Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,941 of 3,573
On the same screen where you changed bit depth from 16 to 24/32 try changing the latency. I used to have this issue. My sweet spot ended up being 20ms, YMMV.

Hey Sk1n5,

Thanks very much for the tip! I keep getting occasional BSODs and I can tell it's due to foobar and ASIO :frowning2: . Just yesterday I got a corrupted foobar theme file after the BSOD. Had to remake my layout and theme out of nothing (I think I got most of it right, but what a headache; it looked so good) and all the folders with my library were reset; I also had to re-add those.

I went ahead and tried what you said. Set ASIO latency to 20ms and even the spectrum visualizer is now running at a higher framerate! Like if I was using DirectSound (in the past, when using ASIO, it would slow down to like 15 fps). Changing the time position of the song still provokes delay and crackle same as before, though.

Just what the hell does ASIO latency do, though? Google search was unconclusive. If anyone can shine some light it would be very helpful.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,942 of 3,573
So im getting the upgrade bug on my dac/amp for my HD800. Focusing on the dac right now. Has anyone compared the dac on the E1 to high-end dacs $1000 & up? Wondering how much a difference it would be and if its worth the costs. I have heard the dac on the E1 is very good also. 

The Muses version has the same dac as the regular E1 correct? Only difference is the op-amps?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2,944 of 3,573
Ya Im going to buy where i can return with no charge. I have to hear it for myself, my curiosity is getting the best of me. Looking for one of the highest amp/dac combos that i can try out for 30 days and compare it to my E1 that has been amazing IMO.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,945 of 3,573
I just popped in the thread to say that my E1 Muses is now giving off a burning smell. I have narrowed it down to the headphone amp, as when I pull out my headphones the tip of the jack gives off quite a strong burned smell. The audio also seems to be crackling in and out on some occasions (faint but noticeable).

Welp, I guess this is it. The unit is 3 months old, for ****'s sake. I will not be buying another Asus product anytime soon.

Sure, it's in warranty, but it came from overseas... What a ******* headache.

I just hope this hasn't damaged the jack of my T1 cans!

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #2,946 of 3,573
Yesterday I tried OPA827AU (mounted on dual adapter) and 1612 along with other op amps in various combos.

The best sounding combo to my ears was OPA827 at I/V stage and 49720HA at LPF. 

This is the first time I tried the 827s and I must say that they are different from 2134/5532/4562/49720NA in sound quality - natural sounding with refined top end and deep bass. You get detail and punch. Soundstage is good but not the best.

Price-wise, 827 is not as expensive as 627.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #2,950 of 3,573
Hi guys

Ive spend few days reading this topic but still need to ask u one thing. I own Essence One Muses and im thinking about Beyers 990. Thing is, guy at local store warned me that it would be better to buy 250ohm versions cuz my xonar is probably too weak to power 600 ohm versions (i remember 6moons review saying xonar got 75mw at 600ohms, and beyer spec says 990 are 100mw). On top of that i can only test 250 ones cuz almost no one is buying 600ohm here.

I saw one or two posts of guys testing both 250 and 600ohm version, saying that 600ohm sounds better on this xonar, more natural or having more bass (but like u know, where one person says something is great and powerfull, other person could very well say this is terrible, alot worse and go clean your ears).

Like i said i cant test 600ohm ones (only 250) and since they are around 40% more expensive im still thinking what to do, cuz if u guys are sure essence one can power 600ohms i could blind buy them.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,951 of 3,573
  Hi guys

Ive spend few days reading this topic but still need to ask u one thing. I own Essence One Muses and im thinking about Beyers 990. Thing is, guy at local store warned me that it would be better to buy 250ohm versions cuz my xonar is probably too weak to power 600 ohm versions (i remember 6moons review saying xonar got 75mw at 600ohms, and beyer spec says 990 are 100mw). On top of that i can only test 250 ones cuz almost no one is buying 600ohm here.

I saw one or two posts of guys testing both 250 and 600ohm version, saying that 600ohm sounds better on this xonar, more natural or having more bass (but like u know, where one person says something is great and powerfull, other person could very well say this is terrible, alot worse and go clean your ears).

Like i said i cant test 600ohm ones (only 250) and since they are around 40% more expensive im still thinking what to do, cuz if u guys are sure essence one can power 600ohms i could blind buy them.

Here's at least one person who's tried both Beyers 990 600 ohm and T1

http://www.head-fi.org/t/542563/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011/945#post_8768150

6moons tested the T1 amongst others

Headphone drive potency covers all full-size operators except HifiMan's cruel HE-6 

Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1/T5p, HifiMan HE-500 and Audez'e LCD-2 all proved equal game where the Taiwanese converter reached quite beyond its station.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,952 of 3,573
  Hi guys

600ohm is fine, as always most people underestimate, or can't believe the E1's capabilities and SQ, mainly because it's badge is a IT company.  The only headphone the E1 can not drive to it's fullest potential is the HiFiman HE-6 everything else is fine....

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,953 of 3,573
600ohm is fine, as always most people underestimate, or can't believe the E1's capabilities and SQ, mainly because it's badge is a IT company.  The only headphone the E1 can not drive to it's fullest potential is the HiFiman HE-6 everything else is fine....

I've seen people use hifi speaker amps to drive the HE-6, that's how inefficient they are. LOL

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,954 of 3,573
Hello,
I am maybe interested in the HP-A4, but I have a few questions... :)
I am hoping some of you here on this thread can help me out...
I want to buy a new DAC-Amp combo for my desktop.
I currently use just a Fiio E17 with either IEMS (JVC FX700) or Over-hears (Citispace Uptowns).
I recently pulled the trigger on some Mad Dogs 3.2 and those are the headphones I will be mostly using on my desktop.
That is until the upgrade bug bites again...

Anyway... I have a few options I am considering.
The first one is the least expensiva and it is to keep my current E17 and pick up a Fiio E09K to complement it.
The E17 would be used only as a DAC and the E09K would do the Amplification.

Next option is to buy a new DAC-Amp combo and here I am torn between either the HP-A4 or the Asus Essence One (The non muses edition).
The Fostex costs 3 times what the E09K costs and the Asus is even a bit more expensive than the Fostex.
Both of these go to 24/192 over USB and that is an upgrade over the E17 24/96.

From what I read around the web, both the FOstex and the Asus use the same brand of DAC chips, so sound should be similar.
The Asus has the upsampling feature that I am not sure is good or useful. What makes me think about the Asus is because I read here that the Amp on the HP-A4 is on the weak side... So the asus  might be better as it is rated to drive phones up to 600 Ohms.

Anyway...
Based on what I said, what can you tell me?
Are either the Fostex or the Asus worth the premium over the E09K for sound quality?
How does the HP-A4 drive the Mad Dogs? Will the Asus do a better job?
On a general note, what is your opinion about E09K vs HP-A4 vs Essence One?

Cheers and thanks!

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,955 of 3,573
Don't worry about 24/192 and upsampling - 24/96 is more than high enough. The E09k has significantly more power than the E17 to drive the MadDogs very well. Its 10 ohm output impedance means it probably won't pair well with your IEMs, but you have the E17 for them so it's no problem. The nice thing about the E09k for you is that it will let you use the E17 you already own as a DAC. I think it's a good way for you to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back