Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,231 of 3,573
Quote:
Agree with you 100%. The "sss" comes from vocals that sings/says any word that starts or ends with an "s".
EQ is also a last resort for me, thus i chose to ignore those certain songs. When the volume is lower, the squeal is no longer fatiguing. 

Glad the new cable is working out for you, just be careful about the heat of the op-amps. 

Tim

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, I will have an eye on the temperature. So far I can tell, the opamps are very warm but I think thats still in range. However, the coil is hot. The case is just about warm though. nothing to fear just yet I guess.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,233 of 3,573
Hey guys, maybe I missed something in these 83 pages...  But I was wondering what is going on with the upsampling function?

I've been measuring the XONAR E1 over the last few days with RightMark, and have noticed some really odd behaviour.

With the newest firmware and Win 8 drivers (8.0.11.6 / 1.27 / 0111), this is the frequency response at 16/44 with & without upsampling using the USB interface:

Looks good!

Okay, now check the TosLink & Coaxial inputs at 16/44:

Wow! With the upsampling button on, the frequency drops off in a big way by 15kHz on both TosLink and Coaxial digital inputs for some reason!

Lets now check out USB 24/96:

Again, premature drop off in frequencies with upsampling turned on; this time at ~25kHz which arguably is inaudible at least...

ASUS: Can you discuss what kind of algorithm is being used when upsampling is turned on? Some kind of minimum phase filter upsampling for example could be very interesting!  I think it's fair to say that the drop-offs in the TosLink and Coaxial at 16/44 are "bugs" since this would be audible (maybe the engineers over there should check 24/96 and other sampling rates also)!  As for the drop off with USB 24/96, is this intended?

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #1,236 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes this has been postet on the asus forum many monts ago, i never use upsampling because even on usb with 44,1khz the drop in treble is very audible. So for me upsampling sounded always worse.

I notice the treble getting cut as well. Makes the sound less pronounced, which is no good.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,237 of 3,573
Anyway i´ve been using the ad797br in i/v and 49720ha in lpf and buffer for a while but this combination is still not optimal. It has a very good soundstage and clean sound but it sounds a bit thin and treble heavy. I am still waiting for adapters so i can test the opa827 and the 49990. Maybe there is a better combination with them.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,238 of 3,573
Quote:
Anyway i´ve been using the ad797br in i/v and 49720ha in lpf and buffer for a while but this combination is still not optimal. It has a very good soundstage and clean sound but it sounds a bit thin and treble heavy. I am still waiting for adapters so i can test the opa827 and the 49990. Maybe there is a better combination with them.

As I have posted before, the best sound balance (for my ears) is with AD797br in i/v and LM4562 in lpf.  49720ha's are at output buffers, and yes, they are little too bright at lpf.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,239 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes this has been postet on the asus forum many monts ago, i never use upsampling because even on usb with 44,1khz the drop in treble is very audible. So for me upsampling sounded always worse.

I remember talk of the drop off with USB at 16/44 months ago and it obviously looks like they fixed that, BUT neglected to fix it for the TosLink & coaxial digital inputs!

Also, it would be nice to get an idea what's going on with 24/96 as well...  What kind of upsampler also acts as a low-pass filter?

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,240 of 3,573
Sorry for a lil sidetrack here.. Has anyone here got a chance to test out woo audio's wa22 with hd800s? If so, how does it compare to the E1 Muses edition? Or in general, how does E1 muses edition compare to a high end tube amp (considering its driven by a good dac)?

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,241 of 3,573
Just toying around with my Essence One.

Decided to change up the LED's, as working in the computer industry for so long, i grew a nature to hating the color blue.

ToSlink/Coaxial/USB LED changed to Red/White
Up-sampling LED changed to White
Bit-Perfect LED changed to Ultraviolet
44.1 to 192 LED changed to Red
Power Button LED changed to Red (Stock: 2.68V @ 3mA w/ 751Ω resistor)

Will soon make a small 5V (Measured 4.95V) circuit to make Power Button LED have a "Glowing/Fade" Effect.

Tim

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,242 of 3,573
Well I have the original asus essence one.
Now decided to replace op amp.
How many muses 01 i have to bougth consedering I don t use the headphone section?
Six? In this way I have the same muses config ?
Thanks for

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,243 of 3,573
Quote:
Sorry for a lil sidetrack here.. Has anyone here got a chance to test out woo audio's wa22 with hd800s? If so, how does it compare to the E1 Muses edition? Or in general, how does E1 muses edition compare to a high end tube amp (considering its driven by a good dac)?

Not that I have heard wa22 or E1 muse edition as "yet" I have heard woo audio's wa6-SE feed by E1 standard edition, it was just amazing very vinyl sounding in comparison to the E1 by itself.  However this was with my Fostex TH900 and friends LCD2 v2.  If a tube amp is what you are looking for your HD800 I would suggest as many head-fier would also, Eddie Current's, Zana Deux SE tube amp, some say it makes for the best pairing, and its around the same price as wa22.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,244 of 3,573
Tim or anyone else, do you happen to know where I can find simple DIP8->DIP8 "sockets, so I can place that socket on top of the existing socket of the E1 as a backup?

I've had some trouble just a few minutes ago... I wanted to remove one of the stock NE5532 opamps. Unfortunately, one of those "noses" broke during the process. That means, one half got stuck inside the soldered socket hole... T_T

It was a real pain...however, after an hour of trying to get that tiny little thing out of that hole (I had to turn the E1 upside down and fiddle around with a tiny needle), I managed to get it out.
So to prevent this from happening again I would like to buy another socket just to place it on top of the soldered, original one as a backup.
May I ask what the excact name for it is and where I could buy some of them? - Best some shop that ships to Europe.

If I look it up (DIP 8 adapter or socket), all I find are dozens of pages of stuff I'm not looking for :frowning2:

Any help is much appreciated!

Update:
Hmm guys, I found something: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40016%2Cfff8049c%2C2dc0905&k=ic+socket&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV571=286

or maybe: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dil-sockets/7185155/ ?

Do you think that is the correct one? It looks like it :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back