Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,166 of 3,573
I'm having trouble with SPDIF (Optical) from Creative Titanium HD to my Asus Xonar Essence One. It mostly works, but small audio clips like the one you get when you click the audio mixer / leveler in Windows which give you the small Windows notification sound it clips mid-sound so I only hear the first and the last portion of the audio and not the middle. This is really frustrating as it gives me a hard time noticing Skype notifications and various other things at times.

There is no problem using in for Skype calls, gaming and whatnot so I have no real clue what might cause the issue. I tried switching to coax instead of optical but it does not seem like the Creative Titanium HD supports coax so that didn't work and I have also tried with a complete re-installation of the drivers, the operating system and with standard drivers and modified drivers. They all give the same results.

It's not a huge problem, but it's something I would prefer to get fixed. I'm using SPDIF from Creative Titanium HD in order to get CMSS:3D (surround virtualization) in games and movies as the Essence One does not support any kind of surround matrix itself and there is sadly no support for surround bitstreming like Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Live or anything and no Dolby Headphones, Dolby Pro Logic etc..

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,167 of 3,573
I just stumbled upon something I have never seen before; http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Creative does not mention anything about compatibility with various hardware so I have no clue whether it would work with the Xonar Essence One over USB? But I have people reporting it works with Logitech G930 using USB (external audio card) so unless the C-Media chip in the Xonar Essence One is not supported it should work?

Having the software completely separated from my on-board audio card would make me able to simply toss my Titanium HD out of the loop and simply relay directly on the Essence One running USB and with the Creative Software Suit I would still be able to get the surround virtualisation I want.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,168 of 3,573
  I'm having trouble with SPDIF (Optical) from Creative Titanium HD to my Asus Xonar Essence One. It mostly works, but small audio clips like the one you get when you click the audio mixer / leveler in Windows which give you the small Windows notification sound it clips mid-sound so I only hear the first and the last portion of the audio and not the middle. This is really frustrating as it gives me a hard time noticing Skype notifications and various other things at times.

There is no problem using in for Skype calls, gaming and whatnot so I have no real clue what might cause the issue. I tried switching to coax instead of optical but it does not seem like the Creative Titanium HD supports coax so that didn't work and I have also tried with a complete re-installation of the drivers, the operating system and with standard drivers and modified drivers. They all give the same results.

It's not a huge problem, but it's something I would prefer to get fixed. I'm using SPDIF from Creative Titanium HD in order to get CMSS:3D (surround virtualization) in games and movies as the Essence One does not support any kind of surround matrix itself and there is sadly no support for surround bitstreming like Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Live or anything and no Dolby Headphones, Dolby Pro Logic etc..

I just stumbled upon something I have never seen before; http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Creative does not mention anything about compatibility with various hardware so I have no clue whether it would work with the Xonar Essence One over USB? But I have people reporting it works with Logitech G930 using USB (external audio card) so unless the C-Media chip in the Xonar Essence One is not supported it should work?

Having the software completely separated from my on-board audio card would make me able to simply toss my Titanium HD out of the loop and simply relay directly on the Essence One running USB and with the Creative Software Suit I would still be able to get the surround virtualisation I want.

There's something else you can try, namely Voicemeeter Banana.

If you install Voicemeeter Banana, your get two new devices in windows playback devices. One will be called "Voicemeter Input" which you set up as normal, so if its multi channel then make it multi channel, then select that as the default device.

Now run Voicemeeter Banana, everything will now be coming into Voicemeeter Banana under "Virtual Inputs" on the Voicemeter VAIO channel. You need to enable A1 on that channel which will send it to the A1 channel in the master section.

Now click on the A1 next to "hardware out" and select your Essences One (your essence one must be on), one of those in the list should be ASIO, if you enable that, your bit perfect light should come on.

Then give it a try.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

That other device in playback devices is for the other virtual channel Voicemeeter AUX.

There's a manual on that page I linked to, its not that hard to figure out, I use it for the Parametric EQ with Spotify free.

Disconnect your optical cable before you start.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,169 of 3,573
I wasn't entirely sure on how to get VoiceMeter Banana working correctly. But what I've done thus far is;

- "Speakers - Creative SB X-Fi" as default playback device in Windows with 5,1-speaker setup and with CMSS:3D headphone enabled in the Creative software. This is in order to get the CMSS:3D working properly. Pushing it over toslink has been somewhat difficult as it will suddenly drop the CMSS:3D / DSP at times.

- Enable ""What U Hear" - Creative SB X-Fi" as Hardware Input 1 in VoiceMeter Banana. This way I will get everything played through "Speakers - Creative SB X-Fi" routed through VoiceMeter Banana and pushed to whatever I put as Hardware Out. I did run the CMSS:3D test and it seems to be working as intended so this preservers all the DPS-effects from Creative.

- Enable "Asus Xonar Essence One" as the A1 Hardware Out so I get the audio on my headphones through the DAC.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is whether this whole "What U Hear" thing is the ideal way to go? It was the only logical way I could seem to get things working. Secondly I'm not sure what's the difference between choosing WDM and MME on "What U Hear" as the input. I simply selected WDM as it was the topmost alternative. Same goes for A1 and Hardware Out. I can select WDM, KS, MME or ASIO. I did go with ASIO at first, but I noticed that every five or so seconds I would have a small pop noise which got rather annoying and it's gone when I chose KS instead.

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #3,170 of 3,573
  I wasn't entirely sure on how to get VoiceMeter Banana working correctly. But what I've done thus far is;

- "Speakers - Creative SB X-Fi" as default playback device in Windows with 5,1-speaker setup and with CMSS:3D headphone enabled in the Creative software. This is in order to get the CMSS:3D working properly. Pushing it over toslink has been somewhat difficult as it will suddenly drop the CMSS:3D / DSP at times.

- Enable ""What U Hear" - Creative SB X-Fi" as Hardware Input 1 in VoiceMeter Banana. This way I will get everything played through "Speakers - Creative SB X-Fi" routed through VoiceMeter Banana and pushed to whatever I put as Hardware Out. I did run the CMSS:3D test and it seems to be working as intended so this preservers all the DPS-effects from Creative.

- Enable "Asus Xonar Essence One" as the A1 Hardware Out so I get the audio on my headphones through the DAC.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is whether this whole "What U Hear" thing is the ideal way to go? It was the only logical way I could seem to get things working. Secondly I'm not sure what's the difference between choosing WDM and MME on "What U Hear" as the input. I simply selected WDM as it was the topmost alternative. Same goes for A1 and Hardware Out. I can select WDM, KS, MME or ASIO. I did go with ASIO at first, but I noticed that every five or so seconds I would have a small pop noise which got rather annoying and it's gone when I chose KS instead.

You should have left your setup exactly the same but just made the default device in windows playback devices "Voicemeter Input", think of it like this VoiceMeter Banana takes over the job of windows playback devices, you select the outputs to the hardware at "hardware out" A1, A2, A3 in VoiceMeter Banana.

That way every thing goes through VoiceMeter Banana on the Voicemeter VAIO channel as I described above. I wouldn't even use the hardware inputs in VoiceMeter Banana.

If you go to the bottom of the page in the link there's a manual, it explains what WDM, MME are (one is wasapi), there's also some options under menu/settings that you might need to use, I had to change the buffering size to get rid of some funny sounds.

I'm pretty sure if you try and follow what I said above it should work.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #3,171 of 3,573
Maybe this will help

Check the screenshot below, once you have made "Voicemeter Input" the default device in windows playback devices the only thing you should be interested in are the channels I've left the faders up on.

Don't forget if its a multi channel device you have to set up "Voicemeter Input" as multi channel just as you would a real device in playback devices.

http://i.imgur.com/rm9OyjL.png

It comes in on "Voicemeter VAIO" and goes out on A1

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,172 of 3,573
Hi guys, 

Tried myself few opamps lately in I/V and LPF stages, like: OPA1602, LME49720, MUSES8820, OPA2604, OPA1642, OPA2132PA and MUSES02; FETs in I/V and bipolars in LPF.
I bought OPA1642 because is a step up in every aspect from OPA2134 and TI recommends it as an upgrade in audio chain: https://e2e.ti.com/support/amplifiers/precision_amplifiers/w/design_notes/upgrading-op-amps-in-audio-equipment. If anyone else experimented with this opamp, please let me/us know your conclusions.

Haven't seen people trying the below combination, so...I'll just post my thoughts here:

- In LPF, MUSES02 and MUSES8820 are very similar; also OPA1602 is about the same too (perhaps not so detailed).
- The only FET I tried in LPF was OPA2604 and this is quite neutral, not bright at all and not very detailed...a bit dark I'd say and might be good to pair with bright headphones.

- Best soundstage is with OPA2604 in I/V, but oscillates a lot and can't be a keeper. Not very detailed, but soundstage was great.
- OPA2132PA + MUSES02 is detailed and a bit bright with good soundstage.
- OPA1642 and MUSES8820 has a very similar sound with the OPA2132PA+MUSES02 from above, maybe a little bit more mid-range (saxophone)...but very difficult to conclude 100%. Sound is clean and definitely more detailed then NE5532, a little bit more bright I'd say, but a bit more spacious and relaxed.

As I couldn't keep MUSES02 for myself (borrowed from a friend) now I'm using 4 x OPA1642 in I/V, 2 x MUSES8820 in LPF, 2 x MUSES8820 in headamp input stage (yes, I replaced LME49720 with MUSES8820) and original LM4562 in buffer stage RCA/XLR.

Also, I realized that LM4562 is included into schematic only because of volume pot from the middle. :) So, anyone can bypass the 3 x LM4562, based on "best opamp is no opamp" and get the outputs directly from LPF opamps; output voltage will remain unchanged, just don't forget to add the output capacitors for any possible DC voltage (by default there is no DC on LPF outputs, but in case of PSU or opamp failure it will be a lot of DC on output pins!).

Also, just measured the other day with my Picoscope the PSU ripple + noise (RMS) and it's only about few hundreds of uVolts on each rail (250-500uV), so this looks pretty OK for me. BTW, if someone replaced the main PSU capacitors with bigger ones, please let us know the values for ripple + noise (RMS). Thanks!

Anyway, best upgrade for my E1 was the GOSS band around the trafo, which completely removed the barely audible hum. BTW, the hum I was hearing initially to my E1 I was able to hear it to another E1 of a friend of mine too, having the original PCB (non-MUSES edition, without gain jumpers), so K550 are really sensitive for this job. :)

Headphones used for testing: DT880/600, K701 and K550.

Regards and happy modding, 
Raul.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,173 of 3,573
  OPA1642 and MUSES8820 has a very similar sound with the OPA2132PA+MUSES02 from above, maybe a little bit more mid-range (saxophone)...but very difficult to conclude 100%. Sound is clean and definitely more detailed then NE5532, a little bit more bright I'd say, but a bit more spacious and relaxed.

I have muses01 and muses02 in my essence one but had experimented with opa1642's in the E1 in the past before sticking with the mus01/02 combo as in the MKII.   Your post got me thinking about trying the opa1642's in my Marchand XM44. I only had 6 of the OPA1642's so I put them into the input stage and the high pass filter.   I must say that I agree with your observations ... a little more  pronounced midrangee  and more high end ...almost seems like it gained an octave but some recordings are not that detailed in the upper end of the HF so not sure if it's the opamp or the recording.   Need to listen more than just the one day  they've been in.   Need 10 more to completely fill the XM44 with 1642's so will do some more listening to decide if it might be worth in.   Just curious...did you stick with the 1642's or did you give up on them for some of the observations that I've  made?

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #3,174 of 3,573
Hi endeeinn and thanks for your post.

I bought OPA1642 especially to test them in E1's I/V stage, mostly based on TI's recommandations.

I'm curious if you can re-test 4 x OPA1642 in your E1's I/V stage and do a quick compare with MUSES01 (stage, details etc.). This is something it hasn't been done before on Head-Fi...I guess. :)

Thank you, 
Raul.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,175 of 3,573
  Hi endeeinn and thanks for your post.

I bought OPA1642 especially to test them in E1's I/V stage, mostly based on TI's recommandations.

I'm curious if you can re-test 4 x OPA1642 in your E1's I/V stage and do a quick compare with MUSES01 (stage, details etc.). This is something it hasn't been done before on Head-Fi...I guess. :)

Thank you, 
Raul.

I've got a few projects in the works that I need to finish before I can AB the 1642/Muse01 but I can tell you I had the same concerns as with my XM44.  The 1642s had seemed like they opened up another octave with a lot more detail but they seemed a little harsh....I liked them but the was something ....not so with the Muse01s ... they went in an WOW! ... smoooooooth AND detailed...never took them out again.   When I got the DSD upgrade kit  Muse02s went into slot 2...a little improvement but not as much as the 01s in I/V.   The 01's are the biggest bang for the buck.   My advice would be to save your money and forget the 1642's and find a dealer that will sell you the real deal - not fakes and spring for the muse01s.   I'm only messing with the 1642's in my XM44 because I have them and 16 Muse01s will be a chunk of change ... but I might spring for a couple for my input stage.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3,176 of 3,573
  I've got a few projects in the works that I need to finish before I can AB the 1642/Muse01 but I can tell you I had the same concerns as with my XM44.  The 1642s had seemed like they opened up another octave with a lot more detail but they seemed a little harsh....I liked them but the was something ....not so with the Muse01s ... they went in an WOW! ... smoooooooth AND detailed...never took them out again.   When I got the DSD upgrade kit  Muse02s went into slot 2...a little improvement but not as much as the 01s in I/V.   The 01's are the biggest bang for the buck.   My advice would be to save your money and forget the 1642's and find a dealer that will sell you the real deal - not fakes and spring for the muse01s.   I'm only messing with the 1642's in my XM44 because I have them and 16 Muse01s will be a chunk of change ... but I might spring for a couple for my input stage.

I just took the 1642's out of my XM44 and replaced with the 2132's and all is sweet again.  There is more detail ... what I though was increased high frequency I realize now was increased high frequency distortion.    The opa2132's are more listenable without the harshness.  I realize you would still like to compare them in the E1 and hopefully one day I'll get around to it.   Suffice it to say my impression of the 1642's is that they are harsher than the 2132's.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,177 of 3,573
Hi Everyone!

I would suggest you to try LT1498 in I/V. It's one of the best opamp in I/V found on another forum in Asus Essence One thread for more than a year already. I am surprised no one on Head-Fi tryed it yet so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,179 of 3,573
Hi, guys.

Is this muses fake or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back