Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Sep 2, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #136 of 3,573

Quote:
Just read the review. Thanks for that and I'm also looking forward to your English review. 

So in a nut shell, (correct me if I'm wrong) your opinion is that its noticeably better than STX, but seems to lack detail at higher frequencies? Also sound gets distorted at very high volumes with HD800 and LCD-2? Any other major issues?

And In your opinion, for someone who owns STX...is it worthwhile to upgrade to Essence One?

Thanks guys for kind words, will be ready in this weekend in English too.

Shortly, I really loved the device. When I received it, I was like "meh" another DAC/Amp in the 400 Euro area, but when I've listened to the thing I was completely enveloped in the music. The headphone volume pot of the device for LCD-2 for jazz music I use at 12 oclock, and 11 ocklock for rock, with HD800 is even lower, so no worries here, it can driver absolutely everything (except K1000 and HE-6 of course) I does clip and distort a bit at maximum volume, but who ever will listen to ear shattering levels ?
In comparison  STX is brighter, Essence One is a lot smoother and bassier, also more detailed even if highs are little recessed.

@khaos974
What do you mean by AP test report?
We send back the device to the manufacturer, If you mean some other photos from the package, we cannot have them as we sent it back already.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #138 of 3,573
What do you mean by AP test report?
We send back the device to the manufacturer, If you mean some other photos from the package, we cannot have them as we sent it back already.

This is the list accessories that are suppose to be included in the box
USB cable (‘B-A’ type) *1

Power cord *1 (Some versions may have 2 power cords for different countries)

6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptor *1

User manual *1

Audio Precision (AP) test report *1

Installation driver CD *1

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news/asus-launches-xonar-essence-one-with-headphone-amplifier/

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #139 of 3,573

Quote:
This is the list accessories that are suppose to be included in the box Quote:
USB cable (‘B-A’ type) *1

Power cord *1 (Some versions may have 2 power cords for different countries)

6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptor *1

User manual *1

Audio Precision (AP) test report *1

Installation driver CD *1

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news/asus-launches-xonar-essence-one-with-headphone-amplifier/

We don't have any more photos, and everything was sent back, so not for now :frowning2:

STX powering at full potential the HE-6? Funny joke :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #142 of 3,573
DarKu - just read your review (using google translate) and the XE1 sounds like it could be a nice piece of kit. Glad it was reviewed against Burson's HA-160D as this is the dac/amp I'd love to own.  Be interesting to see how it compares to the likes of NuForce's Icon HDP or even the Benchmark Dac1 USB.

Just wondering what the Essence One would sound like fitted with Burson HD Audio Opamps!?

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #144 of 3,573
Hmm having read that Romanian review, what is you guys' take : worth every cent of asking price or....

It remains to be seen what the final US retail pricing is. If they can do 300-400 range it may be a very good deal. For a big computer company like ASUS its a huge gamble to put out a niche Audiophile product like this. Let's face it, average mainstream consumer will not be lining up in Best Buy to get this thing and it remains to be seen if hardcore audiophiles will be swayed by something that has an "ASUS" label on it. So they are really targeting Audiophiles that want to build a mid-level headphone rig. I would wait for more reviews to roll in before rendering final verdict... though I suspect many intitial reviews will be super positive. I bet many will claim that it outperforms any high-end system they have heard... especially if ASUS is making an emphasis on BASS.

As for me, I'm considering getting either Essence One or Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo. And to be honest, I'd rather have one cheap black box on my table than 2 expensive silver ones.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #145 of 3,573
Ya prudent stand would be to await more in depth reviews but from what i understand 

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/asus-launches-xonar-essence-one-for-audio-enthusiasts_580585.html

Quote:
ASUS has priced the Essence One at Rs. 21,000 and the product is being sold locally with a warranty of one year.

So early estimations point @ USD $455

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #146 of 3,573
Thanks for the review DarKu.  I would be interested in knowing how the DAC of the Asus compares with that of the Burson.  

In addition, if I buy the Asus, i'd like it to be at least equal in sound quality to my musical fidelity A3.5 CD, which has a 24 bit 96 kHz DAC.  I think it is very similar in spec to the older x ray v3 cd player and of lower quality than the x dac v3 (however, my 3.5 CDP does has a toroidal PSU).

Thanks!!!

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #147 of 3,573

Well, not really. I use an Essence ST + H6 in my HTPC build...
But sometimes I want to switch to digital-out for my AVR/Separates.
If this had digital-out & multi-ch analog-out, I'd mount it inside my HTPC.*
T'would be a nice replacement for my Essence ST + H6, no more PCI slots used.
I hope they release a revised Essence ST/X that integrates a H6, & maybe a multi-ch amp.
The latter's not a big deal, as I generally prefer using separate amp/s.

*case is a Silverstone CW02B

Anyone reckon Asus will release a revised ST/X soon with the above characteristics?
I'd prefer PCIe-based, but I don't care if it becomes external/USB-based.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #150 of 3,573
Ok guys, the English review is DONE
wink_face.gif
, sorry for the delay: http://soundnews.ro/2011/09/09/asus-xonar-essence-one-review-english-version/
Hope you like it.
Shortly, i'll be getting one as soon as it hits the marked, as a secondary rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back