Asus Chromebox and streaming FLAC from NAS... Some info-help needed please!
Nov 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
I've been searching around for information on this, and haven't quite found anything useful yet.

Anywho, one of my brothers gave me a NIB Asus Chromebox PC and I would love to use it with a Schiit Modi or even my well broken-in Bifrost (temporarily) on my headphone rig in the bedroom. Right now I've been streaming my FLAC files from my NAS to an old iPad which works great and sounds pretty decent considering, but I want better. I want to use a good quality DAC in this system and just can't do it with the old iPad. 

My questions... 

1) Does anyone know if there's any possible way of accessing the network or even the NAS and streaming those FLAC files to the Chromebox? 

2) Are there any specific "apps" that can be installed that will allow this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Ok, So your best bet is probably to use Crouton, https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton to install a Linux OS on the Chromebox, and then use mpd (music player daemon) to stream the music from your NAS and output to your Modi or Bifrost via USB. Volumio is Debian based, so it should be quite easy to configure, as Debian is mentioned on the Crouton site. There is an active forum on the Volumio site as well as on diyaudio (it started out as Rasbfi (or something like that)..

I use Volumio to stream from a Voyage(another Debian based small distro) based server to Volumio running on a Cubieboard2 (small low power android/linux board).

There is also a Voyage distro called Voyage MPD that would also do the same job as Volumio, but it does not have the Web base configuration/interface that Volumio has (yet).

You could also look at Rune Audio but it is Arch based and may not be as easy to implement with Crouton. I'd like to put some of the Rune stuff on Debian myself, as they've added album art to their interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back