

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,157 of 3,573
So I heard the noise today first time since I started using the stock USB cable. 

I am thinking about going with an optical cable out of the STX any cons of doing this? Sound should be the same since its digital correct?

& the virtual surround is definitely doing something, I need to find a good test but the sound does seem a lot more positional.

edit: So it hasnt happened yet, but I think the problem was with using USB and having so many PCI-E devices capable of sound, even though I disabled them all and it still happen.

essence stx
essence hdav 1.3+H6
avermedia gamebroadcaster HD

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,159 of 3,573
Quote:
How do you get the E1 working with Windows 8? ASUS said they support it ( https://plus.google.com/+ASUS/posts/BCKUeYLtMD5 ), but when I try to install the driver, it tells me my OS is not supported.

Plus the driver-download on the website seems to be broken: http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One/#support_Download

The ASUS site has just gone a face-lift, please bear with us, we'll get that sorted out asap. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #1,160 of 3,573
Quote:

The ASUS site has just gone a face-lift, please bear with us, we'll get that sorted out asap. 

I have been trying to buy the muses edition from an online store that ships internationally (outside US) since more than 3 weeks, and in vain!!!
mad.gif

I appreciate your help in this matter....
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #1,161 of 3,573
Quote:
I have been trying to buy the muses edition from an online store that ships internationally (outside US) since more than 3 weeks, and in vain!!!
mad.gif

frown.gif

As far as I know, excaliberpc.com is the only site that has it in stock and ships internationally. I've ordered there and the wire transfer took about 5 days to confirm, after that the shipping was superquick with FedEx, took about 4 days to get to my place from the US. You might want to check back with them though since the availability now says "Please Call".

Also, be careful, if you ship to Europe you have to pay EU taxes+duty for the import to Fedex which would be about 200€, so you might be better off buying the standard E1 and getting the MUSES separately, or just wait for a proper EU release.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,162 of 3,573
Quote:
mad.gif

frown.gif

Each region is working on it. The distribution channel varies from region to region, so it's taking time. There should be units on sale in the EU soon. This Xonar account is handled by HQ and North America, we have relayed your posts to the other regions and will try and update here when we know more.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,163 of 3,573
Quote:
evil_smiley.gif
 I'm afraid that my Essence One won't make it out of this surgery. (soldering process)

About to give it a test.

And....IT WORKS!

Noticed some very very good changes in detail, separation, and transparency instantly. Treble was slightly higher (barely), and bass was a little cleaner.

Can't wait to add the new WIMA capacitors, aluminum heatsinks, power cord, pci-express cord, and LME49710HA's to be installed..
Along upgrading the black cable underneath the Essence PCB and changing all 3mm LED's (including smd) to red/dark red.

Tim

Nice mod so far, so it does improves the sound if you change the capacitors.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,164 of 3,573
Quote:

Each region is working on it. The distribution channel varies from region to region, so it's taking time. There should be units on sale in the EU soon. This Xonar account is handled by HQ and North America, we have relayed your posts to the other regions and will try and update here when we know more.

As you said, out of stock , and I prefer to pay with paypal as to have my back covered.
Quote:

As far as I know, excaliberpc.com is the only site that has it in stock and ships internationally. I've ordered there and the wire transfer took about 5 days to confirm, after that the shipping was superquick with FedEx, took about 4 days to get to my place from the US. You might want to check back with them though since the availability now says "Please Call".

Also, be careful, if you ship to Europe you have to pay EU taxes+duty for the import to Fedex which would be about , so you might be better off buying the standard E1 and getting the MUSES separately, or just wait for a proper EU release.

Thank you, will be waiting for your update.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,165 of 3,573
Quote:
As you said, out of stock , and I prefer to pay with paypal as to have my back covered.
Thank you, will be waiting for your update.

Contact ASUS support in your region. You can use Google with the country name to find a contact endpoint. Send an email to that address and they should be able to update you on availability in your region. I cover NA and can't do much to expedite outside what i've told you.

This rather long URL shows a few more NA outlets:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3263918897753903010?hl=en&q=xonar+essence+one+muses+edition&oq=xonar+essence+one+mus&gs_l=products-cc.3.0.0j0i5.2783.5719.0.6495.21.21.0.0.0.0.115.1403.19j2.21.0...0.0...1ac.1.5KoZzsYRCUY&sa=X&ei=hV_3UJ6wNcXXkAWO3oHgDQ&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAA

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,166 of 3,573
Is there any (dis)advantage in using the S/PDIF-out from my mainboard instead of the USB out?
Obviously I want the E1 to do the work, not my crappy onboard soundcard, so I'm not sure if using the SPDIF-out would interfere with the signal in any way.

funny sidenote:
My E1 MUSES Edition had an Audio Test Report for the standard E1 from 2011 + another one from 8/2012 for the Muses Op-amps, I guess they just swapped them in later on.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,168 of 3,573
Hello,

I was wondering if the stock wima caps could be replaced with these.

Help will be appreciated.

Tim

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,170 of 3,573
These caps were free from TAW so i might as well, otherwise they would just be laying there calling out my name.

Changing out parts is always fun (if they end up working).

There are two FKS2 (8200pF|0.022uF) and two FKP2 (2200pF|1800p[F) embedded in the Essence One.

FKP2 (Polypropylene) regarded as being one of the best film capacitors, should be an improvement specification wise when replacing the stock FKS2.
For audio pathway, i hear having lower tolerance would be a benefactor, thus all the caps would be replaced with FKP2 2.5% Tolerance

Since this being a thread on the Essence One, perhaps it may help other individuals who also have some free time on their hands.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back