Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jun 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #2,176 of 3,573
Wow β22 did you build it yourself? I've read a lot about this amp, the research I did on this amp ultimately led me to to HeadAmp's GS-X mk2 which I love and didn't have to build. I know building your own amp would be more rewarding, but I'm not that advanced yet, maybe one day....

As far as Senn's amps I really don't know sorry, I would say they should pair well with the HD800 you would hope so..... However if going by the results I had with pairing my Fostex TH900 with the HP-A8C it really wasn't very good, I prefer XEO Muses

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,177 of 3,573
Nope, bought it pretty much cost price of parts. I was in the process of building a 6channel unit. But I was having great difficulty sourcing the expensive diode used in the amp module. So it was in the back burner. I'm still trying to finish it, most likely sell the 4 channel once I finish the 6 channel. Please note anyone building a balance beta22 the sound quality of 4channel vs 6channel sound exactly the same in balance mode. Only advantage is the single ended as you initialize the active ground channel. I only realised this when I thoroughly read the build guild.

Also, great thing with the beta22 if you build it with large heatsink and large transformers. You can drive efficient speakers. I'm currently using it with a proac studio 100 clone with upgraded capacitors. Crazy, crazy ass sound. Highly recommended.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661816/beta22-with-sigma22-built-by-naamanf-220v

Bought the above unit. Had to change the toroidal transformer to 2 x 240V 160VA.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,178 of 3,573
Alright, so I finally got a replacement unit from Centrecom this Wednesday and also got the time to test it tonight for the first time (been busy with exam studies) and WOW...I am SO HAPPY! :)

The imbalance problem at low volume is not there anymore with this replacement unit. I have tested it with 2 of my low impedance headphones (Noontec Zoro and Klipsch x7i) and both of them have NO imbalance problem. The sound is still extremely high at low volume but not imbalance. For some reason I also noticed that the volume knob is a bit TIGHTER to turn on this unit compared to the other one (could be just my placebo though).

The thing I am really annoyed about the E1 is that the built quality is not very good (not 100% perfect). For those who have read my earlier posts here should know that the reason that I returned my first unit was because there were scratches on the front panel when I first opened the box. I was looking around this new unit tonight and the first thing I noticed was that the power button was not straight but slightly bent towards the top and there is also a dot scratch on the back of the unit too!!!

Oh well, I guess I can live with these tinny imperfections since they sound quite awesome to my ears.

Now the next thing to do is to put my 6 Muses01 into the unit after my exams. I want to listen to these stock op amps for a bit first so I can compare them to the Muses01 (they came this week too)! :)

I will post a link where I got the Muses01 from after I have installed them and make sure they work 100%. They are so much CHEAPER than anywhere else I can find!!!

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,179 of 3,573
That's really good to hear DMax99 that your replacement unit has fixed the imbalance issue.
 I'm suspecting the volume knob is tighter because they replaced the B10K pot with A10K in the newer unit as stated by Gandah.

Any chance you take some internal photo to confirm this DMax99?

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,180 of 3,573
nice one
gs1000.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,181 of 3,573
That's really good to hear DMax99 that your replacement unit has fixed the imbalance issue.
 I'm suspecting the volume knob is tighter because they replaced the B10K pot with A10K in the newer unit as stated by Gandah.

Any chance you take some internal photo to confirm this DMax99?

Of course I can, but I will probably do it when I am rolling my op amps after my exams (after 2 weeks time). Also, I am not sure what both B10K and A10K are (i'm an electrical noob) so I won't know where exactly to take the pictures of.

Btw...I reckon for those who has an imbalanced unit, you guys should contact ASUS and ask them to get you a replacement unit too!!...Because this imbalance problem should be counted as manufacture design DEFECTS!

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,182 of 3,573
Hi DMax99, when you pop the XE1 (Xonar Essence One) open to switch over the opamps. Just photo of where the two volume controls are. They are both green with A10K in black writing. Can't miss. Good luck with your exams

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,185 of 3,573
Of course I can, but I will probably do it when I am rolling my op amps after my exams (after 2 weeks time). Also, I am not sure what both B10K and A10K are (i'm an electrical noob) so I won't know where exactly to take the pictures of.

Btw...I reckon for those who has an imbalanced unit, you guys should contact ASUS and ask them to get you a replacement unit too!!...Because this imbalance problem should be counted as manufacture design DEFECTS!

I can't replace my unit through Asus. Bought it for $250 AUD second hand. :frowning2:
Can't complain really. That why i wanted to know the source where i can buy the A10K pot. So I can desolder the old pot and replace it with the A10K pot. Bought two via Gandah's Aliexpress link. But I'm not sure it the right ones, still waiting for them to arrive. Will update this thread once I receive them.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,186 of 3,573
I can't replace my unit through Asus. Bought it for $250 AUD second hand. :frowning2:
Can't complain really. That why i wanted to know the source where i can buy the A10K pot. So I can desolder the old pot and replace it with the A10K pot. Bought two via Gandah's Aliexpress link. But I'm not sure it the right ones, still waiting for them to arrive. Will update this thread once I receive them.

Wow... That's cheap... Did you get it from eBay? Actually there was one that hot sold for about 250 shipped. I was so tempted to buy another one as I could've got free pick up that would end up costing me only about 222.

But then.. That could be an imbalance unit too haha

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,187 of 3,573
Local pickup gumtree, came with original box plus opamps set found in the plus version and extra dual mono OP627AU. He lost the receipt, which is why he offered $250 AUD. which is why I want to turn this thing into a beast. I'm placing an order to replace all the caps to nichicon kt > ka series. Power caps to nichicon kw series. I'm still waiting for my muses 01 to arrive

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,188 of 3,573
Local pickup gumtree, came with original box plus opamps set found in the plus version and extra dual mono OP627AU. He lost the receipt, which is why he offered $250 AUD. which is why I want to turn this thing into a beast. I'm placing an order to replace all the caps to nichicon kt > ka series. Power caps to nichicon kw series. I'm still waiting for my muses 01 to arrive

Oh? That's such a good bargain!

Where did you get your muses01 from?

Just wondering after I replaced the 6 op amps in the balanced/unbalanced section, should I also swap the 2 in the headphone section too? Would that further change the sound quality?

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2,190 of 3,573
Bought the muses from eBay.
BTW, DMax99. I saw your post regarding the Melbourne meet. Is anyone allowed to attend, or do you have to setup a stall? I'm keen on going to try out some gear before purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back