Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #481 of 3,573
this is my Essence One with modded op-amps (2x49710HA / 49720HA's)

to answer someone's question earlier, my Essence One also exhibit the "wiggle/flop" issue, as I took a look inside, I noticed that the plastic connection between the power button and the switch inside has been snapped off, its seems like this could easily happen during shipping, or just from regular use, since the plastic holding the two parts together is very very fragile, a slight twist in power-switch could have snapped it right off. definitely a huge oversight on ASUS' part

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #482 of 3,573

Quote:

[size=12pt]So long as you don't get any jitter which the E1 doesn't, USB output is 100% perfect. It is only very poor USB audio equipment that would benefit from a SPDIF converter, not the E1. Most of those articles you read saying SPDIF is "better" than USB are ancient and used inferior equipment. I'd wager starting with USB at the PC and then changing to SPDIF midway with some piece of electronics mid-stream would make the sound worse. [/size]

I'm not saying that an SPDIF converter will be beneficial to the Essence One, but ANY digital system will have jitter.  Numerous (quite high end ~$1000+) DAC's that implement USB-->I2S-->DAC can be improved with an external SPDIF or I2S converter (the latter being technically superior in most cases) for various reasons from the various electrical components used, to the power supply setup, to the drivers, internal and external buffer etc.  Asynch does not guarantee superiority over adaptive, and does not guarantee equal performance to other asynch setups.  One thing for sure though is that any external USB-->SPDIF is surely overkill with the Essence One and not guaranteed improvement.  USB from the Essence One though will surely be better than SPDIF from onboard though.

For those looking to buy one, they cost around $400 in Australia: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18862&cPath=211&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=export_feed#googlebase

Don't be fooled that this is the only unit available at this cost tier though - if you are spending ~$600 and ONLY need a DAC with SE outputs the JK DAC should do very well.  For $250 the Emotiva XDA-1 is a crazy deal also and has balanced output and headamp (but you might need a soldering iron to change opamps).  If you are after something a bit smoother/ less dry, Audio-GD offer some excellent products with plenty of power for headphones (but no opamp rolling here)

I can't say any of these will be better or worse than the Essence One as I haven't directly compared any of these, but some of them will be more suitable for certain headphones (but probably not opamp rolling freindly)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many dedicated reviewers looking at the Essence One so it is hard to say how it stands against the competition, but Leeperry's comment on the soundstage sounds promising.  On that, how does it compare to your Stello Eximus DP-1?
bigsmile_face.gif

Getting back to my main point - USB on the Essence One is 100% certifiably guaranteed to have SOME intrinsic and random jitter which may or may not be better or worse than an external SPDIF solution.  Secondly jitter is not a universal evil just the same as distortion is not universally evil.  Less jitter will allow more detail through, but other technically inferior solutions may sound smoother, more present, richer etc.  To say the One has no jitter is 100% technically incorrect, esp without any measurements of the digital output of the USB implementation - it could be better or worse than a good external SPDIF converter.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #483 of 3,573

Quote:
ASIO is designed for music production and prioritizes low latency over anything else.
You'd need low latency only to play back audio data generated in real time in resonse to some events; this does not apply to playback of music files.

If the driver chooses to resample with the normal interface and to avoid resampling when using ASIO, that's the driver's fault.

However, IIRC Windows XP does resample automatically, and using an ASIO driver would be a way to bypass this.

Thank you for clarifying

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #484 of 3,573
Take a look of the links:
http://www.soomal.com/doc/20100002604.htm
review will be posted on 12/31/2011.
http://tw.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_One/

This is the review posted today.
http://www.soomal.com/doc/20100002648.htm

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #486 of 3,573
It's a TEAC, is it related to Essence One? are those links all your article?
Not quite sure of the point of those links.

But still thanks for sharing.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #488 of 3,573
I spent the last few hours building new opamps modules for testing and decided on building some ADA4627-1, AD797B, LME49990MA, AD8599, AD8620, LME49720HA, LME 49710HA Module.
I also have some nice discrete units I want to check out with this unit.
It should be a great weekend of listening tests.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #489 of 3,573

Quote:
I spent the last few hours building new opamps modules for testing and decided on building some ADA4627-1, AD797B, LME49990MA, AD8599, AD8620, LME49720HA, LME 49710HA Module.
I also have some nice discrete units I want to check out with this unit.
It should be a great weekend of listening tests.

Let us know when your review on Guru3D is out :).

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #492 of 3,573
Do yourself a favor and DOUBLE CHECK any opamps you buy on adapters.  I ordered a pair from China and one was one wrong - it blew my headphone and killed my Essence STX.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #493 of 3,573

Quote:
Im not that great at soldering, so I need to by modded op amps, from the pics (to those that have them),  will these fit on the essence one?

Yeah, they look like they would work fine based on the picture.
make sure you get the BR modules as many prefer these over the AR modules.
So look for AD797BR or BRZ....they both will sound the same.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #494 of 3,573
A shout out to all you essence one users and happy rollers!
It would be incredible if anyone who now tries opamps on the E one has heard the new burson 160DS, and is able to post some impressions on that compared to the modded E one.
Burson 160D is fine too, but i do not think any opamp placed in the E one will bring it close to the 160D...
Or should i just stop dreaming right now and save up for the 160DS?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #495 of 3,573
160 DS is OK but not the be all and end all some might make it out to be.  Personally I find the bass too warm and bloomy with LCD-2.  Midrange and treble were quite refined though.

The Burson does however have a better volume control than the E one.  You will probably have more fun rolling opamps in the E one though.

Burson resale is also good.  Personally I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the E one though.

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who owns both - maybe a meet might be a good chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back