Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Nov 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #271 of 3,573

Quote:
[/] Essence One makes other devices for similar price look silly.

You might be right about that, I hope you are!! It's just I need someone impartial to tell me what 11 opamps and 384kHz upsampling sounds like.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #273 of 3,573
Hey Guys,

While I know everyone is still waiting for the release of the One, but I was wondering if any reviewers could comment about the RCA outputs.  Specifically, according to some, the ST/STX seems to have a fairly cheap output, similar to those in low end stand alone CDP's, and a resistor that reduces sound quality.  Has the output stage been improved from an electrical and listener's perspective on the One?

Also, I know that the RCA output is volume controlled but if we want to use it as a line out can we bypass the volume control to preserve optimal sound quality or do we have to set it at maximum?

Hopefully, they clear up the USB issue soon, because the DAC stage looks excellent for the money.  Does anybody remember how much a dual mono DAC or thus equipped CDP was going for 5 years ago?  Hopefully, with this DAC, it means it is no longer necessary to spend so much on the digital source (I know a big call!) so a greater portion can be spent on other system components (or saved!) !!!

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #274 of 3,573
Hi all,

I'm from Taiwan and this is my first post here. I just learned there's such site from my friends.

Anyways, I'm here just tell everyone that Xonar Essence One has indeed started selling in Taiwan now.
So far the impression is that the sound quality is quite impressively good.

Just be patient, I believe it's coming to other regions soon.

Some has posted lengthy discussions in the forums, such as: 
http://www.pcdvd.com.tw/showthread.php?t=946352

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #275 of 3,573

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm from Taiwan and this is my first post here. I just learned there's such site from my friends.

Anyways, I'm here just tell everyone that Xonar Essence One has indeed started selling in Taiwan now.
So far the impression is that the sound quality is quite impressively good.

Just be patient, I believe it's coming to other regions soon.

Some has posted lengthy discussions in the forums, such as: 
http://www.pcdvd.com.tw/showthread.php?t=946352

Sweet, finally.   What is the price compared to other soundcard from Asus? 

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #276 of 3,573
Nice update mate, and welcome to head-fi!

I've also found a new review, share with you guys, from Singapore I guess

http://wwenze.blogspot.com/2011/10/asus-xonar-essence-one.html

Verdict

The price of $699 may seem steep compared to the STX, but the chassis, power supply and control circuitry of an external product easily costs a good fraction of a complete product. Add the SPDIF inputs and digital volume controls, and the Essence One isn't really that expensive compared to the STX, and for the extra money you get a pair of expensive PCM1795 and some form of upsampling, courtesy of the DSP. And lets not forget the Essence One only seems expensive compared to the STX because the STX is super-cheap compared to everything else.

It is hard to give a verdict on something that does not have an alternative for its price. It is very easy to give a verdict when its alternatives are a few times more expensive. The measurements already justify the price, and if you are a believer of measurements and/or ASUS, wants an external DAC and has SGD$700, what are you waiting for. Do consider the STX if you are cash-strapped, but in audio it costs a lot more just for that extra bit of performance, and especially if that performance is the best.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #277 of 3,573

Quote:

Verdict

The price of $699 may seem steep compared to the STX, but the chassis, power supply and control circuitry of an external product easily costs a good fraction of a complete product. Add the SPDIF inputs and digital volume controls, and the Essence One isn't really that expensive compared to the STX, and for the extra money you get a pair of expensive PCM1795 and some form of upsampling, courtesy of the DSP. And lets not forget the Essence One only seems expensive compared to the STX because the STX is super-cheap compared to everything else.

It is hard to give a verdict on something that does not have an alternative for its price. It is very easy to give a verdict when its alternatives are a few times more expensive. The measurements already justify the price, and if you are a believer of measurements and/or ASUS, wants an external DAC and has SGD$700, what are you waiting for. Do consider the STX if you are cash-strapped, but in audio it costs a lot more just for that extra bit of performance, and especially if that performance is the best.

I dont think 699 is too much this if performance is as good as it apparently is.
And you're right about STX, its a bargain of century for $200 considering how good it is.  Its DAC section easily beats any stand-alone DAC for $200 and its headphone amp easily beats any stand-alone amp for $200.  Plus, you get excellent software and drivers, great support, proven reliability and the card itself looks and feels very expensive.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #278 of 3,573
Anything more than 399 is  junk. I really only want 32 bit  DAC not Headphone amp.  Why can't people just make external DAC circuit using sabre 32 bit chip. Why all these amp crap. Everyone have external amp.

I want something to replace my azuntech prelude sound card. anyone can advise me 192khz USB input DAC , no headphone amp.

Anyone used musicland 03?.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #279 of 3,573

Quote:

I dont think 699 is too much this if performance is as good as it apparently is.
And you're right about STX, its a bargain of century for $200 considering how good it is.  Its DAC section easily beats any stand-alone DAC for $200 and its headphone amp easily beats any stand-alone amp for $200.  Plus, you get excellent software and drivers, great support, proven reliability and the card itself looks and feels very expensive.

Aren't those Singapore dollars? It should cost significantly less in USD.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #280 of 3,573

Quote:

Verdict

wow this guy done a really  in depth review. The guy that unknowingly introduced me to audio years ago.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #281 of 3,573
I found a french review of the essence one:

http://www.homemedia.fr/tests-guides/216-Asus-Essence-One-DAC-externe-0.html

But there's a strange thing: when the upsampling mode is activated, the frequency response cuts at 16 or 17 Khz instead of 20 Khz
without upsampling...

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #282 of 3,573

Quote:
Anything more than 399 is  junk. I really only want 32 bit  DAC not Headphone amp.  Why can't people just make external DAC circuit using sabre 32 bit chip. Why all these amp crap. Everyone have external amp.

I want something to replace my azuntech prelude sound card. anyone can advise me 192khz USB input DAC , no headphone amp.

Anyone used musicland 03?.

There is no advantage to a 32 bit DAC, it's all marketing. No 32 bit DAC exceeds 24 bit true resolution, in fact they still haven't even reached the limitation of 24 bit audio though the Sabre DAC come close at about 22 bit resolution but then again so does the Burr Brown  PCM1792A in mono mode & it is a 24 bit DAC. With the Burr brown chip it is easier for the manufacturer or in some cases the consummer to configure the sound signature compared to the Sabre DAC.

There is nothing in the $399 range that will exceed the specs of 24 bit audio even with a 32 bit DAC & probably never will be. It will take a massive amount of money & even better 32 bit DAC's to exceed 24 bit resolution & all of that will be for naught because the human ear won't be able to hear it anyway, it can't even hear the limits of 24 bit. The honest truth is that even if they did come up with a DAC that could exceed 24 bit resolution we are already bumping the limits of analog audio as the thermal noise of resistors (a passive componant) does not allow with current technology to exceed 24 bit resolution.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #283 of 3,573
Quote:
I found a french review of the essence one:

http://www.homemedia.fr/tests-guides/216-Asus-Essence-One-DAC-externe-0.html

But there's a strange thing: when the upsampling mode is activated, the frequency response cuts at 16 or 17 Khz instead of 20 Khz
without upsampling...

I'm far from imppressed when I see the measurements of the Essence One, I would have expected it to perform at least on the same level as the other Xonar card.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #284 of 3,573
Just ordered an Asus Essence One / Asus Xonar Essence One from xPCgear.com.

Google Shopping:

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Xonar+Essence+One#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=%22Xonar+Essence+One%22&pbx=1&oq=%22Xonar+Essence+One%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=6703l7728l1l7955l2l2l0l0l0l0l609l609l5-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=440ca46a84aed8f3&biw=1331&bih=690

Update:

xPCgear.com just informed me that this is actually a pre-order item, they have not received a release date from Asus, and they will update their site to mention that it is pre-order "later this afternoon." Hmm.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #285 of 3,573
Ooh~ 5% discount if order now! No "Pre-Order" language though... Please do post "Estimated ship date" when you get one! >.<

Quote:
Just ordered an Asus Essence One / Asus Xonar Essence One from xPCgear.com.

Google Shopping:

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Xonar+Essence+One#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=%22Xonar+Essence+One%22&pbx=1&oq=%22Xonar+Essence+One%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=6703l7728l1l7955l2l2l0l0l0l0l609l609l5-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=440ca46a84aed8f3&biw=1331&bih=690

Update:

xPCgear.com just informed me that this is actually a pre-order item, they have not received a release date from Asus, and they will update their site to mention that it is pre-order "later this afternoon." Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back