Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,121 of 3,573
  Does anyone know how to remove the front panel from the Xonar One? I've removed all visible screws but cannot get it off of the volume knobs.

The main reason I need to remove it is to see if I can reseat the volume knobs after turning them too much. They now just turn over and over without stopping (and are left at MAX volume always)

You got a similar problem as mine. Wanted to take the front panel off, and I thought the only way volume knobs would come off is if i turn them past their stop and just unscrew them. But now they just turn over and over without stopping, and I have my volume permanently at 0.

You just have to pull the knob straight out though, its hard to get it out since there is no grip at all.
But once you get it off, you'll see hex nut screwed on the shaft, just gotta unscrew those and you'll be able to get the panel off.

As for the volume pot, you will have to replace and solder new one in.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3,122 of 3,573

You got a similar problem as mine. Wanted to take the front panel off, and I thought the only way volume knobs would come off is if i turn them past their stop and just unscrew them. But now they just turn over and over without stopping, and I have my volume permanently at 0.

You just have to pull the knob straight out though, its hard to get it out since there is no grip at all.
But once you get it off, you'll see hex nut screwed on the shaft, just gotta unscrew those and you'll be able to get the panel off.

As for the volume pot, you will have to replace and solder new one in.

Sheesh, well thanks for the headsup. I have the E1 MUSES, so guess I'll continue going DACless while I wait for the Essence III to sell stateside then use my MUSES opamps in that. If you have luck with those A10s please post back letting us know; I can probably manage it but am not a soldering guru per se.

I kinda broke my pots on purpose out of frustration over the channel imbalance that kept happening OVER AND OVER these past couple weeks. If I had known it was the pot itself that was bad, I probably would've left it alone, but DACless balance >>>>> DAC that keeps deciding to play a song too far left or right mid-playback! Grrrrr...

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,124 of 3,573
  As far as I know the original potentiometer is the alpha rd904 b10k. It has a 6mm shaft. You can buy these here for example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALPHA-RD904-B10K-quadruple-potentiometer-20-mm-half-axial-length/1482759719.html

Bought four of these from the linked seller and will report back after soldering. Was originally going to wait for Essence III to start selling stateside, but I have a feeling that may not happen very soon (if at all). There's a guy on eBay selling some from Germany, but the fact that he's charging $150+ more than MSRP (plus $50 shipping) and my chances of RMA are slim because I'm purchasing from some foreign reseller have me gunshy, at least until I see if these replacement pots work -_-

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3,126 of 3,573
Bought a used Essence one a few days ago, and - while satisfied - would like to upgrade the op amps to MUSES edition or, to find an even better match.
Just ordered 4 MUSES 01 for I/V replacing, but now I wonder which ones to take for the Low pass filter?
DSD upgrade manual suggests, beside MUSES 02, the AD827SQ - and I wonder has anyone made such a combination?
Another option for the Low pass are LME49990MA (two of them on SOIC DIP as can be bought on ebay or similar)

I also wonder could it be possible to drive the AMP from Essence One (RCA or XLR) without anything in the buffer stage? Or how could I try to find fine op amps for the buffer stage with less gain than the stock ones?
Namely, my amp (balanced) has high gain, so the pot is about 10 o'clock at normal listening levels...
Anyone with same gain problems?

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #3,127 of 3,573
  Bought a used Essence one a few days ago, and - while satisfied - would like to upgrade the op amps to MUSES edition or, to find an even better match.
Just ordered 4 MUSES 01 for I/V replacing, but now I wonder which ones to take for the Low pass filter?
DSD upgrade manual suggests, beside MUSES 02, the AD827SQ - and I wonder has anyone made such a combination?
Another option for the Low pass are LME49990MA (two of them on SOIC DIP as can be bought on ebay or similar)

I also wonder could it be possible to drive the AMP from Essence One (RCA or XLR) without anything in the buffer stage? Or how could I try to find fine op amps for the buffer stage with less gain than the stock ones?
Namely, my amp (balanced) has high gain, so the pot is about 10 o'clock at normal listening levels...
Anyone with same gain problems?

Where did you order the 4 MUSES01 from, I'm trying to find a reputable seller.  I have 2 MUSES02 where the low pass filter is currently.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3,128 of 3,573
I've bought them on ebay. They might NOT be the original ones, but I believe in this seller.
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161085567268?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Once I have them, will report about the audio quality. Personally, I do believe in this seller, as some Chinese producers buy a big lot and sell some of the quantity to others...
Anyway, I've also purchased some AD827SQ and MUSES 02 and once everything is plugged in,
will be able to get the original Muses edition on listening test.

So the real ones will have to sound better than the chinese (if they are fake?). 
will report about this.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,132 of 3,573
Hi guys. Serious problem unsolved here : Can someone post a link to a replacement pot to solve the unbalance problem of the B10K ? 
As some others, this is draving me crazy ! 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALPHA-RD904-B10K-quadruple-potentiometer-20-mm-half-axial-length/1482759719.html

The A10K pot are only sold in lots of 1000 @ about 2.20 including shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back